Rechambering +1 round

Rechambering +1 round

This is a discussion on Rechambering +1 round within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, this isn't another carry with a chambered round thread :p I keep my G30 holstered and loaded with a full mag +1. I carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rechambering +1 round

Rechambering +1 round

No, this isn't another carry with a chambered round thread :p

I keep my G30 holstered and loaded with a full mag +1. I carry it during the weekend. The Mk40 has daily weekday use due to it's size and ease of slipping into a pocket. So when I take out my G30 to practice dry firing or drawing from concealment, I obviously drop the mag and dump the round from the chamber. Then I put one snap cap in another unloaded mag and go from there. I just rack the slide back half way to recock it.

I've had issues with my DPX rounds becoming "loose" in the casings before from repeated chambering when reloaded my G30 when I'm done. I've since discarded them and have learned a lesson. I am now carrying Ranger-T 230gr +P. When I go to reload my Glock and store it until carry duty for the weekend, I ride the slide VERY VERY slowly and easy to try and prevent any set-back and not let the slide slam shut. I also rotate the chambered round from time to time and check it side by side with fresh ammo. So far it seems alright. I know one or two times isn't going to cause any damage to the round.

What do other people do? I mean, most of us dry fire or practicing drawing from time to time. So what's the rechambering method when reloading without causing harm to the round? At the range I just hit the release and go, but with good SD ammo that's expensive (and Ranger-T is hard to buy with the LE only posted on it), I fear damaging it after repeated chambering.

I feel like I'm rambling... Which reminds me, I need to buy my DPX rounds :)

No rechambering, etc, dry fire and draw practice, etc is with the practice duplicate of my carry gun or one of two airsoft copies.
    Last edited by Guantes; November 15th, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: afterthought
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I tend to ramble a lot here. This forum always gets me thinking in one way or another, and it's also a good outlet for what I feel pertaining to CC specifically.
    On the re-chambering ordeal. Here's what I do. I'll give a top round anywhere from 4-5 chamberings and rotate it to the bottom of the magazine. I tend to keep informal records of these events, but I don't ever check my rounds with calipers or anything. Once I've gone through a full revlution of the rounds in the magazine (which takes a while depending on how many re-chamberings take place, and the capacity of the given magazine. Once I've come to the conclusion that time is up with the magazine full, they all get unloaded and put into my 'shoot" box. My PD ammo and practice gets done this way. While bullet set back and the Glocks may seem to make more headlines, it's just pretty much a common sense ordeal for any pistol actually. Repeated chamberings of the same round. IMO........it's not going to matter one bit whether you ease the slide forward, or yank it fully to the rear and let her fly. Matter of fact, I'm thinking "easing" the slide forward could have some implications of it's own over the sling shot drive home. I personally don't think you can properly chamber a round without some form of 'damage' or set-back taking place. This will occur the very first time the round is chambered. With good. quality factory ammunition to specs, I really think that set-back might be an issue time after time with re-chambering, but from a mechanical point of view I can't honestly see the reasons why if your pistol is within tolerance or specs. The breech face never moves, the chamber stays the same....etc. The bullet will stop at the chamber dimensions, and the slide stops in the same place each and every time. I'm not saying that a chambered round won't be set back in the casing. I'm just saying this might occur the very first time the round is chambered, and subsequent chamberings of the same round should have little or no effect. That's just me, and what I think.
    Your experiences are more important than anyone else. You have common sense obviously. Above all, I want each and everyone here to be as safe as possible with their chosen firearms and ammo. We all decide for ourselves what actions we should take with what we know or have experienced with a cognitive mind. The internet will never take the place of real life nor experience. It's just simply a road to more knowledge and influence without having to step into the experience. We can get on or off the train at any time. Be safe.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm shooting a Sig P229 in .40 S&W.

I used to carry Winchester Ranger T, now I carry Speer Gold Dots.

I've heard all these setback things, especially how it can be dangerous in a .40. I have a nice set of digital calipers I use for reloading. First, I measured the COAL of a round. Then I rechambered the same round with the good ol slingshot method about 10 times and measured again. There was no setback whatsoever. I decided then it wasn't an issue, and have rechambered the same top 2 rounds quite often, and measured a while ago just out of curiosity. Still no setback.

I think the factory crimp is probably sufficient that you won't see setback. Even just the case tension alone should keep it from happening except in maybe pistols with a stronger than factory recoil spring. I crimp my reloads just ever so slightly, but haven't really tested them for setback.

My conclusion, if you shoot factory ammo, don't worry about it. Don't ease the slide forward...it may not go all the way into battery, who knows. Also, setback is not a thing you will be able to eyeball between two rounds. We are talking in hundreths of inches.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thousandths of inches.

Ram Rod spared me a similar ramble. First, I "recycle" the chambered round to lower in the magazine after a few chamberings. Next, I think you're inviting trouble by easing the slide home softly rather than letting the action spring chamber the round via hitting the slide stop from slide lock, or 'sling-shotting' the slide.

FWIW, among the guns I carry with any frequency (.45, .40 and 9mm), the only ammo I've seen suffer any setback is the Win Silvertip in .45 ACP.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    My self-defense ammo is CorBon DPX. I chamber each round max 3 times, after that I put them in a container and I use them first when I go to the range. I do not rotate the rounds, because if I did I should not know how many times I have re-chambered each of them.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Well, the DPX I had never actually "set-back", because it has a very good crimp. But the bullets just became loose in the casing, I could spin them and almost pull them out with my fingers. and they did NOT do this until I had repeatedly chambered them over and over again. I was thinking this would cause a lack of recoil causing a stovepipe. So I just set them aside and haven't shot them.

The Ranger-T ammo seems to be very sturdy. I'm not sure what it is it just feels like a very good quality made round. It doesn't seem like it'll suffer set-back easily. But it's +P which is why I was worried. I don't need it to have any more pressure.

And I never realized riding the slide could cause issues. I obviously make sure the gun has set into battery. It makes me what to take the mag out, dump the round and reload the gun just by hitting the release like I used to.

I will use one of several mags storing my SD rounds. I will re-enter the same round into the top of each mag a couple of times. When at the range, I will use the first two rounds of each mag and fill with new SD ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I re-chamber a round about 10-12 time then it gets put aside for a range session. I always shoot a mag of my carry ammo, so it doesn't sit around long.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thousandths of inches.
    I was trying to say thousandths and couldn't spell it. I think I may have spelled hundredths wrong too. lol
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    I think it was RamRod who got me marking my chambered rounds with a sharpie to keep track of them. However, I noticed that the G30 never caused any set-back even on cheap non-crimped rounds (although I've never tried DPX). Some guns do this worse than others (my LCP is a monster - it could probably set-back a snap cap ;-).

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    ...setback is not a thing you will be able to eyeball between two rounds. We are talking in hundreths of inches.

I always keep this picture handy.

This round appeared perfect before chambering, no visible setback. It had been chambered less than five times.

it can happen suddenly, and with even good quality ammo. Keep an eye on your rounds.

I had some Federal Personal Defense ammo that looked just about like that after maybe 5 chamberings. I've since switched to Speer Golddot and it seems much more resistant to damage in my PM9. I keep an eye on it, but so far I can't tell the difference between a new round and my rechambered round when using Speer.

I seem to notice a tiny bit of setback on my 9mm Speer Gold Dots after chambering in my SR9C. I load and unload the gun a lot, since I carry +1, and take my mag and ammo with me if I have to leave the gun in my vehicle. I rotate the rounds in the mag, but I don't mark them. I shoot through my carry ammo once every month or two. Should I be concerned?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links