Opinions wanted on the Walther P22

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted on the Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Everybody! I'm considering buying a Walther P22, probably with the factory laser and would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, and comments from anyone who owns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted on the Walther P22

Hi Everybody!

I'm considering buying a Walther P22, probably with the factory laser and would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, and comments from anyone who owns one.
    Considering it just as a fun 'plinker' and NOT for CC.

I've heard that there's currently a recall on them - is that true?

Thanks in advance!!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

My father has the Walther. We don't use it was much as we should. Probably over 1000 rounds by now. I didn't care for it at first, but have warmed up to it now. Before I wanted larger calibers, but came to realize the advantages of a .22 for practice.

Having put some time in with it I would recommend it. Just make sure to clean and lube it.

Also, its nice having a .22 that is similar to other guns I shoot. The others I saw like the rugers seem to far off from the semi's I'm used too

No experience personally with the P22, but I've posted before about my thinking of such, and what I've seen on the range and in the matches. The P22 impresses me somewhat over many pistols in 22LR. That's about all I can say at this point, looking from the outside.

I bought one for the grandkids and training others. It's a fun gun to shoot, but the safety is backwards for us 1911 shooters. The only problem is it's terrible accuracy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

We have them as rentals at the range where I work, and we shoot them more than most guns will ever get shot in a lifetime (and with almost no maintenence). Eventually the slides crack, hammer springs break, and sears fail. A couple times a year we break one, and S&W always fixes it under warranty. For a plinker it's great, for heavy use it will break but is easily fixed by warranty. Win win.

And they are awesome suppressor platforms. Change the barrel nut with one of the many adapters on the market for about $20 and add the suppressor of your choice. You can suppress it for under $500 including the tax stamp.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have one and simply love it. Try to use only CCI mags high velocity rounds as recommended. The CCI stingers have also worked perfectly fine. I think accuracy is good, since i can hit soda cans at 40 feet.

This gun is designed for having fun and there are a lot of after market accessories. I sighted in my laser at 25 feet and it works well. I am truly truly surprised at how much penetration CCI stingers get from such a short barrel, here is a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1juRK_sv8

Dont know about your other guns which you may CC, however sometimes the walther is a gem to carry....

I have had one for about 2 years. It always works and is a fun little gun. Good for plinking and teaching. I am happy that I purchased it. I have 11 other .22 handguns but I shoot the P-22 about every month. A little small buy IT WORKS>
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    Early production models had magazine problems. I think this is mostly fixed. Its a fun gun. Two gripes, upside down safety, and very hard to reassemble the guide rod and spring after cleaning. Maybe they've changed something since I got mine, but that aspect irritates the heck out of me. It is always a struggle to get the spring back even with their special tool.

mrm
    I have 2 of them one is the full size barrel with the tip piece on the end of the barrel and the other is a pink 3 in one for my wife. The only problem we have is the small one is not really that accurate and is a bear to take apart and clean with the stupid little tool they give ya. The big one on the other hand has to have allen wrenches to take the tip piece off before you can take apart so I guess it is a no win situation on either. Dont get me wrong I really like the guns but if I was picking one up for accuracy it would be the Browning buckmark or the ruger mark II, they are both very accurate guns and not bad to clean either. Also dont overlook the ruger single six it is a BLAST to shoot and you have the reliability and accuracy of a revolver and you can run snake loads in it where you cant the semiauto, hope this helps a little
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

I think the only downfall I have found with the one I own is that it can be very picky about what ammo it feeds reliably. If you are shooting underpowered ammo, there is no margin of error for limp wristing the gun. My girlfriend is recovering from carpal tunnel and unless we shoot CCI Minimags, she consistently has problems with failure to feeds, even with other "High Velocity" rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by spwz99 View Post
    I think the only downfall I have found with the one I own is that it can be very picky about what ammo it feeds reliably. If you are shooting underpowered ammo, there is no margin of error for limp wristing the gun. My girlfriend is recovering from carpal tunnel and unless we shoot CCI Minimags, she consistently has problems with failure to feeds, even with other "High Velocity" rounds.
    The very same behavior as was noted in a recent Gun tests review.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a P22....and will recommend you get something else..pot metal slide and a mushy safety. The only reason I got it was because my son wanted to shoot, and it had the smallest grip. I'd much prefer a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spwz99 View Post
    Yes, mine really only likes Minimags and Stingers. Sometimes it will do ok with plain old Remington .22lr, but any other brand and its hopeless. I stick to Minimags most of the time, but even these are now ridiculously expensive as compared to plain .22 lr. Consequence of expense is it sits in a hiding place and I prefer to spend my money practicing with my .40 or with .380 when I can find some.

Junk. Don't waste your money. Buy something that will last forever like a Ruger MKIII

2000_022369Scotts0007.JPGI picked up a used one the other day with an extra barrel and adapter for suppressor also came with a new black frame which I changed out from the green one, love the way the gun feels in my hand. I order a ruger Mark III but couldn't get my head around a five hundred dollar 22 ? I've got a bad mag and or the cheap ammo could of been the problem, one stove pipe and three FTF's Going back to the range this week with better ammo to see how it shoots. I like the gun for the most part it has a great feel and a lot of fun to shoot.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links