Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine

Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine

This is a discussion on Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .44 Mag makes a good SD / hunting firearm. One of the many things I've learned from .22 LRs has been never to quite trust ...

Thread: Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine

Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine

.44 Mag makes a good SD / hunting firearm. One of the many things I've learned from .22 LRs has been never to quite trust a rimmed cartridge in a semi-auto (and a few other such semi-autos that use rimmed cartridges). However, the Ruger .44 Magnum carbine I'm looking at is tube fed (not magazine), so perhaps that takes care of the issue?

I'm back to considering a purchase of a Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine. After hunting season, while I love my 30-06(s), sometimes I would like something a little lighter and shorter when I'm busting threw the brush trying to flush something out. 30/30 is always a consideration, but I would like to have a pistol / rifle combo, and 44 mag fits the ticket.

A lever action (winchester had been the brand most on my mind) in 44 mag would do it, but there is something about the Ruger .44 Mag carbine.

For those who know far more then I do about firearms (majority of the forum), I have three questions:

1) I can get a used one for $500. Looks to be in good shape, but used a bit. Price check?

2) I've heard of feed problems. Anyone interested to share their knowledge on this?

3) One reason I lean toward the lever action, additional options for target practice. I don't believe the Ruger can use 44 spl. If this correct?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

gun.jpgI dont know about price, but I can tell you to only use quality jacketed hollow point ammo in the ruger. Now, my opinion, the 44 in a carbine will handle anything on this continent with finess. It is my weapon of choice for deer in heavy brush. It will knock them senseless and deader than dead. Hit in the shoulder, they crash down hard and stay there. I have a Marlin 1894 with a factory ported 16.5 inch barrel and it light, fast and handy in close quarters. It cant be beat for a tree stand gun. The 16.5s are hard to impossible to find, but the 20 inchers are out there. Heres a pick of my combo. You wont be sorry. Mine is set up to use a Burris compact 4x which is not on it in the pic, with a Lyman#47 peep sight, backed up by the folding leaf.

Take a look at the Marlin carbines too. They make some pretty handy carbines in both .357 and .44. I went with the .357 when I was looking at them, and haven't regretted it. It matches with all my .38's and .357's quite well. It's light in the hand, quick to shoulder, and plenty accurate, and the .357 round out of the longer barrel should do the job just fine. My brother has one in .44, and it works well too, although recoil is a bit stout, and it is more expensive to feed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The .44 mag is a fine round for hunting as long as you know its limitations. One of my friends grabs a Win 94 in .44 mag when he has just a couple of hours to walk a cornfield in late season, and he's bagged more deer in the last 10 years with that gun than with his Model 70.

You're obviously talking about the original Ruger carbine with the tube magazine, rather than the "Deerfield" carbine that uses the rotary mag. Two of my acquaintances hunted with this carbine and reported no feeding problems. However, the rotary mag in the Deerfield eliminates the geometry problems of feeding rimmed cartridges in a conventional (box) magazine.

The Ruger .44 carbine has always commanded a good price in the used gun market. $500 doesn't seem outrageous at all, but I would verify proper functioning before declaring the deal done. For a price check, log onto GunBroker.com and see what the auctions close at.

Neither the original .44 carbine nor the 'Deerfield" model will function properly with .44 Special ammo, and further, Ruger strongly recommends the use of jacketed ammo, presumably to minimize fouling of gas ports and passages.

M94 prices have been artificially inflated by misguided "collector" status since Winchester/USRA shut down the New Haven plant a few years ago. That means that even the less-popular models chambered in .44 mag are over-priced. I think it's a coin toss between the Ruger carbine and a lever gun in .44 mag... you won't go wrong with either one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

glockman10mm, nice combo. I know the 16 / 17 inchers are hard to find, but until I find one, or just buy one new, if I were to get a lever action in 44 mag, I would want the shorter (20 inch might not be much more, but somehow it always is).

buckeyeLCPL, I have a lot of thinking to do with .357 mag vs .44 mag. .357 is a fine round for deer, however nothing I hate more then tracking something hit just before twilight that got up and ran after a hit. Lucky for me I have a brother with a 44 marlin, and will be able to figure out if recoil is an issue. I don't think it will be, as 30.06 is eash to control for me, however a lot of difference between how a 30.06 takes up recoil and a lever action might.

gasmitty, thanks, I don't know any who hunt with a 44 mag. Friends, family, even down to cousins, stick to 30.06, 30/30, 12 guage, and .357 as a side-arm to finish.
    Last edited by Thanis; November 22nd, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Lead Moderator
    My dad owns a .44 Ruger carbine. No issues with his. It feeds nicely with semi jacketed hollow points and is a great brush gun. It feels like handling a heavy 10/22 and the recoil isn't bad at all. $500 sounds about right.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    There is one on Gunbroker right now.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=202090344
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links