AR red dot question

This is a discussion on AR red dot question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking at one of the mid-length ar-15s from spikes. If i put an Eotech on the rail does the front iron sight get ...

Thread: AR red dot question

AR red dot question

I was looking at one of the mid-length ar-15s from spikes. If i put an Eotech on the rail does the front iron sight get in the way at all.

I assume its fine, but want to make sure.

2. Remove Ads

With my holographic I can see the front sight, but it doesn't get in the way since I focus on the target and keep both eyes open. You can keep the stock front sight that's part of the gas block, and put a flip-up BUIS rear sight if you want to. Later you can replace the front sight (and gas block) with a flip up as well. I don't have any flip-ups yet myself, but have been thinking about getting both front and rear. They are expensive at over $100 for each...

Thats good to know. Was looking at the upper with 9" rail, but that probably won't be necessary then

Mandaliten has it right. You actually want that front sight post in your field of view through your RDS - in fact, it's generally preferred to "co-witness" the back-up iron sights ('BUIS') in the lower third of your optic's field of view. The brain is an amazing thing, and if you're focusing on that red dot you won't even be aware of the front sight. As proof of this, in a couple of my carbine training courses we ran "failed optics" drills where the powered optics were turned off or obscured, and accuracy (at maybe 15 yards) for quick shots barely degraded. (Mine actually got better, still working on that!)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

As noted it won't hurt a thing and can help you. I run an Aimpoint on my civilian Bushmaster, but have it set up so that a BUIS and the stock front sight are co-witnessed when I aim the rifle, its the best of both worlds really, if you know what you are doing and have the BUIS set up right, use the optic for close in work, and the irons for a quick transition to longer range shots.

As far as the cost of back up sight systems, Magpul has some that are actually plastic, and under $100 for a set: http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/45

I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I haven't had a Magpul product fail me yet, and will probably give them a go at some point.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    The magpul sights are GTG just do not mount the front sight directly to the gas block, they are not rated for that much heat and will not survive.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

+1 to the Magpul MBUS sights. I've got them on my Spike's mid-length and they are great. I don't have them mounted to the gas block though...I've got a low profile gas block and a 12" rail that covers it....the MBUS sight is mounted on my rail just above where the gas block is. I like this because it does not require me to shorten my sight radius by mounting to a shorter rail and behind where a typical sight post would be.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Mandaliten has it right. You actually want that front sight post in your field of view through your RDS - in fact, it's generally preferred to "co-witness" the back-up iron sights ('BUIS') in the lower third of your optic's field of view. The brain is an amazing thing, and if you're focusing on that red dot you won't even be aware of the front sight. As proof of this, in a couple of my carbine training courses we ran "failed optics" drills where the powered optics were turned off or obscured, and accuracy (at maybe 15 yards) for quick shots barely degraded. (Mine actually got better, still working on that!)
    +1 Absolutely !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links