Another unloaded gun discharges into a leg (news report, very, um, detailed)

This is a discussion on Another unloaded gun discharges into a leg (news report, very, um, detailed) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter...t-1105.article He ejected the magazine from the gun, ejected the round from the chamber, and reinserted the ejected round back into the magazine, he told ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another unloaded gun discharges into a leg (news report, very, um, detailed)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter...t-1105.article

He ejected the magazine from the gun, ejected the round from the chamber, and reinserted the ejected round back into the magazine, he told police. He then attempted to put the magazine back in the gun but it didn't fit right. Not being familiar with the Smith & Wesson Springfield .40-caliber handgun, although he said it was his personal gun that he also uses for work, "he thought if he pulled the trigger the magazine would seat properly," Glickauf told police.
    Maybe he got that sequence out of order. You think?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

"he thought if he pulled the trigger the magazine would seat properly," Glickauf told police.
    People never cease to amaze me......maybe this guy should think of a new profession
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I smell something and it ain't fish.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member
    Ok, order of operations aside... why was he pointing it at his leg while he pulled the trigger? It's a very simple thing to remember... DON'T POINT IT AT YOURSELF OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU DON'T WANT TO SHOOT!!!

He ejected the magazine from the gun, ejected the round from the chamber, and reinserted the ejected round back into the magazine, he told police. He then attempted to put the magazine back in the gun but it didn't fit right. Not being familiar with the Smith & Wesson Springfield .40-caliber handgun, although he said it was his personal gun that he also uses for work, "he thought if he pulled the trigger the magazine would seat properly," Glickauf told police.

Instead, the gun fired and the bullet went into his upper left thigh.
    Huh?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    People never cease to amaze me......maybe this guy should think of a new profession
    A friend of mine, who was my CCW teacher, told me that he does part time contract work for the local law enforcement agencies just teaching new cadets how to operate a sidearm. I asked him for clarification. He said, "yes, there are some new officers out there who know nothing about a gun. I've even had one guy who didn't know where the bullet comes out."

uh.... wow.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    "he thought if he pulled the trigger the magazine would seat properly," Glickauf told police.
    Stupid as it seems, some firearms require the pulling of the trigger in order to achieve certain things, ie for field stripping a Kahr PM9 or P380. It's the one "feature" that has always confounded me about those pistols, given the simple risks involved of a potential ND. Though, I have yet to hear of a pistol in which the magazine would seat because the trigger was pulled.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    whats a Smith and Wesson Springfield?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Stupid as it seems, some firearms require the pulling of the trigger in order to achieve certain things, ie for field stripping a Kahr PM9 or P380. It's the one "feature" that has always confounded me about those pistols, given the simple risks involved of a potential ND. Though, I have yet to hear of a pistol in which the magazine would seat because the trigger was pulled.
    Same thing with the break down of a Glock.

People seem to forget that there's no such thing as an unloaded firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    dry firing a gun that is loaded will result in an nd also...does that confound you?...a gun is either loaded or not...part of handling a gun is determining that before pulling the trigger...its not rocket science and shouldnt be an issue at all...a gun that requires the trigger pulled before an operation is no more dangerous than one that doesnt...the operator is another story altogether...

VIP Member
    "...shattered his femur into eight pieces "

Ugh. That's a tough lesson. I'm glad he lived to hopefully learn from it (and finds another profession).

he thought if he pulled the trigger the magazine would seat properly,"
    Darwin candidate..or a bad liar
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This Police Officer obviously did something wrong while unloading his gun. If you eject the magazine first and then rack up the slide to eject the bullet in the chamber, you can then hit the slide release and pull the trigger and there will be no discharge. It is impossible for a "magic" bullet to suddenly appear inside the chamber if you do this process correctly. I load and unload my concealed carry firearms using this method and I have NEVER had an accidental discharge.

I think what happened is that the Police Officer first racked up the slide to release the bullet in the chamber which obviously loaded another round into the chamber, he then ejected the magazine and pressed the slide release. At that moment, he must have thought that he did not have a bullet in the chamber so he pressed the trigger without pointing the gun in a safe direction and WHOOPSIE he shot his leg. Perhaps he should be considering another profession if he can't even unload a gun or follow the four basic rules of firearms handling. What a tool!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    whats a Smith and Wesson Springfield?
    Exactly my thought.

I have never heard of a firearm that would not seat the magazine based on whether or not the trigger was pulled. It's just plain obvious that the guy is a blooming idiot and should "not" be around a firearm.

What he did was eject the chambered round while the magazine was "still in the gun" therefore chambering another round. Then he removed the magazine, re-inserted the round he ejected, and tried to put the magazine in backwards. It would not go, he pulled the trigger thinking it would help to seat the magazine. He's a total idiot. Plain and simple.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links