Massad Ayoob's "significant other's" son stabbed, nearly killed, in Chicago

This is a discussion on Massad Ayoob's "significant other's" son stabbed, nearly killed, in Chicago within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From his firearm blog: On the morning of November 14th, significant other and I were awakened in the wee hours in Phoenix by a phone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob's "significant other's" son stabbed, nearly killed, in Chicago

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

From his firearm blog:

On the morning of November 14th, significant other and I were awakened in the wee hours in Phoenix by a phone call from an Emergency Room in Chicago. Her son was there. He had been stabbed multiple times.
    We diverted to Chicago. By the time we got there, the brilliant surgeons at Illinois Masonic Medical Center – one of four Level I trauma hospitals in the city – had done their magic. The attacker’s blade had pierced both spleen and diaphragm. He had lost so much blood the paramedics thought they were going to lose him in the ambulance, but new glue-like technology allowed the medicos to stanch the hemorrhage from the spleen without removing the organ. (My surgeon friends have long told me that trying to sew up solid abdominal viscera, liver or spleen, is like trying to suture Jello. You can live without your spleen, but your quality of life goes down thereafter.) They pretty much had to disembowel him to do the reconstruction and then re-pack everything into an incision that went from sternum to pubis, but they put him back together pretty damn well.
    He went home last night, after eight days in what has – rightfully, I have to attest – been named one of the best hospitals in the United States. Being necessarily disassembled and reassembled in this fashion caused a “shock to the bowels” and it took a while for the digestive system to get back up and running. The young man is looking at eight weeks of serious convalescence, and probably 18 months to two years before he gets back to normal.
    The attack took place outside an upscale restaurant/tavern in a nice neighborhood on the Northwest Side. So much for the shibboleth that “if you just stay away from bad places, nothing bad will ever happen to you.” Of course, in Chicago, ordinary people aren’t allowed carry anything to defend themselves against a lethal weapon assault.
    Given Chicago’s level of violent crime today, the city’s undermanned, underequipped, and overburdened police department is doing a good job with the investigation. They believe they’ve identified the suspect. I anticipate an arrest soon.
    A week at that hospital with the victim’s mom makes me (and the mom, and the victim’s lovely young wife, and their three fine sons) a little more in tune with the national Giving of Thanks that is scheduled this week. It ain’t just about turkey and cranberry sauce, is it?
    I wish all of you reading this a wonderful Thanksgiving week. Don’t let celebration get in the way of remembering the name, and the meaning, of the holiday.
    I can only tell you that on this end, we have much to give thanks for this coming Thursday.
    http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/11/22/
    Last edited by MattInFla; November 23rd, 2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added link to article
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glad the man lived through it.Knives are very dangerous even if a person is armed,which this man was not,I suppose.

Happy everything is on it's way back to normal. I hope they catch the person responsible, and he gets what he deserves. Family should be close to the top of the Thanksgiving list.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I wonder ... One of the country's leading security and defense experts has a close family member gutted like a fish in a city that despises a well-defended citizenry and the liberty to do so. In a strange way, this specific crime might have a chance at being the straw that broke the camel's back, helping to start an unquenchable firestorm of criticism that ends up changing the position taken by anti-liberty, anti-defense Chicago. Perhaps.

My thoughts go out to Mas and his family. Tough times, with a close family member on a gurney.

May the one who attempted murder be caught soon and dealt with appropriately.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Prayers for all involved, and prayers of thanks for the doctors. That must be a tough city for the docs.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I hope the physical and emotional recovery continues to go smoothly for them all.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sad news, but it could have been worse...hopefully the scumbag responsible will meet swift justice.
    Added to my DC list.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Prayers to the young man, Massad and the rest of the family. I hope the low life that committed this act is caught and does some serious time for his acts.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I wonder ... One of the country's leading security and defense experts has a close family member gutted like a fish in a city that despises a well-defended citizenry and the liberty to do so. In a strange way, this specific crime might have a chance at being the straw that broke the camel's back, helping to start an unquenchable firestorm of criticism that ends up changing the position taken by anti-liberty, anti-defense Chicago. Perhaps.
    My thoughts exactly, I would be very surprised if Chicago doesn't get hit with a lawsuit, maybe more than one.

ugh, I hate knives
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Knives scare me more than guns. A shot or two from a gun and you're dead; a knife can turn you into a slab of sliced bacon, making you wish you were dead.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Prayers for Mass and his family and may the perp get what he so richly deserves. This one will undoubtedly gain more attention than your average assault in the Windy City! Just maybe it will get enough publicity to have some good come out of it for ALL the law abiding citizens of the peoples republic of Illinois that want to be able to protect themselves! Lets all hope and pray so!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Bad deal, hope he recovers soon. I too am shocked that Mas would have any peace of mind with family living in Chicago, none of us know all of the circumstances why the son lives there (school, job, GF, other family), but hopefully some good will come of this and the BG is caought and dealt with.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Ex Member
    I have a cousin who has lived in Chicago his entire 62 years. He is so sick of the city he is moving across the border to Indiana where you CAN defend yourself.

Administrator
    Glad that he is going to be OK. That was very bad internal injury & with a tough recovery.
    The human body is an amazing machine though with regard to healing & I'm hoping that his recovery goes smoothly.
    In the same breath I'm also hoping that they nail the low-life dirtbag that knifed him.

I am so happy that I escaped Chicago and now live in a free state. Yet another example of why I was happy to leave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links