Defensive Carry banner

Guy over on xdtalk.com; wife shot 2 home invaders; credible death threats, etc.

6K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  BlueNinjaGo 
#1 ·
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oma-Self-defense-shooting-and-it-s-aftermath-

Home Invasion in Oklahoma, mine (<-- OP on XDTalk, not HeroHog!)
We are all ok thanks to my wife. There is no way to prepare for a phone call from your wife while you are at work that go exactly like this:

Me: Hi sweetie!
Wife: I need you home now, I just shot two invaders!
Me: On the way now! (end of call)

Here are a couple of links to the story:

Mother shoots two home invaders - KFOR

Homeowner Shoots Robbers, Kills 1, Police Say - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

Midwest City woman tells police she shot and killed intruder | NewsOK.com

Feel free to search my name here for a post that was titled "What would you do" a couple of months ago. I'm just too tired to find it right now.

We moved everything we own out of the house and into storage for now due to threats against my family. We ended up needing over nine hours of Midwest City PD protection due to this situation. If you are one of them, all I can say is thank you with all of my heart!

Since most of us are here to learn and prepare ourselves for this type of situation, I plan on doing a full right up at a later date to try and help all of us and I would like very must to make it as interactive as possible.

It may be several days before I can get back on here as my like has been turned upside down right now but i welcome your thoughts and comments. The police have my XDm 9mm in their possession and I may not get it back in time for a pistol class I was going to be taking on Sunday but then again a guess I just need my wife to show me what I need to know...

Thanks to all of you over the last year as I visit this site several times daily. Even though I don't say much here I have learned a great deal.

#3 ·
It's a decision you really should make in advance with full knowledge of the consequences. Things can and likely will get out of hand very quickly. Most people don't have a clue as to the amount of money which will be involved if you shoot someone, regardless of the justification.

As Ayoob often says, "There are no winners to a gunfight, only first losers." This case is a clear example where even the survivor can still lose a lot. Their lives are totally torn apart. Yet, they are still alive. A woman home alone with two small children to protect has very few options available to her when two home invaders break and enter.

Things are happening lightning fast with maximum sensory overload to your emotions while you try to determine what is happening and what to do. Most people, no matter how well they think they have prepared, don't actually believe it will happen to them, so there is likely a period of time where you deny to yourself what is actually happening. Like this couple is finding out, once the shooting is over, you'll likely have very little time to decompress after the incident before the aftermath starts to rain down upon you.

All I can say is that everyone who intends to use a gun for self defense of themself and their family to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. To me, this woman had little if no other choice. I can't say how things would have been different had she tried to hold them at gunpoint and call the police or let them escape. No one can know what will happen until it plays out. But it is what it is. She shot two people, killed one and now the family is living out a nightmare scenario. I think she made the correct choice, but that is of little consequence to the family who is living out this nightmare scenario.

I hope things improve for them quickly and they can put it behind them, salvage their family, and move on. My prayers go out to them.

#6 ·
It sounds like the real part that is tearing their life apart is the threats against their family. Retaliation is a real issue. If no charges are being pressed, I have no idea why they took the firearm into custody. His wife did what she had to do, and did it right. Gangs piss me off.

#8 ·
Wow, quite a story. Why can't the police find out who is making the threats against them and do something about it. Take out a restraining order/protection order against them. I know it's just a piece of paper and doesn't mean much, but at least it will send a message to them that the police know who they are, should something happen to this family in retaliation.

I guess not all instances where someone shoots another person in self defense turn out this bad, where they get threatened with retaliation and have to move and lose their savings, etc. It is a shame that this has happened in this case.

I'm glad the family is doing ok despite everything. My prayers go out to them in hopes that they get relocated to another state and get out from under the house.

The media screwed them up on this one.

#9 ·
When my wife reported 3 teens and they were thrown in jail for burglary, we feared retaliation because they were gang members. We told the police that, and asked to have our names withheld from them. The police gave the criminals her name anyway because she was the witness. They told us "at least if they do retaliate, we'll know who to start our investigation with". Sure enough, they retaliated. The police did nothing except fill out a report. My truck was vandalized and covered in shoe/handprints on the hood, but the police wouldn't take prints or anything. I was furious.

#10 ·
I hate gangs.Drugs,sex,money,drugs,showing off.Thats it.

Also,perfect example of needing more than one gun.Granted,i only have 2,but i can carry my .500 if need be.

#12 ·
Mods this should be required reading for all members new and old.

#14 ·
There's a lot of truth in this statement. Maybe something could be compiled and turned into a sticky since this is one aspect of home protection that I bet most people wouldn't ever consider until it was too late.

#16 ·
Wow. That's an eye opener for sure. Their lives are basically ruined. But the alternative would have been worse. She did a great job. She hit both the scum bags that were inside the house. Killed one of them.

I hope they come out of all this OK. But it is a very valuable learning tool for all of us. Plus, it does show why you need to own more than one gun and be proficient with both. If you have to use your gun to defend yourself, the Police will take it for evidence and you must have another that you can defend yourself with when the possible retaliation starts.

#17 ·
WOW what a read. Glad to hear it worked out for them. One of many lessons to be learned is to have a second firearm in case this happens. Sad they have move because of the threats.

#18 ·
I'm just sayin, they make obeying the law SO hard, what's to keep someone WHO WAS TRYING to do right, from deciding it's really not worth it???
The law takes a really backwards approach, me thinks.

#19 ·
AARRG. I hate this crap. Death threats? Our legal system is absolute crap.

My opinion. You want to break in a house? Be prepared and accept the fact that you might die. That's your problem. Even my mom thinks this way and she's a devoted christian and a democrat!

I seriously hate crap like this. I hope everything turns out ok in the long run for the family.

#20 ·
I watch Gangland on TV,there is no good reason to allow these gangs to operate,and if it was up to me I wouldn't shed a tear if they made it a law that anybody committing a crime while being in a gang or affiliated with a gang that the sentence be death and carried out swiftly,locking them up doesn't do anything but create gangs in prison that then control gangs on the streets including attacks on Corrections Officers,you can only sentence someone to life so many times before they really don't care.Now one death sentence carried out kinda stops the threats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.