Are suppressors really a big deal among criminals?

This is a discussion on Are suppressors really a big deal among criminals? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd like to get a can for my .22LR firearms- I can see the usefulness of plinking without needing ear protection (it's hot in FL) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are suppressors really a big deal among criminals?

I'd like to get a can for my .22LR firearms- I can see the usefulness of plinking without needing ear protection (it's hot in FL) and neighbors calling the police after hearing gunshots...

However, the thought of handing over $200 to the ATF makes my blood boil. I can stomach the $200-300 to the manufacturer- the principle of needing a tax stamp for a machined piece of metal (with no moving parts) is something I'd expect nanny states like UK or EU to enact, not the US. Yet, oddly enough, some EU countries don't have any restrictions on suppressors whatsoever.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    the principle of needing a tax stamp for a machined piece of metal (with no moving parts) is something I'd expect nanny states like UK or EU to enact, not the US.
    Ever register an old car that has no moving parts?

I know of a couple cases where a suppressor an acquaintance of mine built was used for some nefarious purposes but I won't elaborate about it as it would violate forum rules. I will say that it had nothing to do with shooting people or causing physical harm to anyone. Other than that, I think they are more of a Hollywood attraction. The cost restrictions to purchase one legally and the nefarious uses of them by criminals in the movies make them appear to be something it's not. For some people it's a "must have item" in their collection.

Personally, I don't think there should be any restrictions on them. For noise abatement, and to help people prevent hearing damage, I think they have a legitimate purpose.

Tactically speaking, I know of at least one civilian swat team who uses them on all of their weapons, on the assumption that any unsuppressed gunshots going off during a dynamic entry is a tell tale sign the gunfire is coming from the bad guys. Whether this is a valid tactic given the cost to supply all officers with suppressors vs. the practicality of application is open for debate.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links