This is why you teach your kids to shoot

This is a discussion on This is why you teach your kids to shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Niece is a 25 year old nurse, daughter of a full blooded Cherokee, married to a Army Major, has a brother who was a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: This is why you teach your kids to shoot

Ex Member

My Niece is a 25 year old nurse, daughter of a full blooded Cherokee, married to a Army Major, has a brother who was a Army NCO who was killed in Afghanistan. She learned to shoot at age 8 and has been shooting weekly ever since.

Her, and her husband live in El Paso where he is stationed. There is a M-A-J-O-R problem with our swinging door border. Her husband was at work, about 3:00 a.m. with both cars in the driveway, and alarm warning stickers on all the doors.

She is asleep, with her 9 month old son in the other room. She hears a CRASH and her alarm goes off. She grabs 'her' S&W 686 runs to the baby's room and locks the door so IF the intruder gets in they can't get to her child.

Second crash sound and she realizes someone is trying to kick in the front door. What happens in El Paso is that the illegals come across the border and raid a neighborhood. They kick doors in, steal what they can, kill the men, and children, and either rape the women, or take them back across the border and sell them to drug lords. Not wanting to be part of Obama's open door policy she puts two rounds through the top of the door. You can't legally shoot someone on your porch but you can shoot your own door.

She then calls 911 and tells the operator what is going on. Operator tells her there are THREE other home invasions going on, on her street and " keep the gun, if they get in shoot them" ( GOT to love Texas.)

Police arrive, find footprints on her front door, take report and leave.

Moral? PLEASE teach your kids to shoot. Cars in the driveway, and alarms, WONT discourage BG's, but a .357 evidently will get them religion.

Gosh dang thats horrible.Sounds like the whole country of Mexico invaded.4 invasions at 1 time.Yes,your point is solid.And mexico trys to play innocent by questioning why we have Predators on the border.I say shoot them on sight,whether they are on your porch or in your house

My kids were shooting an AR and 1911 by age ten.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    Holly smoke! That was very bad!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nice shooting on her part, but too bad they didn't find bodies instead of footprints on the door. Now these dirtbags will live to harm others.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Really glad your niece took care of business and got away unharmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    ...Second crash sound and she realizes someone is trying to kick in the front door. ... You can't legally shoot someone on your porch but you can shoot your own door.
    Yup, you sure can:
    (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor [he] reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor [himself] against the other’s use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor’s belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

Moral? PLEASE teach your kids to shoot. Cars in the driveway, and alarms, WONT discourage BG's, but a .357 evidently will get them religion.
    Yeah, but so much more effective if 2 COM and 1 ta da Head. + Cops are mostly historians.

VIP Member
    She obviously wanted to scare them off, "she puts two rounds through the top of the door", not kill them. Too bad.

Very glad she and the little one are okay though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Smart move, Saves some Leagal mumbo jumbo, Although in Fl my attached porch is part of deweling ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Smart move, Saves some Leagal mumbo jumbo, Although in Fl my attached porch is part of deweling ; )
    H/D

Exactly. In ANY self defense situation you are better off if you can defuse it with warning shots instead of deadly force. Even if you are 100% justified you still get tied up in some legal issues, especially if it is one of Obama's illegals, and risk the chance of the gang coming back for revenge. She is safe, and the baby's safe, but sadly our open borders will allow this happen again to someone.

We spend hundreds of millions a year guarding England, France, Spain, Germany, and Japan from WHAT but we can't guard the southern border.
    RR9501 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Sounds like the police need some civilian volunteers to help them clean up the garbage. Maybe they will at least replace your ammo.
    RR9501 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    My Niece is a 25 year old nurse, daughter of a full blooded Cherokee, married to a Army Major, has a brother who was a Army NCO who was killed in Afghanistan. She learned to shoot at age 8 and has been shooting weekly ever since.

Her, and her husband live in El Paso where he is stationed. There is a M-A-J-O-R problem with our swinging door border. Her husband was at work, about 3:00 a.m. with both cars in the driveway, and alarm warning stickers on all the doors.

She is asleep, with her 9 month old son in the other room. She hears a CRASH and her alarm goes off. She grabs 'her' S&W 686 runs to the baby's room and locks the door so IF the intruder gets in they can't get to her child.

Second crash sound and she realizes someone is trying to kick in the front door. What happens in El Paso is that the illegals come across the border and raid a neighborhood. They kick doors in, steal what they can, kill the men, and children, and either rape the women, or take them back across the border and sell them to drug lords. Not wanting to be part of Obama's open door policy she puts two rounds through the top of the door. You can't legally shoot someone on your porch but you can shoot your own door.

She then calls 911 and tells the operator what is going on. Operator tells her there are THREE other home invasions going on, on her street and " keep the gun, if they get in shoot them" ( GOT to love Texas.)

How is it that you can't shoot someone trying to KICK the door in, at 3am.
    It sure ain't the Girl Scouts or the Jehovahs witness stopping by.
    I think my door'd look like swiss cheese by the time I'm done with it.
    Doubt a jury of my peers would convict
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    How is it that you can't shoot someone trying to KICK the door in, at 3am.
    It sure ain't the Girl Scouts or the Jehovahs witness stopping by.
    I think my door'd look like swiss cheese by the time I'm done with it.
    Doubt a jury of my peers would convict

Shooting someone OUTSIDE your house will, in most states, get you in a BIG load of trouble. They will state " I thought this was my brothers house" or "I ran out of gas and wanted to use the phone." There are tons of excuses that will get you nailed in civil court. You read about this all the time.

All states have different views. Some you CAN shoot in a situation like that, others require you to to wait till they enter, and somewhere, up East I think, requires you to retreat to the farthest point of the house before shooting. Being an Army wife they have lived in a LOT of different places so I am sure she didn't know the Texas law.

I would have probably have reacted the same, and fired warning shots, then as the door came down so would the hammer.

Bovine feces! The only two states that I spend most of my time in are Louisiana and Texas. I have been told REPEATEDLY in both states, even asked professionals and researchers, about the "porch and patio" issue.

In Louisiana, the response I got most was: "it is part of your domicile."

In Texas, the response I got most was: "shoot first; ask questions later."

I doubt an officer in that situation would arrest, and I doubt even more so that a jury would convict.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Bovine feces! The only two states that I spend most of my time in are Louisiana and Texas. I have been told REPEATEDLY in both states, even asked professionals and researchers, about the "porch and patio" issue.

In Louisiana, the response I got most was: "it is part of your domicile."

In Texas, the response I got most was: "shoot first; ask questions later."

I doubt an officer in that situation would arrest, and I doubt even more so that a jury would convict.

I don't think it is so much a criminal shooting to worry about, young Nurse with infant, gets her home invaded, it's the civil court that can nail you. Remember the rules are different in a civil court . Remember O.J. walked in criminal court. but was guilty in civil court.

It wasn't 'buck fever' that kept her from putting two through the door at chest height, she has been hunting since age 10, and she was protecting a infant, but had enough composure to defuse it without killing him.

The amazing thing is it was a good neighborhood, hubby is a Major, and she is a nurse, there were 2 cars in the drive, and they had alarm stickers. I guess that's the new home invasion technique where they hit a neighborhood in a group. Only thing they lacked was a dog/early warning system.

We have civil immunity in Texas. If the shoot is justified under chapter nine of the penal code they can't touch her in civil court.
    Texas Statutes - Section 83.001: CIVIL IMMUNITY
    A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
    However if her "warning shots" struck anyone other than the people trying to break into her house she would be liable for their death/injuries and any property damage.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links