Defensive Carry banner

"Inception" shooting method - curious?

12K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  dunndw 
#1 ·
Was re-watching Inception, the Christopher Nolan film recently and noticed something strange. In the first scene when Dom Cobb (DiCaprio) is firing, he keeps taking his support hand and cupping it over his ejection port. I've heard before that DiCaprio is known for training in firearms before his roles (witness Blood Diamond so I'm kind of curious where this shooting style came from. Is he trying to catch his ejected shells so they don't hit the floor? Is that even possible?

#2 ·
Don't know sounds interesting I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that if i decide to watch this movie later today. If he is trying to catch the brass in theory its possible but you'd think he'd either 1. burn his hand if he did catch the brass and/or 2. get hit with rising gun under recoil

#3 ·
Or 3. Cause a stoppage. I've seen it at IDPA matches, where the shooter has the ejection port close to an object like a wall or barricade. The brass is prevented from ejecting, and the gun stops.

Matt

#4 ·
There are very few shooting "styles" that come out of hollywood that I'm inclined to emulate...... To each his/her own, of course.....

#11 ·
I wouldn't rely on Hollywood for any shooting methods or techniques....it's entertainment--nothing more.

#16 ·
I saw the movie and also noted this.

It was not a shooting 'style' that he had employed.
More accurately it was an employed manner of gun handling, not shooting.

Recall the _specifics_ of what was happening in the movie when he did this...

He was sneaking into an area trying to be covert with very specific intent to make no noise, and thus be 'undetected'.
His gun was fitted with a muffler/silencer AND he had discretely charged the pistol to again reduce noise so as to not be 'detected'.

[I'm trying here to not give away the story plot...These items were key to the movies overall plot, and later well explained as to reason and again methods.]

As he approached an adversary he fired with his strong hand and used his weak hand to _catch_ the _ejected brass_, single shot by single shot to the adversary's heads.
He went on to do this as I recall three times in succession...The whole time he specifically per the momentary movie plot trying to be covert and specifically silent in his approach. He was attempting to sneak into and steal the 'plan' from the clients safe. This was at the beginning of the film during the plot development phase.

Throughout the rest of the movie no such manner of gun handling was used as the issue of being covert and maintaining absolute silence was no longer plot relevant.

- Janq

"I wouldn't rely on Hollywood for any shooting methods or techniques." - SigGuy229

#17 ·
It took some effort but I located a trailer showing exactly what DiCaprio did during that scene per the OPs query.

Reference time frames :02 to :05.
It goes by very quickly so do not blink...

New Trailer for Inception -- Character Featurette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmdlJ8foxBA

Again this was not a shooting style employed, rather just a momentary manner of gun handling specific to the scene effort and overall movie plot.

- Janq

#20 ·
Honestly, not really.
Because it is not likely real.

How can you tell?
The best tell is that the _actor_ does not blink during the so called shot (!).

It takes time and training effort to defeat the involuntary blink with the shot. An advanced shooters developed skill.
I've never seen an actor pull this off....They always blink [the startle effect].

In this case DiCaprio does not blink during the inserted audio of him firing a shot. Also you see no actual ejection of a brass nor any recoil from the gun; The gun dips low upon trigger depression...But no _rise_ as a normal gun does at recoil even with sub-sonic ammo.
Also there was never a flash and in this specific scene the gun is shown from the bore end perspective.

Hollyweird....A place where physics, biology and normal human conditions do not apply.

SigGuy had it right.

- Janq

#21 ·
Oh, I would find it hard to be real & then actually hit what was being aimed at........just looks cool.

#22 ·
Personally, I drill that maneuver at least twice a week... I call it the 'leave no brass behind' drill. I also do the running upside down in the hall thing, but that one gets a little boring unless you can get someone to blow stuff up behind you!

:rolleyes:

#24 ·
Also the gun does rise but his left hand stops it thus probably why he missed the brass. If you watch it again you can see his left hand get jared by the suppressor.

Not saying i agree with Hollywood im just saying. No offence Jang.:embarassed:

#26 ·
Jang, Couldnt agree with you more. Now maybe if I worked for the blah blah blah and had a license to blah.....i might attempt it, but other than that ill keep both hands on my weapon unless im firing from the hip.

#27 ·
If I worked for blah blah blah and had a licence to blah, then I'd have minions to police my brass, come up with a cover story, and to fetch my coffee :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.