Rechambering +1 round

This is a discussion on Rechambering +1 round within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I should note that I've never seen any setback in any other Golden Sabres. I'm just pointing out that it can happen any time and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rechambering +1 round

Distinguished Member
    I should note that I've never seen any setback in any other Golden Sabres.

I'm just pointing out that it can happen any time and without warning. I was lucky to feel the slight hiccup at it slowed on the feed ramp.

2. Remove Ads

That's pretty serious, the Golden Saber.

My Mk40's slide slams home REALLY hard, where as my two .45's don't. The Mk40, I've noitced doesn't seem to setback the rounds. I use PDX1 in .40, the Ranger T's little brother. But it will start to SLIGHTLY peel back the copper on the tip. Hard to explain so I'm going to try to take a picture.

Here is a good, either not chambered at all or very little

And the one that's taken some abuse. Not noticable set-back though. If you look closely on the tips, it almost looks like the bullet is starting to expand.

The Ranger T's I have in .45 do not do this. But again, the recoil springs on both my .45's don't have near the same tension of my Mk40.

Setback is real but like most things in life doesn't happen to everybody even with the same make/model of gun and same brand of ammo. I try not to chamber often and have taken to using one gun for night house protection and the other for carry. Even with that I always look at the cartridge I'm about to chamber for flaws. I keep promising myself I will use place new ones on each side of a re-chamber one with a straight edge over them. With light behind, I think I'd be able to see if it was slipping.

BTW, I understand the real danger in setback is the loss of headspace (area between top of powder and bottom of bullet) which can make the round go kaboom and is known to be hard on guns and hands.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Never had any problems with set back with any of my carry ammo
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

So, is it only visable set-back that's an issue, or do thousands of an inch REALLY matter? I've tried straight edges before and can't tell a difference for the most part. But my straight edge isn't a real, machined straight edge. It's whatever I can find that's ridge and straight, like a ruler or metal rod or something.

Because my carry ammo has no visual set-back, not sure if I should be concerned. I'd shoot it, but it's hard to get and expensive.

A digital vernier caliper can be purchased pretty cheap at many loactions
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I always keep this picture handy.

This round appeared perfect before chambering, no visible setback. It had been chambered less than five times.

it can happen suddenly, and with even good quality ammo. Keep an eye on your rounds.
    Wow. I guess I stand corrected. What caliber is that? Looks like .40 but I don't want to assume. I'm surprised with a full charge it was able to set back that far without getting stopped by the powder. Did you ever pull the bullet and investigate?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I would think rounds that set-back that much are defective.

I have never heard of a REVOLVER ruining ammo.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I ran a setback test once with different reloads plus PDX1s and Gold Dots in my G30. After 10 slingshot chamberings, the reloads set back the worst, which I expected due to using stretched brass. The Gold Dots came next, surprizingly almost as bad as the reloads. The PDX1s barely budged, a couple thousandths.

As for preventing this with my SD loads, I no longer slam the slide home for simple loading. I've found that easing the slide forward and giving it a rap on the rear always puts it in battery (proven on the range). It does the same with my S&W 4566. Since then, any unloaded round I've measured has remained the same as factory COL. Maybe other makes "require" a round to be slammed into the chamber; mine do not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A digital vernier caliper can be purchased pretty cheap at many loactions
    Harbor Freight has a decent .001 one for about $9.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

JD
    Administrator
    I wonder if anyone's done a test with cartridges showing signs of setback to see how much the pressure increased. I would love to see a comparison of standard velocity ammunition showing set back compared to a freshly chambered +P Cartridge. A part of me thinks that traditional levels of setback (not like the GS shown above) in standard velocity chamberings would not be that big an issue as a +P load is probably has more pressure. However the other part of my wonders how true that would be as with set back we're changing the amount of empty space in the casing by pushing a solid in further while with +P we're adding more powder...

RGC
    I shoot the carry mag of self defense rounds every couple of weeks so the re cambered rounds get used up.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I wonder if anyone's done a test with cartridges showing signs of setback to see how much the velocity increased. I would love to see a comparison of standard velocity ammunition showing set back compared to a freshly chambered +P Cartridge. A part of me thinks that traditional levels of setback (not like the GS shown above) in standard velocity chamberings would not be that big an issue as a +P load is probably has more pressure. However the other part of my wonders how true that would be as with set back we're changing the amount of empty space in the casing by pushing a solid in further while with +P we're adding more powder...
    I was wondering this exact same thing actually. Because my carry ammo is +P. If it wasn't +P, I'd honestly still be concerned, but just less concerned.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Wow. I guess I stand corrected. What caliber is that? Looks like .40 but I don't want to assume. I'm surprised with a full charge it was able to set back that far without getting stopped by the powder. Did you ever pull the bullet and investigate?
    Some "full" charges of powder types are actually low volume, so there may or may not be enough powder to stop the bullet from setting back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links