2 more Rugers & Range report

This is a discussion on 2 more Rugers & Range report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past weekend was Shoot Straight's annual sale here in Orlando and as usual I gave into temptation and bought a gun. Saturday when I ...

This past weekend was Shoot Straight's annual sale here in Orlando and as usual I gave into temptation and bought a gun. Saturday when I went to "look" at the sale and get my super blackhawk repaired an LCR .357 happened to follow me home. Sunday went back to pick up my blackhawk with my dad and we somehow had a SR40 follow us home. Darn Rugers just seem to not want to stay in the gun stores when we are around.

Monday took them out to the range. Didn't set up any formal targets just shot at the steel plates/bowling pins. The sr40 was surprisingly light on recoil I expected a bit more from a light gun. Sights were on target for me when I didn't mess up my shots. Only put 50 rounds though it since until i get around to getting dies and molds for .40 cal I can't really afford to shoot it all that much. Not bad for our first .40 I think we made a good choice.

I also had the LCR out to stretch its legs. I knew there would be recoil but was still surprised at how much there was shooting full .357 loads. I haven't gotten to the range as much as I should lately so that definitely didn't help me out any. Fired some ww box .38 specials, ww box .357s and some of my .357 mag reloads. Shockingly to me I shot best with my reloads even though they are full magnum loads so I don't know what to make of that I'd have thought I'd shoot .38 special best. Definitely need more practice with the LCR before I use it as my after work breakfast gun and trip to the store gun thus replacing my P238. Don't regret this purchase yet but who knows what is to come.

Pictures as will be requested if I didn't put them are attached. Also included is the Ruger family that resides in my house minus the p95dc that i forgot to get and include in the picture
    Attached Images

Congrats and thanks for the range report. I'm looking forward to seeing an SR40c and the rumored single stack 9 Ruger is supposed to be coming out with soon.

I have the original LCR .38 special. It's been very good to me. I like the .357 too, if for no other reason, better ammo selection in a pinch.

One particular nice thing, imho, about the LCR line is the cylinder release design. My thumb won't bump against it and get bloodied no matter the combination of small gun+high grip+heavy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Congrats and thanks for the range report. I'm looking forward to seeing an SR40c and the rumored single stack 9 Ruger is supposed to be coming out with soon.
    where can i find more on this rumor!?

and thanks for the range report, good to hear that the SR40 is a light shooting gun =D

Just a guess but, I am thinking you are a big Ruger fan.

Looks like a fine collection you have there and I thank you for the range report. I too am looking forward to actually firing an SR40. Glad to hear that it is a light recoil 40.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I love the LCR and found the .357 to have as much or less recoil than my steel j-frames due to the polymer frame design

GM
    Congrats and enjoy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've got more Rugers in my stable than any other single manufacturer...good stuff!!!! Sounds like you've got your bases covered.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Save all the brass fired from your gun, & when you get die's, You'll be good to go. PS Congrats on your Rugers Great Guns ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

rammerjammer - Haven't heard that rumor but as thin as the SR9 is I doubt I'd bother with a single stack 9 unless it was pocket sized. I originally went to get an SR9C sunday but dad decided that we didn't need another 9 mm so we got the 40 instead. Either way its a Ruger so I'm happy

NoSlack - The cylinder release is the thing I currently dislike the most on the LCR right now. I'm hoping its so stiff just because it is new and with use will break in, probably also doesn't help that I'm used to the release on my security six which is older than I am. Since the .357 version was only $20 more I got it because 1. I'm too lazy to adjust my dies to do .38 special and 2. like you said the advantage of choosing .38 special or .357 mag ammo

azchevy - haven't shot a j-frame so i can't compare it to that i only have the 2 security sixes to compare it to and of course it has more, which I knew before I bought it. The .44 was kicking hard monday too which means I have to get off my butt and shoot more so the recoil will come down once I go out and shoot more

GM - thanks I will

BugDude - Same here we have 9 Ruger pistols. My XD45 and the two other .22s we have are the only non Ruger pistols we own. Rifle wise its about 50/50 i think

hogdaddy - I already have a 5 gallon bucket 80+% full of .40 brass that I've had for over a year by picking them up at the IDPA/IPSC matches. Tried to pass some out to friends but not many people I know own a .40 let alone reload for it. I ordered another lee 20# melting pot, mold, size/lube die, and top punch on monday, they should be here this coming monday. Was going to order the dies from dillon but i didn't want to pay $19 in shipping so I'll be getting them at the gun show at the end of the month. Probably pick up another magazine and a holster for at least the LCR. I think I can make due with my p345 holster for my SR40 since it fits just as well.

Links