My small but effective collection.

This is a discussion on My small but effective collection. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Carry Pistol = M&P40c Home defense pistol = M&P45 (Probably going to trade for a M&P40 full size) Home Defense Shotgun = Remington 870 SHTF ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My small but effective collection.

My small but effective collection.

Carry Pistol = M&P40c
    Home defense pistol = M&P45 (Probably going to trade for a M&P40 full size)
    Home Defense Shotgun = Remington 870
    SHTF Rifle = Ar-15 Model 1 sales upper / Rock River Lower

Not exactly an arsenal but I feel pretty confident I can handle just about anything thrown my way :) I want to add a light and extended mag tube to my 870 in the near future. Possibly might add a side saddle. Next firearm additions will be a 1911-22 for plinking. Would also like to pick up a 22lr conversion for the AR to practice on the cheap. I still need at least one wheel gun to round out the collection though.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Opps, forgot to add the pic lol

SDC10299.JPG
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Certainly a workable collection, even down here in Texas. Our small whitetail fall to the .223 all the time. I've never taken one with a .223 but wouldn't have any issues doing so with picked shots. Shotguns are always good multi-purpose firearms. Good for what ails ya'.

What is your thinking about trading the .45 for another .40? Caliber consolidation?

You really do need a good revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Those are all black scary guns, I think you should add a shiny stainless revolver to the collection.

Not bad, seems like you have most of your bases covered.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    What is your thinking about trading the .45 for another .40? Caliber consolidation?

You really do need a good revolver.
    Consolidation mainly. Having to only stock one caliber to be shared between my primary carry and primary home defense pistol would make life easier. Also, my 40c could use the mags from the full size .40 if needed. Also, I like the 15+1 capacity of the .40. as opposed to the 10+1 of the .45 Thinking my wheel gun will probably be a SP101.

Looks like the 'evil black gun' gang...nice collection.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Looks like the 'evil black gun' gang...nice collection.
    I should have thrown my black spyderco endura 4 and black streamlight microstream in there as well ;)

That will work. I hunt though, so my collection is missing the AR but has a few other nice toys.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Very nice. I like your thinking with the M&P 40. I had one. I kick myself for selling it...
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Nice group of friends there, Rollo. I believe a SP101 would round things out nicely. Of course, a S&W 442 would keep with the color coordination and may give you a little more versatility in carry than the SP101. It might give you the ability to carry it weak side pants pocket for secondary access with your other hand or winter coat pocket carry (weak or strong side) for quicker access than your primary under layers. You can walk through parking lots with your hand in your pocket on your gun and can actually shoot through the pocket if necessary with a DAO internal hammer (no snag). The DAO hammer on the SP101 could still snag in a pocket because it is exposed.

Just a couple thoughts on what might compliment your already nicely balanced inventory. I've got a SP101 and a 442 and either one (or both!!!) would serve you very well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    It's not the quantity, but the quality that matters and you sure have that covered. A solid concealed carry weapon in a good defensive caliber, a home handgun with the best caliber for self defense and a Remington 870 and AR-15 when SHTF and you need some serious firepower to defend your house. I second the motion that you need a solid revolver (perhaps a GP-100 or SP-101 in .357 Magnum).

I too have a small collection: HK USP Compact .40 S&W, Walther P99 9mm, S&W 442 .38+P, Beretta 1934 .380 ACP and Mossberg 590A1. I am planning to add to my collection a Bushmaster AR-15, a Glock 30, an HK P2000sk in .40 S&W, a Kimber in .45 ACP and a Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I never quite grasped the "caliber consolidation" issue. I like my variety, the option of having more than one caliber in the stable. Not once in this lifetime have I been confused between a .38 special and a .45 ACP and a 12 ga. If the .45 runs out, I'll certainly grab the next loaded gun, regardless of caliber, before taking time to reload mags. Is it that difficult for someone to have different boxes of calibers on hand?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Carry Pistol = M&P40c
    Home defense pistol = M&P45 (Probably going to trade for a M&P40 full size)
    Home Defense Shotgun = Remington 870
    SHTF Rifle = Ar-15 Model 1 sales upper / Rock River Lower

Not exactly an arsenal but I feel pretty confident I can handle just about anything thrown my way :) I want to add a light and extended mag tube to my 870 in the near future. Possibly might add a side saddle. Next firearm additions will be a 1911-22 for plinking. Would also like to pick up a 22lr conversion for the AR to practice on the cheap. I still need at least one wheel gun to round out the collection though.
    You're good to go. I only have 4 guns myself too. There is more to life than guns and personally, I don't need that many guns to protect myself. To buy another one is just another gun to shoot and maintain as well as to make up more room for the gun safe.

These are the 4 Guns That I Have:
    H&K USP .40 S&W
    S&W Model 457 .45 ACP
    Mossberg 590 "Special Purpose" 12 ga.
    Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" 5.56mm/.223 Remington

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I never quite grasped the "caliber consolidation" issue. I like my variety, the option of having more than one caliber in the stable. Not once in this lifetime have I been confused between a .38 special and a .45 ACP and a 12 ga. If the .45 runs out, I'll certainly grab the next loaded gun, regardless of caliber, before taking time to reload mags. Is it that difficult for someone to have different boxes of calibers on hand?
    Caliber consolidation is much discussed in forumland and is very popular with many shooters. It makes sense from a practical stand point especially if one's focus is primarily self-defense. Firearms and shooting is a hobby with me so I add more calibers rather than less. Its fun to wring them out by handloading for them and an opportunity to learn something while enjoying a change of pace.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Very well thought out collection; all the bases are covered with quality items. +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links