Shotgun recommendations

This is a discussion on Shotgun recommendations within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just joined a local gun club for the pistol range. Their main activity is skeet and trap shooting. In order to make the most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun recommendations

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

Shotgun recommendations

I just joined a local gun club for the pistol range. Their main activity is skeet and trap shooting. In order to make the most of my memebership, I want to try out the skeet and trap. I would like to buy a reasonably priced shotgun (less than $500) that would be good for this and maybe had a replaceable choke so that I could take it turkey hunting if the chance comes up. I don't want to buy something that is so cheap that I ruin the skeet/trap experience, but I don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most skeet and trap is done with autos or over-unders. A pump would work for trap, but is a bit slow for the faster action skeet (unless you're really good).

I haven't priced shotguns in ages but most makes come with interchangeable chokes or are available. Take a look at the Mossberg line. I'm sure they have something economically suitable for clays and feathers in their models.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Check out the Mossberg Silver Reserve line of Over Unders, they aren't too bad, and around your price range.

Of course you could just get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a 26" barrel, and it should work just fine for you, and have the ability to change roles by just changing a barrel.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Check here first. Lots of good stuff at great prices.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I have an old remington Mohawk 48. LIke this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=200615262

I bought it form a LGS. It had been in an older gentlemans collection, and was barely shot. It only takes 2 3/4 shells. I use it as a general purpose field gun. It has a full choke, and absoultely smokes some clays. It has been an excellent gun, so far with no problems whatsoever. It is well within your price range, and maybe worth a shot.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have used my trusty Remington 870 on skeet and trap for 20 years. Flawless. I used the same shotgun on doves, squirrels, turkey... I'm sure a lot more I can't think of right now. Its a very good shotgun with screw-in choke system. And easily meets your price range.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Heck, you could find a used Benelli M1 for 5 bills. (I did).
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Administrator
    There are several good guns in that price range. I'd start with an 870 if you want new. If you don't mind the used rack, you can find a 1100 or 870 wingmaster pretty easy in that range. There are several others, but that is where I'd start as an avid upland and sporting clays guy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I love my 870. I've used other 870s and also had great experiences. I have yet to take mine to the trap/skeet range, but I've shot hand thrown clays, dove, duck, and turkey with it, and I can pump in a new round easily before I get lined up on my second shot. I wanted a mossberg 500 originally because I like the thumb safety better than a trigger finger safety, but I liked the feel/fit/finish of the 870 more.

I don't have much experience with autos, but the experiences I have had weren't so pleasant. My father in law has a beretta auto and a benelli auto. They may have been dirty, but they seemed so prone to jamming, and weren't as quick and easy to reload. I know a lot of shotgunners use them very successfully, but it's just not my cup o tea since I feel just as fast with a pump.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I love my 870. I've used other 870s and also had great experiences. I have yet to take mine to the trap/skeet range, but I've shot hand thrown clays, dove, duck, and turkey with it, and I can pump in a new round easily before I get lined up on my second shot. I wanted a mossberg 500 originally because I like the thumb safety better than a trigger finger safety, but I liked the feel/fit/finish of the 870 more.

I don't have much experience with autos, but the experiences I have had weren't so pleasant. My father in law has a beretta auto and a benelli auto. They may have been dirty, but they seemed so prone to jamming, and weren't as quick and easy to reload. I know a lot of shotgunners use them very successfully, but it's just not my cup o tea since I feel just as fast with a pump.
    I dunno, I pretty much exclusively shoot auto's now. I don't have any issues. I can't recommend them for new shooters though due to the extra maintenance required.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with a Remington 870; I shoot dove, quail, clay, skeet, turkey, and squirrel with it. If you wanted an auto the 1100 is a nice gun and within your price for a nice used one.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dunno, I pretty much exclusively shoot auto's now. I don't have any issues. I can't recommend them for new shooters though due to the extra maintenance required.
    The lack of maintenance is probably what ruined my experience. FIL doesn't know how to clean or field strip ANY of his guns. He just shoot some rem oil on exposed parts of the action. A few weekends ago he asked me if I could clean about 10 of them...not a one of them had been cleaned since he bought them...yuck! His M&P40 pistol squeaked and grated when I pulled the slide back!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I might catch some flak for this, but I really think as long as you have a shotgun, it is hard to screw up skeet or trap. Either one is a lot of fun, and unless you plan on competing, any of them will really do. I think in the sporting clays category, a lot more depends on the shooter than the shotgun. I've shot clays, both hand and machine thrown, with every shotgun I own, including my 930 SPX, and was able to break a good number of clays with all of them.

I really think a 870 or 500 is the way to go for you, get a 26" barrel, and then if you want a shorter barrel, like 18.5" or 20" for HD. It's really about the most versatile shotgun set up, it may not do everything magnificently, but for an average (read non-competition) shooter, it should do everything you ask of it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I might catch some flak for this, but I really think as long as you have a shotgun, it is hard to screw up skeet or trap. Either one is a lot of fun, and unless you plan on competing, any of them will really do. I think in the sporting clays category, a lot more depends on the shooter than the shotgun. I've shot clays, both hand and machine thrown, with every shotgun I own, including my 930 SPX, and was able to break a good number of clays with all of them.

I really think a 870 or 500 is the way to go for you, get a 26" barrel, and then if you want a shorter barrel, like 18.5" or 20" for HD. It's really about the most versatile shotgun set up, it may not do everything magnificently, but for an average (read non-competition) shooter, it should do everything you ask of it.
    I agree with you. I've shot skeet and trap with my 870 for years and have always had a blast.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Regardless of gun, skeet shooting is a lot of fun. The clays are fast moving, don't shoot back, but don't cook up well either. I do as well with my Win 1200 as I do with my Rem 1100. (But you won't find any trophies on the mantle!)
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links