ambi safety issues

ambi safety issues

This is a discussion on ambi safety issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; on my 1911 i have looked down a few times and found my safety off, is this just the ambi safety catching things and turning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ambi safety issues

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

ambi safety issues

on my 1911 i have looked down a few times and found my safety off, is this just the ambi safety catching things and turning it off or is there an issue other than that, i am considering installing a single safety to fix this, what are your thoughts?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    If you are not actually using the ambidextrous safety on the flip side then it's probably best to just get rid of it.

You should know in advance though that most (if not all) aftermarket thumb safeties are not "drop in" parts and will require gunsmith fitting if you are not used to doing fine & careful fie work or stoning.

The internal fit of the thumb safety to the sear is critical since it needs to move up and physically block the sear and to do that without allowing the sear to move at all when the thumb safety is engaged.

It is possible to do the installation job yourself and there are instructions on the web for fitting a thumb safety.

Truthfully it is not that difficult if you can carefully follow instructions.

See this page here about halfway down the page to get an idea of exactly what is involved.
    You only need to carefully file one simple, tiny, flat but, not to ever remove too much metal or you'll be buying a new safety and you will need to start over.

Click this link to read the Brownell's instructions.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...1911___Part_VI

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Terrible invention. I've removed it from every pistol I own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Terrible invention. I've removed it from every pistol I own.
    Unless you are left-handed, or if you have ever considered the need to use your gun in your off hand. Every gun I have with manual safeties is ambidextrous.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you are not actually using the ambidextrous safety on the flip side then it's probably best to just get rid of it.

You should know in advance though that most (if not all) aftermarket thumb safeties are not "drop in" parts and will require gunsmith fitting if you are not used to doing fine & careful fie work or stoning.

The internal fit of the thumb safety to the sear is critical since it needs to move up and physically block the sear and to do that without allowing the sear to move at all when the thumb safety is engaged.

It is possible to do the installation job yourself and there are instructions on the web for fitting a thumb safety.

Truthfully it is not that difficult if you can carefully follow instructions.

See this page here about halfway down the page to get an idea of exactly what is involved.
    You only need to carefully file one simple, tiny, flat but, not to ever remove too much metal or you'll be buying a new safety and you will need to start over.

Click this link to read the Brownell's instructions.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...1911___Part_VI
    Chris, I would say he knows exactly what he is talking about, and I cant add anything except my personal opinion of ambi safeties; when there is something that worrys or concerns you about your carry piece, fix it or scrap it. Also I agree with 21bubba here too, it was an answer in search of a question that no one ask.

Being left handed, and wanting the ablity to shoow with either hand, I find it a answer to a long asked question. I've never had any of mine disengage in the holster.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Administrator
    For a SD scenario it is actually amazingly easy for a right handed shooter to snick the standard non-ambi thumb safety on and off with the support side hand, it just requires a bit of advance practice.

Naturally, a left handed shooter would (of course) prefer having the ambidextrous safety for a daily carry pistol but, if you are a right handed shooter and your right side arm has been taken out of the fight it is not that difficult to get the standard thumb safety off.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Chris, I would say he knows exactly what he is talking about, and I cant add anything except my personal opinion of ambi safeties; when there is something that worrys or concerns you about your carry piece, fix it or scrap it. Also I agree with 21bubba here too, it was an answer in search of a question that no one asked.
    Agree. Ambi-safeties involve more mechanics, and therefore more to go wrong when you'll least expect them to. An ambi-safety simply adds to the whole when you don't need to add anything. Need less of anything and keep it simple IMO. Strange thing......ambi-safeties are put on basically right handed shooters anyway. If you're left handed, what's the use if the ejection port isn't on the left side? Ambi-safeties just don't make sense to me in many ways. Just another add-on that will cost you more than you need to spend. IMO of course.

Contact Ivan he can have Arnel swap the safety out for you, great guys. Keep his info handy too these two handle all RIA issues and Arnel is a master gunsmith he can modify your 1911 anyway you want.

Ivan J. Walcott
    Sales Manager
    Armscor Precision/Advanced Tactical
    150 N Smart Way
    Pahrump, NV 89060
    Phone 775-537-1444
    Fax 775-537-1446

ivan@armscor.net

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    on my 1911 i have looked down a few times and found my safety off, is this just the ambi safety catching things and turning it off or is there an issue other than that, i am considering installing a single safety to fix this, what are your thoughts?
    No other issue, your thumb safety was poorly fitted, follow QK's instructions, also deepen the detent on the thumb safety itself slightly and purchase a new plunger tube spring from Wolff's (http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%.../mID1/dID1#818) and you won't have a problem with the safety "snicking off" by itself. Or, as mentioned, contact Ivan, we've heard nothing but good things on M1911.ORG about their customer service.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Well, I've right-handed and actually like my ambi-safety. Have it on my EDC, NEVER had it dis-engage by itself..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have to shoot left handed due to an injury,I have 4 1911's they all have ambi-safetys and they all work.It's very possible the recess in the safety the detent engages to keep the safety from moving is not deep enough,you can use a small file and slowly deepen the notch until it holds the safety on securely,but allows you to take the safety off with either side.Or if you don't need the ambi safety you can probably sell it for more than a single safety will cost you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Actually if he has the ambi thumb safety in the ON position and it is moving to OFF from the engaged position by itself - that would be a problem with a weak plunger spring in the plunger tube & would not have anything to do with the little Thumb Safety detent.
    The function of the little detent in the thumb safety is to keep the safety in the OFF position and to prevent it from inadvertantly moving up to ON.
    I'm sure that dukalmighty is already aware of that but, I am just adding this as greater clarification for the less informed.
    So....He should also check to make certain that there is not an actual dent in the plunger tube or roughness or rust inside the plunger tube or anything that would prevent the plunger from exerting full plunger spring force onto the thumb safety.
    Sometimes just a small drop of Break Free inside the plunger tube will allow the plunger to move more freely if it's hanging up and not exerting full force onto the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have to shoot left handed due to an injury,I have 4 1911's they all have ambi-safetys and they all work.It's very possible the recess in the safety the detent engages to keep the safety from moving is not deep enough,you can use a small file and slowly deepen the notch until it holds the safety on securely,but allows you to take the safety off with either side.Or if you don't need the ambi safety you can probably sell it for more than a single safety will cost you

OD*
    You're quite right, QK, for whatever reason, I was thinking of the detent holding the slide stop in place. You file down the front ledge of the thumb safety to make it easier to take OFF safety (if using a weaker plunger spring doesn't work).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Agree. Ambi-safeties involve more mechanics, and therefore more to go wrong when you'll least expect them to. An ambi-safety simply adds to the whole when you don't need to add anything. Need less of anything and keep it simple IMO. Strange thing......ambi-safeties are put on basically right handed shooters anyway. If you're left handed, what's the use if the ejection port isn't on the left side? Ambi-safeties just don't make sense to me in many ways. Just another add-on that will cost you more than you need to spend. IMO of course.
    Hey Ramrod, I'm in that 10% of left handers, name a few left side eject autos, would ya? And I know Charter makes a left handed revolver, but I would carry a truly ambi TC Contender before that. We're so used to shooting Right Hand me downs, we don't care where the empty pops out. But we know JMB, and Sam Colt love us, just work the levers and buttons on a 1911 left handed, or load up an SAA.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links