questions about having a rifle shipped to me - MI to TX

This is a discussion on questions about having a rifle shipped to me - MI to TX within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've done a search and found a thread about a rifle being shipped from AZ to UT, but I still need a little clarification. I ...

Thread: questions about having a rifle shipped to me - MI to TX

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

I've done a search and found a thread about a rifle being shipped from AZ to UT, but I still need a little clarification. I will likely be buying a rifle from my BIL who lives in MI and will need it shipped to TX. Now, according to The ATF, it says
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    So, am I to understand that since we are dealing with a rifle, he (who does not have a CHL) may ship it to me who does by USPS? He doesn't need to go through an FFL on his end? Also, this sounds silly, but the wording makes it sound like as long as it's a long gun, he can send it straight to me. Is this true? I always thought you'd need to use an FFL for any gun shipment.

Any clarification?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

That's not what it says. He can ship it with USPS himself, but he has to ship it to a FFL in your state (unless state law prohibits it). He can NOT ship it directly to you.
    Just as a side not, I believe that for shipping handguns a nonlicensee can not ship via USPS, but you can ship UPS/FedEx overnight.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    That's not what it says. He can ship it with USPS himself, but he has to ship it to a FFL in your state (unless state law prohibits it). He can NOT ship it directly to you.
    Just as a side not, I believe that for shipping handguns a nonlicensee can not ship via USPS, but you can ship UPS/FedEx overnight.
    Sorry, I was misinterpreting the terminology of the their site. By "licensee" they mean an FFL, not a person with a CCW. Ha! I'm an idiot :-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Sponsored Links