Guess I'll have to find a new range...

This is a discussion on Guess I'll have to find a new range... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Read news about a local gun range I go regularly to with very high lead levels. They received a huge fine for not cleaning it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess I'll have to find a new range...

Read news about a local gun range I go regularly to with very high lead levels. They received a huge fine for not cleaning it up for three years. For safety's sake I guess the search for a new range is on. Such a shame, they were reasonably priced and the staff for the most part is very friendly.

I'll assume that this was an indoor range?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

High lead levels? That never occurred to me.
    I'll have to say something next time I'm at the gunshop/range. I didn't even know they were tested for that.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The indoor range in my town needs to be shut down. No ventilation (smoke just hangs in the air until it gradually disperses), no A/C, hot as heck and the little wall-mounted fans does nothing), bowling pins and other trash scattered downrange, and it's filty (dirty, cases lying everywhere, etc.). I went there once, won't go back unless a critical need arises. I literally had black gunsmoke residue around my nostrils when I left.

I wouldn't be concerned about lead safety at an outdoor range. It's more of a problem of leeching into the ground water or lead dust being stirred up during backstop maintenance (for which the range would be closed anyhow).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

retsupt99, you assume correctly.

Exclamation Lead Levels

Suggestion;
    Every couple of years,I ask my M.D. to include blood lead level in my physical's blood work.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The indoor range in my town needs to be shut down. No ventilation (smoke just hangs in the air until it gradually disperses), no A/C, hot as heck and the little wall-mounted fans does nothing), bowling pins and other trash scattered downrange, and it's filty (dirty, cases lying everywhere, etc.). I went there once, won't go back unless a critical need arises. I literally had black gunsmoke residue around my nostrils when I left.

I wouldn't be concerned about lead safety at an outdoor range. It's more of a problem of leeching into the ground water or lead dust being stirred up during backstop maintenance (for which the range would be closed anyhow).
    That's very dangerous. I wouldn't be shooting there.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Suggestion;
    Every couple of years,I ask my M.D. to include blood lead level in my physical's blood work.
    That's a good idea, but the downside is once you're "leaded" it says with you. At least you know to knock it off and increase precautions.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    That's very dangerous. I wouldn't be shooting there.
    This is the same as the range the OP is talking about. TW has been a horrible place for years, ever since the original owners sold it. I wont step foot in that cess pool. Its very poorly run/managed, plus the managment likes to accuse people of stealing from him when they did not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's a good idea, but the downside is once you're "leaded" it says with you. At least you know to knock it off and increase precautions.
    No It doesn't,for High Lead levels,and mine is so high it was off the chart,they hook me up to an IV once a week for about 3 hours,they call it keylation and it removes heavy metals from your blood stream.Shooting inside an Indoor range that has no filtering system in place is putting you and your family at risk,children are highly susceptible to lead poisoning.It's not only the lead you inhale,but lead can get into your clothing and if washed with everyone elses clothes just passes it around.The range I have been working on is now ready to reopen,but first they have to bring in a guy from Dallas to work on the filtration system,once it's back up and running then they can open back up
    ONE THING ABOUT KEYLATION IS YOU CAN'T BE TAKING IN NEW HEAVY METALS INCLUDING STUFF FROM SMOKING,OR IT WON'T HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE STORED STUFF.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Chelation treatment wasn't covered by our insurance but we had it done to the wife anyway.
    The wife had unholy levels of multiple metals, not just lead: turns out she grew up in the Ohio Valley, near a coal fired power plant and an aluminum smeltery.
    In the steep-hilled, deep-valley terrain near the Ohio River it's not uncommon to see a thermal inversion with layer on layer on layer of ugly thick smoke capping a valley, holding the stagnant and contaminated air in place. Aluminum gutters last a year if that and cement crumbles from between bricks, and that's just from the sulfur compounds involved.
    Airborne metals are very, very easily absorbed, much faster and to a much higher percentage than metals ingested.
    The chelation treatment does work and I can recommend it.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I was shooting at the range that Barbary mentioned. The fines were around $375,000. I guess I'll be looking for another range as well. Knob Creek (outdoor range) is about 15-20 miles away, but would like another indoor range for the winter months.
    Keech
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

VIP Member
    I think I'll hopefully pass on the blood sucking treatments. I hate needles. Maybe it was mercury I was thinking of? Either way, I'm not going back to that sorry excuse of an indoor range. It's only a matter of time until the EPA slams the doors shut.

You might try Open Range, Keech. I plan to check that one out.

$21 hour single, $31 hour shared, per lane at Open Range. Lunch time special is $12.50.
    (ouch - compared to the other range) But it looks like a nice place.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links