Looking to get gf a a reliable budget pistol

This is a discussion on Looking to get gf a a reliable budget pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanna get my gf a pistol for her bday next month... I took her shooting for the first time last month and she enjoyed ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keltec PF9

25 35.71%
  • Keltec P11

10 14.29%
  • SCCY 9mm

2 2.86%
  • Bersa thunder .380

33 47.14%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get gf a a reliable budget pistol

Looking to get gf a a reliable budget pistol

I wanna get my gf a pistol for her bday next month...

I took her shooting for the first time last month and she enjoyed it. She really liked shooting my mp9. The p380 had bit too much recoil for her, she put that down right away.

So I'm thinking about a 9mm or. Larger frame 380 fore her...

The range has to be around 300, and subcompact sized. Something slim that's single stack.

So far the only ones I can think of are bersa thunder 380, pf9 and maybe the p11 and sccy 9mm... Those would meet my size, price and caliber requirements that I want for her...

I'm thinking the beers 380 might be good for her. Mild recoilnwith ok punch. Or a pf9 that's roughly same size but better round and less ammo.

Honestly someone with her experience won't need a lot of rounds. Doubt shell ever engage multiple targets or anything. It'll be strictly immediate threat pistol which should be doable with pf9's capacity...

But the bersa is more contorlalbe for someone like her...

What ya guys think?

Pistols like lcp, p3at are bit much on the recoil for her. I want something that doesn't have a too heavy trigger either.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have one of the first PF-9s to hit the market and it has been very reliable. Keep in mind that it is not a target practice weapon. Shoot targets enough to get used to it and become proficient but it is definitely not designed to be a target pistol.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Cool

You have really limited your choice of weapons. The LCP or p3at are close to your price range and proper instruction could get her to handle the recoil with some practice. You definately get what you pay for so it might be good to wait a little longer and save up a little more. My personal preference for those who are not going to "get into" their weapons to learn malfunction drills with a semi auto is a good quality revolver. Taurus makes some in the mid $350 range. Just my $.02. Good luck.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Two points...

I'd get her a revolver...I'd let her pick it out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    The PF9 and P11 are probably not going to be a whole lot more fun for her to shoot than the LCP. I've seen used PT709s and CW9s around 300 and a bit more. The Taurus is a bit more comfortable recoil-wise than the others. If she loves your M&P, you might find a used one under 400.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Have you looked at Bersa's offerings in 9mm?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Would you let somebody buy a gun for you? Let her pick out her own weapon, if she wants one. A revolver will almost certainly be better than any of the options suggested.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I voted Bersa. They are a tad over 200.00 and are a great value. Although I prefer revolvers, A snubbie is not a beginners gun. Short site radius calls for real trigger dicipline AND having the other fundementals down. They all require it but a snubbie magnifies it. Shockwave has a good idea, let her shoot a few and let her pick which one she feels more comfortable with.

JD
    Administrator
    The Bersa can actually have more felt recoil than a smaller .380 as it's a fixed barrel.

I'd probably go with the P11 or PF9. Lima suggests the Taurus 111 Series as a decent 1st gun.

The above suggestion for a Bersa 9mm is not bad one either.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I voted Bersa as it's very similar in size, weight, and recoil to my CZ-82, which I find a pleasure to shoot in extended sessions. The small pistols (LCP, P3AT, etc.) may have more recoil than she care's to deal with--period.

If she enjoys shooting a 9mm, why not look in that caliber range over the .380? The downside of a .380 is the cost (and availability in some areas) of ammo with which to practice. Nine millimeter ammo is (finally) pretty common once again. I'm sure you can find something in the price range you're looking for ... and you can always save up a little longer and go higher. If you save up and get a nicer gun, she won't be calling you a cheapskate later (at least not in reference to the gun!).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd let her pick it out.
    Generally a good idea however reserve the right to intervene. If I had not my mother would be rocking a Super red hawk Alaskan in .454 right now...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I voted for the P11 actually. Sort of a compromise, and in my experience with finding my wife (with her help), the best pistol for her.......we were more impressed with it other than the trigger. At the time (searching for her best CC), I was pretty interested in it myself. We went through plenty of pistols and tested them down the road mainly by dry firing and manipulation. Realize.....I'm dead set on Glocks....but I left the door open for my wife. I got her a G26 on her birthday once we became certain that's what she ultimately wanted. (drove 250 miles round trip to get it at a good price including breakfast!). The smile was worth eveything we'd put into the ordeal over a four month period after she got her CC permit. There comes the rub with a 'surprise/gift' pistol. Your GF needs to be able to use it, and like it. Otherwise, a new gift pistol may become a used pistol without ever being loved or used after the first full magazine full has been shot, and somebody's trigger finger is sore. In my honest opinion (and I know you want to play an important role in this decision and want it to be a surprise). Get her a gift certificate to the shop where both of you had the best experiences on pistol trials, and let her come home with her choice. Works in one of two ways. Your GF will think you trust her judgment without your input, and she will ultimately be happy or dissatisfied with her own decision. Don't take my word for it, but I've been down that road. A simple birthday card with a check, or gift certificate that says: go and get your gun may very well be the best thing you can do. Buying a pistol for self protection is one of the most important things one will ever do (the first time). The less influence you have on someone else' decisions, the more liable they are to choose what they really want, and what they like. Your most important role will be after she brings home what she wants for her personal self protection. Play a supportive role once this is done.....and supply the ammo and your knowledge. Best way to make a great gift for your SO or GF IMO. Don't thank me for the advice, just take it for what it is. I'll never intentionally lead anyone into a poor decision.

Score a trade in S&W 3913.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Score a trade in S&W 3913.
    Those actually aren't NEARLY as cheap as they used to be. Great gun's but when then rumors of S&W discontinuing their 3rd gen non poly pistols started surfacing the prices went up in a hurry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    You have really limited your choice of weapons. The LCP or p3at are close to your price range and proper instruction could get her to handle the recoil with some practice. You definately get what you pay for so it might be good to wait a little longer and save up a little more. My personal preference for those who are not going to "get into" their weapons to learn malfunction drills with a semi auto is a good quality revolver. Taurus makes some in the mid $350 range. Just my $.02. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Two points...

I'd get her a revolver...I'd let her pick it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The PF9 and P11 are probably not going to be a whole lot more fun for her to shoot than the LCP. I've seen used PT709s and CW9s around 300 and a bit more. The Taurus is a bit more comfortable recoil-wise than the others. If she loves your M&P, you might find a used one under 400.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Would you let somebody buy a gun for you? Let her pick out her own weapon, if she wants one. A revolver will almost certainly be better than any of the options suggested.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I am In^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The same camp as these guys are.

By what you say, "she would not be engaging multiple targets"
    I'd be looking at a revolver.
    Charter arms makes a pretty decent one. They are around $350 here in Mi.
    Hammer/hammerless in the undercover and off-duty.:::::;; http://charterfirearms.com/

Look for a used ruger/s&w
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links