I'm seriously considering a dedicated .22 AR rifle

This is a discussion on I'm seriously considering a dedicated .22 AR rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been wanting another good .22 after selling the Ruger 10/22 that was a jammo-matic for me. I was guessing it was the magazine but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm seriously considering a dedicated .22 AR rifle

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I've been wanting another good .22 after selling the Ruger 10/22 that was a jammo-matic for me. I was guessing it was the magazine but I didn't really bother finding out. I accidentally broke the rear sight on it and sold it for really cheap. Ever since then I've been without a good plinker and have been looking at the new .22 cal AR style rifles. The one that catches my interest the most is the M&P15-22 since it operates exactly like an AR-15. I looked at Colt's offering for a dedicated .22 AR rifle but found the bolt catch wasn't functional. I like the feel of the Colt better but right now I'm leaning more towards the M&P15-22.

Does anyone here own one and have you had any reliability issues with it?

Thanks!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I've been wanting another good .22 after selling the Ruger 10/22 that was a jammo-matic for me. I was guessing it was the magazine but I didn't really bother finding out. I accidentally broke the rear sight on it and sold it for really cheap. Ever since then I've been without a good plinker and have been looking at the new .22 cal AR style rifles. The one that catches my interest the most is the M&P15-22 since it operates exactly like an AR-15. I looked at Colt's offering for a dedicated .22 AR rifle but found the bolt catch wasn't functional. I like the feel of the Colt better but right now I'm leaning more towards the M&P15-22.

Does anyone here own one and have you had any reliability issues with it?

Thanks!
    Do you have a AR in .223? If so why not just purchase a .22 conversion bolt carrier group? The bonuses are many. Mainly it's less expensive then a dedicated .22 and most important (to me) is that you can practice with the trigger and optic of your primary AR without having to constantly re-zero your optic.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Moderator
    On the other side of the conversion is the fact that the barrel twist is less than optimal if you go that route, so accuracy is sort of mediocre.

You can ge a dedicated .22 upper, with bolt and barrel and get better accuracy. Or you can get the Colt,S&W,Sig or even an AK 22.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I used to but was forced to sell it and I won't be able to buy another one for quite some time. For now I'm just looking for something cheap and fun to shoot. I enjoy shooting center fire better but getting ammo can be expensive.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Moderator
    Thats the reason that the .22 clones are getting so popular...plus they are just fun to shoot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

All I can actually think of is....where was I when you decided to sell your 10/22?
    To me, an AR rifle and the 22lr just don't seem to go together. Just my personal thoughts. Surely the costs wouldn't be justified.

Senior Moderator
    I dont know about that. I have less than 450 in my Colt .22 M-4.
    I think its worth the fact that you can buy a couple of boxes of 550 rounds and shoot to your hearts content for less than an arm and a leg. Besides that, at the rate things are going, its probably best not to use up the good stuff, we might actually need it in the future.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I guess I'll think about it for awhile since all the rimfire rifles I've owned have been problematic. I may just get a rimfire pistol instead, not sure yet.

Senior Moderator
    You do realize that most .22's are ammo sensitive right? Most of the time its just figuring out which ammo its likes. I've bought seveal cheap .22's that were jamomatics that turned into reliable guns when I figured what they liked to eat.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You do realize that most .22's are ammo sensitive right? Most of the time its just figuring out which ammo its likes. I've bought seveal cheap .22's that were jamomatics that turned into reliable guns when I figured what they liked to eat.
    There goes the thought about buying 22lr in bulk at cheap prices. Ammo sensitive. Yes....I know what that means. There negates the investment in cheaper ammo, or searching around for something that works well in your particular firearm. 550 rounds for $15 isn't doing much good when the first 100 rounds got you 10 problems. Everything is give and take IMO.
    I think its worth the fact that you can buy a couple of boxes of 550 rounds and shoot to your hearts content for less than an arm and a leg.
    I tend to feel for those 22lr shooters at Steel Challenge matches that think they are getting off cheap on the ordeal. Some of them do fine. Mostly, we experience a delay with jams and the bulk ammo. It's not taking any time off my scores or my wife's.....it's just waiting longer to get to the line, and longer we're at the range for the match.
    Nothing wrong with general plinking. We just don't do this very often. Either downing game or a target. Fun is what you make of it. I cherish each and every round that's put down range no matter what caliber, and I consider none of them 'expendable'. The price of 22lr ammo may seem cost effective in a way, but I'm still thinking it's tripled in the last five years due mainly to demand.

My M&P 15-22 is a wonderful gun. No feeding problems with bulk ammo. Great for teaching new shooters, especially kids with the collapsible stock. Cheapest fun you'll have!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Let me add a possible suggestion that you might want to consider...a .22mag that give a little more punch that a .22 and is a blast to shoot. Save yourself some $$ and give the Henry Rifle a look.
    This is what I have...with a Leupold scope added on...
    http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-octagon.cfm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

An officer I work with just sent his M&P in to Smith. It went full auto. Controlled full auto (burst) with every pull of the trigger. He found a piece broke off in the trigger group. Smith and Wesson is doing what they do as I type.

If you could find a good condition Reimington nylon 66 or 77 you would be doing well.

Senior Moderator
    I had a Nylon 77 and popped a gazillion squirrels with it. I wish I still had it. They are pretty much collectors items now. They were fun guns for the money. A along time agoI bought one for 90 bucks, shot the heck out of it and sold it for 90 bucks about 3 years later.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links