Got my mom to the range!

This is a discussion on Got my mom to the range! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally! She always wanted a gun in the house. My dad finally got one, and I obviously have a few. But she's been so reluctant ...

Thread: Got my mom to the range!

Got my mom to the range!

Finally!

She always wanted a gun in the house. My dad finally got one, and I obviously have a few. But she's been so reluctant to go shoot it. Finally just said to her, "if you ever have any intention on using this gun (Glock 19) for self defense, it's a good idea to at least shoot it, learn how to operate it, and then if you want, you never have to shoot it again". Well it worked. She finally came out with my dad an I. She even had a good time and she shot my AR as well, haha. It was great.

She wasn't very accurate, but she defiantly wants to come out more and work on it. She did hit the target a few times at 7 yards. She finally realized that she needs to know how to use the gun. She just has trouble racking the slide. My only solution to them was to keep it holstered with a chambered round, but they're no fond of that...

Now if I could just get them to keep it more readily available!

It was a good day. Now...sigh, I have to go ammo shopping :(

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Finally!

She always wanted a gun in the house. My dad finally got one, and I obviously have a few. But she's been so reluctant to go shoot it. Finally just said to her, "if you ever have any intention on using this gun (Glock 19) for self defense, it's a good idea to at least shoot it, learn how to operate it, and then if you want, you never have to shoot it again". Well it worked. She finally came out with my dad an I. She even had a good time and she shot my AR as well, haha. It was great.

She wasn't very accurate, but she defiantly wants to come out more and work on it. She did hit the target a few times at 7 yards. She finally realized that she needs to know how to use the gun. She just has trouble racking the slide. My only solution to them was to keep it holstered with a chambered round, but they're no fond of that...

Now if I could just get them to keep it more readily available!

It was a good day. Now...sigh, I have to go ammo shopping :(
    Your making progress that's always a good thing. I have family members who have been around guns of all types for decades that absolutley freak on the idea of leaving a Glock chambered. "It has no safety!" exactly why I like it. My Mom likes to shoot, she pretty well puts the limit at 9mm or 38 spl. +P however. Have fun.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

From having mom be a non-shooter to wanting to go back to the range is a BIG step. Keep working on her...it may just save her life some day.
    Congrats on the progress.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cocking can be difficult, especially the way most people are taught, to pull the slide to the rear. Instead, have her take an overhand grasp of the slide with her left hand and push both hands together, then release the slide to battery.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Got my mom to the range!
    Congratulations! Any day at the range is a good day! With mom, I'd say even better. My mom will never be into guns or make it to the range with me. One of those things I've simply accepted in life.
    Along with my congratulations to you in the attempt.....I want to give your mom some due time as well. First steps are good! A gun in the house should always be something to think about. That's what makes America.
    She wasn't very accurate
    Don't let YOUR expectations hold her back. I think you'll both find what's right in due time. We should never be disappointed in someone else. If we ever feel that way....we need to teach them more. The burden is on us. I'm wishing the both of you the best, and many more trips to the range. I'm thinking you just might come up with the perfect gift for mom this Christmas.

Good job, back when i was in Ohio I'd take my mom to the range for Mother's Day. She isn't much of a shooter, but she always seemed to enjoy those trips. She liked shooting my AK too.

For the slide racking issue, make sure she is keeping the elbow locked on the arm holding the pistol, and kind of pushes down on the grip while pulling back on the slide.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

From having mom be a non-shooter to wanting to go back to the range is a BIG step. Keep working on her...it may just save her life some day.
    Congrats on the progress.
    Well thankfully, she was a supporter before hand. Just scared, or nervous that she wouldn't be able to do it. But I'm glad she finally did. Like you said, it could save her life someday.

She always wanted a gun in the house, but wanted to wait until us kids were older. My older sisters all have moved out, have kids and live their lives. I'm the only loser who still lives at home, hahaha. I don't hear CRAP at night. My mom is the one who hears the noises and hears the dogs bark. She's already gone outside the leave the dogs out and saw a guy just standing in our driveway. The dogs chased him off thankfully.

I'm glad she's taking this step. I just hope that if she hears a noise, she's smart enough to grab the gun (if they keep it readily available).

Cocking can be difficult, especially the way most people are taught, to pull the slide to the rear. Instead, have her take an overhand grasp of the slide with her left hand and push both hands together, then release the slide to battery.
    Yes. I was trying to have her overhand grab the slide which worked better for her. She still had trouble, but was able to do it. I told her to just pull back with her left hand and push forward slightly with the right and let go with the left.

Congratulations! Any day at the range is a good day! With mom, I'd say even better. My mom will never be into guns or make it to the range with me. One of those things I've simply accepted in life.
    Along with my congratulations to you in the attempt.....I want to give your mom some due time as well. First steps are good! A gun in the house should always be something to think about. That's what makes America.
    Yes, thank you :)

Don't let YOUR expectations hold her back. I think you'll both find what's right in due time. We should never be disappointed in someone else. If we ever feel that way....we need to teach them more. The burden is on us. I'm wishing the both of you the best, and many more trips to the range. I'm thinking you just might come up with the perfect gift for mom this Christmas.
    Haha, she was making fun of herself about her accuracy. I think she did good, I was not one bit disappointed. I think her just taking the step to actually go do it was good enough!

I already asked her if she'd ever buy her own and what she might like. So far a Glock 19 and my Glock 30 is her only experience. She shot my AR-15 and liked it the most, but she'd never consider buying an AR-15, haha. She defiantly likes the 9mm better. It'll be awhile until she'd actually want her own. I think for now, my dad and her will probably share the G19 :)

And my dad learned a lesson as well. Even a Glock will jam when combining cheap ammo and cheap aftermarket mags.

On the other hand I just bought more ammo. That hurt :(

GM
    Just keep working on her and give time to the time.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    This is exactly how my Mom started out, one day it was go to the range, then next thing you know it was when are we going again, then it was I want a gun and my permit, and shes paying on her second gun now!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Everyone in the house should be trained on any weapons that are kept in the house. Your Mom will be much better qualified to protect herself after shooting the weapon that will be kept in her house. Congrats!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links