The unassuming 38 spl

This is a discussion on The unassuming 38 spl within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been off this week for deer season, waiting to hit the woods again when the weather breaks, so today I had to make ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The unassuming 38 spl

The unassuming 38 spl

I have been off this week for deer season, waiting to hit the woods again when the weather breaks, so today I had to make a trip to the store to get a pepsi and can of Copenhagen.

While I was letting the truck warm up, I went in the bedroom and looked on the nightstand to pick my carry gun. My choices laying there were my issued G22, my personal G26, M64 S&W, or M642 S&W.

Just like always, I picked up the little j frame , slipped it in my pocket and left the house after securing the others.

As I made the short drive, I began to think about my selection of defensive arms, and how it was always a 38 cal revolver, and how much I depended on that cartridge everyday. It is the single most useful caliber in my world other than the .22.

It is the very reason j frame revolvers are still with us and arguably giving the mighty 1911 a run for most sales and configurations. It is a combination of size, power and simplicity that make it the REAL EDC choice for most off duty LEOs, and civillians no matter what other gun/caliber combo they expouse.

It has served this country in the shadows during major wars riding in the holsters of airmen and sailers chambered in Victory model and M10 configurations.

It is always at the top of most reloaded cartridges, and sold assembled cartridges.

It excells at plinking, small game hunting, self defense, and can be fired in simple rugged, and affordable guns.

It is naturally accurate and effiecient in its design, and more people have probably learned to shoot with this cartridge than anything, save the 22 rimfire.

Despite the lack of advertisement, praise and press received by the 45acp, it endures, standing on its own real and many merits, and not from gun media hype.

Yep, I had to smile as I thought about it. Now on my hip is the M64, carrying a payload of just 6, 38 spl rounds. But I dont feel undergunned at all, I feel like I am in very good company.

Because of the 38, revolvers will always abound. They dont have the same reliability issues that a downsized semi has, which can become very finicky.
    I can go from my 15 oz j frame to my 34 oz k frame, use the same load, and know it will work.

The unassuming 38spl. It may very well be the best candidate for the real #1 American cartridge.

2. Remove Ads

Feeling a little nostalgic this morning glockman? I hear ya. I see where you're comin' from. Good point. Enjoy your day.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Hear Hear!! Needless to say the 38Spl still has a major place in my collection. Great post.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    A week and a half ago, I bought a 1961 S&W model 10-2 at the pawn shop. I was shopping for a carbine for my Dad for Christmas and it caught my eye. I have found that I am carrying the model 10 more than any of my other guns. One reason is because it is a new toy, but I there is something special about this gun. I am have developed a serious affinity for revovlers and it started with a 49 year old revolver.

VIP Member
    LOL. Agreed, glockman. The 38 spl is certainly worthy of an 'ode' or two. I'll be carrying one on Friday, loaded with snake shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Feeling a little nostalgic this morning glockman? I hear ya. I see where you're comin' from. Good point. Enjoy your day.
    Lol, I think it was BikerRns post about the 1911 enduring forever that got me started in this mode of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    A week and a half ago, I bought a 1961 S&W model 10-2 at the pawn shop. I was shopping for a carbine for my Dad for Christmas and it caught my eye. I have found that I am carrying the model 10 more than any of my other guns. One reason is because it is a new toy, but I there is something special about this gun. I am have developed a serious affinity for revovlers and it started with a 49 year old revolver.
    That, is a fine made revolver. A revolver will teach you to shoot well. May you enjoy many more.

I've been looking at a Detective Special that's roughly 92-94% at my local dealer. I have two 38's already and I may pick up the DS as we get closer to the holidays and I see how my finances are going to be. I'm considering picking up a Rossi R92 (with octagon barrel and case hardened receiver) in .357 as well, I intend to mainly shoot 38spl. from it. I just like shooting the 38 special.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Sniff... reading this brought a tear to my eye thinking back to the Colt Agent I used to have...
    lol, I may need to pick up another .38 Special snubbie.

VIP Member
    While most of my revolvers are chambered for .357 they are most often carried and shot with .38s.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Not sure which I like best, my Ruger Speed 6 or S&W 638. Both are a lot of fun to shoot. I couldn't believe how accurate the J-frame is when I first took it to the range.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I bought a S&W 442 recently to use as a pocket gun and back up gun. I took it to the range as soon as I got it and I was impressed by how much fun it is to shoot with a snubbie and how accurate it can be despite its limitations. I find myself carrying my snubbie more often now than my other guns simply because it is so convenient due to its small size, low weight, good stopping power and so easy to conceal. I tend to carry it in a pocket holster, IWB or in an ankle holster and I just love it. Now I am looking into buying a Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum with a 3" barrel that I plan to use as my go-to nightstand gun.

There is something really special about shooting and owning a wheel gun that I just can't explain...it just is.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I bought a S&W 442 recently to use as a pocket gun and back up gun. I took it to the range as soon as I got it and I was impressed by how much fun it is to shoot with a snubbie and how accurate it can be despite its limitations. I find myself carrying my snubbie more often now than my other guns simply because it is so convenient due to its small size, low weight, good stopping power and so easy to conceal. I tend to carry it in a pocket holster, IWB or in an ankle holster and I just love it. Now I am looking into buying a Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum with a 3" barrel that I plan to use as my go-to nightstand gun.

There is something really special about shooting and owning a wheel gun that I just can't explain...it just is.
    Yep! I think part of it is getting back to simple basics in a time where marksmenship were considered important, and men took pride in their abilities and bragged on that, rather than how many rounds they had on tap. Its the feel of a fine action as you squeeze the trigger. Kinda of like a fine scotch, a good cigar, or the smell of leather....damn Im deep today.

Its performance served me well over many years, albeit better from the days of Super Vel on. Even though it was most often carried in a 27, it was seldom wanting.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have hand loaded everything in .38 special from wadcutters that were heard but not felt to +P JHP to snake shot capsules. With that variety available there wasn't much my old Model 10-6 wasn't able to do.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links