Which .22LR semi-auto pistol is most reliable?

This is a discussion on Which .22LR semi-auto pistol is most reliable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Ruger semi's seem well made, and I've had a few of them. I have, however, had much more fun with my Ruger revolver, a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which .22LR semi-auto pistol is most reliable?

The Ruger semi's seem well made, and I've had a few of them. I have, however, had much more fun with my Ruger revolver, a Single-Six (two cylinders)...two guns in one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

So far just as I thought.. the Rugers, Mk I, II, III, 22/45, the Buckmarks all tend to be the favorites. I like the Ruger Single-Six also, but in this case I'm more interested in semi-autos.

Here is mine. I'm kinda wishing I had one of the 22/45's with the short 4" barrel on it though. In fact two of them. :)
    But I like it. I did have a problem yesterday with some Winchester Super Speed ammo in it. One or two jams and several bad primers.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'll vote for the Ruger .22 auto. I have two Mk IIs, one a 22/45, both the 5-1/2" bull barrel models. I've lost count of all the rounds I've put through them, but it has to be well over 5,000 rounds between the two of 'em. Both are less ammo-sensitive than any of my 10/22s. I give them top marks for reliabiltiy.
    I agree with gasmitty. My mkII eats almost anything I feed it.

Administrator
    I'd buy a Ruger or Buckmark. I've been hunting, modifying, and shooting local competition with them for years. I don't think you will do better than what they can do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

NOT on the list (poor rating) is the Bersa Firestorm 22. Bought one for plinking, very, very ammo sensitive, pretty close to one stovepipe per magazine. Winchester is the closest ammo that does well. 40 grain works the best.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Oh I'm pretty aware that nothing is going to be 100% reliable with all bulk pack ammo. Just what is pretty good at digesting most. I have a Ruger MkIII and an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for the Glock 26. The Ruger is pretty good with most. The AA kit, very very picky. We just got the AA kit and havn't found any ammo it likes yet. Just took it out today. Going to take it back out tomorrow and try a couple more different kinds.
    So far it does not like Federal 555 bulk. It does not like Winchester HV Super Speed 1300 fps stuff either. We're going to try Federal Target pack and Remington Golden (50 round box) tomorrow. (The Remington Golden is highly recommended by Advantage Arms for use).

I would just rather have something not so picky. Maybe I'll get a 2nd Ruger (22/45) or a Buckmark.
    I use CCI Mini-mags in my G30 AA kit with pretty good success. 1-2 failures per 100 rounds, usually toward the end when gunk is building up. Would probably be better if I cleaned it a bit at around fifty rds. Since it's only for range practice, I don't get to concerned with that rate. I figure that's pretty acceptable for a "conversion" kit for .22s.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We took the AA kit for the G26 and the Ruger MkIII up to the range today. I lubed it up, and we tried Federal 550 bulk pack ammo. It had a lot of FTE on the AA kit, but the Ruger gobbled it up. We took some Federal Target ammo. 40gr solid nose, 1200 fps. The AA kit did a little better with that than it did with the 550 pack stuff. I'd say out of a 10 round magazine, it would have atleast one FTE and try to feed the next round. Sometimes more than once in a magazine. The Ruger gobbled that stuff up. We took 100 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet HV 40gr coated ammo. Out of the 100 rounds we had very few issues, maybe 2 or 3. We didn't shoot any of this through the Ruger since I was certain it would gobble it up and this seemed to be the only ammo we had that would work with the AA.

We had a blast shooting the AA kit and the Ruger Mk III. We also put 100 rounds of 9mm through the G19 and G26.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member
    If you can find an older one in good/used condition, anything from High Standard (not Hi-Point; dont mix those up) is a winner.

You want one from the 70s or 80's. From what I hear, the company that now owns the High Standard name isn't as high quality as the older ones.

I have an old '78 Sharpshooter-M and it is probably the most accurate rimfire handgun I've ever fired. Both my co-worker and I shoot much better with it than with his fancy-schmancy bull-barrel, stainless MkIII Competition.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I have a Sig Mosquito and I had problems with both Remington and Winchester bulk ammo. I use CCI minimags now and don't have any issues. They are a little more expensive, but at about $8/100, it's still not too bad.
    This mirriors my experience as well, also had issues with Federal bulk. CCI Minimags and Stingers are flawless. I only pay 6.50 to 7.00 for 100 Minimags.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Browning or High Standard, and as stated above by Xader, NOT Hi Point!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    Browning or High Standard, and as stated above by Xader, NOT Hi Point!
    Thanks guys. Yeah I know the difference between High Standard and Hi-Point.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I had a Firestorm, but traded it on a deal to get a CZ that I lusted after. The Firestorm was a good shooter and functioned reliably with even cheapo ammo, as long as the bullet weight was 40gr. Light bullets did not cycloe reliably.

I've had some mis-fire problems with both revolvers and semi-autos when using the cheapest of the cheap bulk .22 ammo. I've also had some failure to feed problems with pistols when using bulk ammo with light bullets. With anything but the cheapest, I have had very few mis-fires and with 40gr bullets I have had very reliable feeding in all pistols.

If you require absolute reliability in your .22, it is available at a price. I choose to use the cheap crap because the hiccups are fairly rare and I can afford to shoot a whole lot. For the one .22 pistol that I carry on rare occasins, I have a tried and true load that I know works in that particular gun. It is not primium ammo, but my revolver doesn't know any better.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My firestorm has never hiccupped. It gets fed a lot but only by Federal, CCI, and Remington. Still, the Ruger or Browning are the best.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

I can only comment on the Ruger MarkII. Mine has performed near flawlessly for 30 years.

My Ruger MK II GTM has had an unbelievable amount of bulk .22 through it. For 5 years of college I put 1500 to 2000 rounds a month through it, all bulk Remington or Federal. I can't remember any mechanical or reliability problems, except for when I let it get dirty and gummed up.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links