Shooting with two guns

Shooting with two guns

This is a discussion on Shooting with two guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got bored this evening and decided to watch Gross Pointe Blank again. I know it is Hollywood, but a lot of the shoot out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with two guns

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Shooting with two guns

I got bored this evening and decided to watch Gross Pointe Blank again. I know it is Hollywood, but a lot of the shoot out scenes were with some people shooting with a handgun in each hand. Would there ever be a situation where, if you had two handguns, you would want to shoot them both at the same time? I personally would not do that as I would rather have control of just one gun and be more deliberate about what I was shooting at.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Shooting in SD/HD with two guns would be a little bit "over the top" IMHO.
    I cannot think of a reason to pull two weapons at the same time...good luck in a 'potentially' good shoot when the DA starts to describe you as a modern day Roy Rogers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Looks cool in the movies, but other than that....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I believe that worked for Wild Bill Hickok, at least in folklore legend.

I know of maybe 3 people who carry a gun for each hand.And i think its ridiculous.I would much rather have control with one hand for opening doors,disarming,hitting,reloading.

Bruce Willis may have gotten away with it, but it's logically not a wise move. You can only concentrate on aiming (even point aiming) one gun at time during a high stress situation. It would most likely result in waste of valuable ammo. I'm sticking to one gun at a time.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    The fastest reload in the world is a second gun. Even in the days of western gun battles the second gun was not drawn and fired at the same time it was used instead of trying to reload the first one in the middle of a gun battle.
    Should you choose to use two guns and empty both you would have to ditch one to reload the other. Which would be pretty slow in the heat of the moment.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I've actually tried shooting two pistols at once at the range a few times. Thing is, I can't seem to shoot them simultaneously and be accurate. I have to alternate weak side/strong side shot to shot. Being right hand/right eye dominant, shooting weak hand isn't much of a problem for me if I sight with my dominant eye. Shooting both, I have to sight my weak hand pistol with my non-dominant eye so as things don't interfere. May just be a mental block to overcome, but it's also a far cry from what's natural. I haven't really put a lot of time and effort into doing this. The times I've tried it were just to find out for myself. Two handgun shooting scenario might have benefits........the weak hand shots would be more of a cover fire or nuisance if one was receiving incoming fire. Personally (in real life), I think doing this would be more of a risk for stray shots fired. The movies are the movies. Fun to watch. There are plenty of two handed, two pistol shooters who are very effective however.

I also have tried it a few times just to see. I had the best luck using Jerry Miculek's technique. Both guns firing at the same target, both tilted in about 40-45* about an inch a part, using the gap between the two as a sighting plain. I agree with Ramrod that alternate firing provided the best results. While when it would be useful is questionable, it provides a method of putting a lot of rounds out very fast.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Shooting in SD/HD with two guns would be a little bit "over the top" IMHO.
    I cannot think of a reason to pull two weapons at the same time...good luck in a 'potentially' good shoot when the DA starts to describe you as a modern day Roy Rogers.
    And it should be even worse if you also named your vehicle “Trigger”

Shooting with a handgun in each hand is a lot fun when playing around, but I would not want to do it in a SD situation. The reason is that I want to be able to hit the target.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

While I carry a gun for each hand, I'll shoot them one at a time. I can't envision a scenario where I would shoot both guns at the same time, but I'm not very imaginative.

Biker

One potential problem is that many people who carry two, carry two different guns.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    My logical self says no! However, if I were being attacked from all sides than I could see myself wanting to reach in the barrel and pull those bullets out faster than I could shoot. Man, I sure do miss my youthful reflexes as a LEO.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I don't ever really see the need to be firing two guns at once

For anything other than a movie camera, no I can't see shooting two guns at once. However I would not be adverse to carrying an identical firearm for a "New York Reload" or to be worn on my left side in case something happens to my right arm and I cannot draw with it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links