Cleaning the lower on a Glock

This is a discussion on Cleaning the lower on a Glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are good methods for cleaning the rest of a Glock.I use Hoppes to clean the barrel and slide.Is is wise to go into detail ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the lower on a Glock

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

What are good methods for cleaning the rest of a Glock.I use Hoppes to clean the barrel and slide.Is is wise to go into detail cleaning the lower half of the gun?I read it is not smart to take apart the lower unless you are skilled in this.Is it ok to submerse the lower half in some type of solution?What do you Glock fans say?

Thanks
    Stuart

Some say not to use any degreasing solvents like gun blast or break free on polymer sections of the gun (like the frame), and that stuff will damage the plastic. I don't know if that's true, but the only sections that usually need that treatment are the slide and barrel anyway.

Generally, I soak my polymer frames in rem oil with no problems. Other popular CLPs will work fine. Just read the label on the bottle.

Don't buy the scare tactics of some CLP brands that claim rem oil and the like will eat polymers. That's a bunch of bull. I've known people that have used rem oil on their 20+ year old 1st gen glocks and their frames still look new.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

I've heard of people putting them in the dishwasher and blowing them out with compressed air.

Never tried it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Disassembly of everything in a Glock except the magazine release spring (mounted inside the receiver's magazine well) is pretty easy. I got a DVD from "the Glock store" to learn how to do it, but there are plenty of free online how2's on the web. Here's one: http://www.parts.cc/glock/disassembly/Disassembly1.htm .

Every month or so, I field-strip, clean, and lube an unfired carry Glock according to the instructions in the manual. I like to detail-strip after each shooting session of 50+ rounds for 2 reasons: (a) I prefer a clean pistol and (b) this is an opportunity to scrutinize every part for wear or fracture before the pistol goes back on carry duty.

The disassembling of a Glock is fairly easy, and with one tool.
    I did take the Glock Armorer Course, but my neighbor (a cop) gave me some lessons prior to taking the class...not really that hard.
    See the vid in post #4.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A glock is hard to hurt. After firing I will generally just do a basic field strip and clean, but a detail clean about every 6 months or year depending on usage. If you don't know how to disassemble the lower, just clean the areas you can with a brush and good solvent and then rinse it out with hot water, let it dry, and put a little lube on the rails and a drop on top of the disconnecter and put you will be fine.

Cool

I know this sounds like blasphemy but I use Gunscrubber and have in the past used carb choke cleaner to clean out the lower. After spraying I use compressed air to blow it out then lube the areas that Glock recommends with Militech after heating those areas with a hairdryer. Yeah I'm a Type A.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    What are good methods for cleaning the rest of a Glock.I use Hoppes to clean the barrel and slide.Is is wise to go into detail cleaning the lower half of the gun?I read it is not smart to take apart the lower unless you are skilled in this.Is it ok to submerse the lower half in some type of solution?What do you Glock fans say?

Thanks
    Stuart

Detail cleaning the Glock lower? For me....videos are good. I have had one of the best CDs for the Glock pistol break down and cleaning since 2002. My history with the Glock pistols goes back well before that. Cleaning the Glock lower for me has always been a dry operation...even if I take out the trigger/bar assembly. In my experience, hardly anything gets into the works. If you use any liquids in these parts..........it probably would. I dab up any brass or unburnt powder particles with dry q-tips. Main thing you'll see on the Glock frame after firing is carbon. This is easily wiped off with a clean, 100% cotton rag (I like using my old 100% cotton t-shirts actually). About the only thing I pay close attention to on the Glock frame is underneath the frame rails (4), and this involves running a pipe cleaner underneath them (dry). Any lube I use on the fully assembled Glock frame (lower) is applied sparingly and exactly in the same spots dictated in the owner's manual.
    No.....it doesn't take a genius to strip a Glock pistol to the bone. Sometimes it takes a more common sense approach in just taking care of what's visible. Other times it requires more knowledge in the design in order to know enough to leave it alone until you experience issues that might lead you to look in certain places for the possibilities. The fully assembled Glock frame (lower) is one of the most nearly maintenance free parts of the Glock pistol. If you've absolutely got to use something out of a container, I suggest a can of dust remover like you would for your keyboard or computer. Then again, if you have any dry particles.....you may very well blow something into where it would have never gotten in the first place. No good reason to detail strip/clean your Glock's lower IMO. Keep things simple, and you'll avoid problems down the road. Sometimes I wonder. I truly and honestly wonder why. I'm guessing it's all just part of humanity in a way.
    Disassembly of everything in a Glock except the magazine release spring (mounted inside the receiver's magazine well) is pretty easy.
    Like I said.....it don't take no genius. What it takes is a better sense of knowing what not to get into for no good reason. Once you have issues with your "cleaning", reassembly, or problems at the range after you've done what you thought you needed to do...........we'll still be here to help you solve those problems. Thing is......some of us might be thinking........'I told you so'. After all, it's all up to you. Advice can be taken, and more often times given. You alone are tasked with disseminating the information, and how you use it will result in only one way......your own experience. Any pistol you employ for CC demands the best of care, and intelligent decisions in doing so. Advice from anyone should make up less than 10% of the formula you use to decide yourself what's best. You see.....there are no real experts in this world.....only those with experience, and some of those have passed on from this world due to their last experience. If we only had a way to tap into that knowledge, we'd be closer to perfect. Glock on!
    By the way......I'm not actually a Glock fan. It's mainly my life.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Good answers.I have noticed there is not much residue in the lower after shooting.I was mainly curious if I should do more.I use a Q Tip on exposed areas and I clean the rails,and,as mentioned,Glocks are hard to hurt.

VIP Member
    I really like Gunzilla. I'll tear my Glock down a couple times a year but in between that, I scrub it out with Gunzilla and use a compressor to blow it out. Love that compressor!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Rules for cleaning Glock lowers in the dishwasher:
    1. Turn off the "Hot Drying" option.
    2. Use half the detergent.
    3. Do only when the wife is gone.
    4. Don't ever forget rule Number 3.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hey, this is a great thread. I usually just use dry Q-tips to wipe whatever I can reach on the lower. Not ready to start a a disassembly project since I had such a hard time putting together those Barbie Doll Houses years ago (heck, I had trouble just getting the darn dolls out of their packages), but what about some canned compressed air into the spots I can't reach?

Thanks for the info in this thread!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

Detail cleaning the Glock lower?

<snip>

The fully assembled Glock frame (lower) is one of the most nearly maintenance free parts of the Glock pistol. If you've absolutely got to use something out of a container, I suggest a can of dust remover like you would for your keyboard or computer. Then again, if you have any dry particles.....you may very well blow something into where it would have never gotten in the first place. No good reason to detail strip/clean your Glock's lower IMO. Keep things simple, and you'll avoid problems down the road.
    I agree completely. Well said.

Fitch

I detail strip and clean mine after every range session, only takes a bit of extra time. Of course, I have a big workbench and an ammo can full of chemicals.

In my armorers class, the instructor told us policy was that if the plastic was damaged by any solvent made for cleaning firearms it would be warrantied. If someone used something labeled automotive or something it would not be covered.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Dry wipe and Q-tip moist with Gunzilla after each shooting session or during bi-weekly inspection from EDC if I see much dust or lint build up.

2-3 X/year (depends on how many rounds I shoot) as follows:

1. I spray the lower full of Simple Green mixed 10:1 with water.
    2. Let soak 5-10 minutes.
    3. Spray it down again and scrub with a sonic toothbrush.
    4. Spray it down again and let soak 5-10 minutes.
    5. Get the tap water running full hot and completely rinse out the lower.
    6. Fold up a soft towel and smartly whack the lower against this pad 20-30 times.
    7. Allow to dry 30 minutes. Can you say "squeaky clean?"
    8. A light spritz of Gunzilla and work the trigger. REMEMBER TO HOLD THE TRIGGER BAR FORWARD EACH TIME TO RELEASE THE TRIGGER! DON'T FORCE PULL THE TRIGGER WITH THE UPPER OFF!
    9. One more light spritz of Gunzilla and install upper.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links