My mom's early Christmas presents

This is a discussion on My mom's early Christmas presents within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently turned 21 and bought my first pistol. I let my mom shoot it and she LOVED it. She had never been interested in ...

I recently turned 21 and bought my first pistol. I let my mom shoot it and she LOVED it. She had never been interested in guns before this. She jokingly asked for a gun for Christmas (she really wanted one, but didn't expect me to buy her one). We went into a few stores and she held a few guns. She liked the feel of the Springfield XDs, and they were in a good price range. I got her a Springfield XD 9mm sub-compact with the XD Gear (extra $30, which was worth it for what I was planning).

I wanted to take her out to the gun range before it got too cold (there's no indoor ones nearby), but it was closed for hunting season. I bought her some snap caps, so I've been working with her with those. She struggles a bit more field stripping hers than she did with my USP, which I wasn't expecting. Everything on the XD is much tighter.

She was struggling to pull the slide back, but I helped her with her grip and she doesn't have any problems with that anymore. She does have troubles reaching the slide lock to lock it back when she field strips it though. Working with her on it, it seems its easiest for her to hold it left handed, grip the slide towards the front with her right hand, and work the slide lock with her thumb on her right hand.

We talked about where she wants to keep the gun. We both liked the idea of mounting it under her bed where she can reach it easily, but still keep it hidden.

I've attached some pictures of the mount I made for it. Everything I used to make it I had laying around, so it didn't cost me anything. Took me about 30 minutes to put together.

I started with a piece of 3/4" x 6" pine that was already a good length. I wrapped it in some black vinyl I had left over from a previous project. The leather strap was cut from a cheap belt I bought online. Amazon was offering free shipping on orders over $25, and I had $20 worth of stuff, so I found that belt for $6 and got free shipping, instead of paying $5 shipping. I used drywall shanks to attach the leather and painted the heads black to match the leather and vinyl. I used some black wood screws to attach it to the bed frame. Overall, I think it worked out pretty nice. The vinyl and leather match closer in real life than they appear in the pictures, the vinyl is flat black though, and looks more gray in the picture than in real life.

I also bought her an AkoRay flashlight that the manufacturer rated at 210 lumens. I have one for myself too, and they are definitely extremely bright. I have a problem with mine liking to change settings on its own every once in a while (will go from high to medium, back to high, etc.), but for a cheap flashlight thats as bright as it is, I'm happy. I tried out her flashlight and she doesn't have the same problem.
    Attached Images
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Good deal. My wife loves her XD sc.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You my Sir are an excellent young man your mom did well with you!!!!

It looks great!! Lucky Mom.

Wish I could do the same for my mom, but she claims to dislike guns. I think she secretly would like one though, but would have a lot of explaining to do to my sisters for her anti stance over the last many years.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Big + to you and what your doing for your mother.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    That is great.!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

It's good your takin care of Mom! I'm sure she will love the XD.

But I have to tell you, you've got the spikes placed wrong on that claymore!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks everyone. I've really been trying to help my mom since my dad passed away this summer. Shes living alone now and I want to keep her safe. I'm off to college, but I drive home every weekend. My sister lives in the same city as my mom, so she comes over a lot during the day.

She said that she would shoot someone if they broke in and threatened her, so I think she's in a good frame of mind for owning a gun for self defense, vs not being able to shoot someone and having the gun taken from her. I've talked to her about getting a concealed carry permit, and once Wisconsin allows it, she will be interested in carrying.

We've talked about what to do if someone breaks into the house while she is there. She always keeps the doors locked, which is good. Her plan is to lock herself in her bedroom, grab her gun, and call 911. We live in a small enough city that the response times are only a couple of minutes. I plan on installing a solid-core door to her bedroom soon, likely when I'm home from college for Christmas.

She also showed an interest in some defensive classes, so I'm looking into both a handgun defense class and something like Krav Maga. I worked with her a bit on a few self defense moves. She's able to take a gun away from me, but not quite smoothly enough that she isn't at risk of getting shot in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I think she secretly would like one though, but would have a lot of explaining to do to my sisters for her anti stance over the last many years.
    Surprise her for Christmas :)
    I've found almost everyone I talk to that is anti-gun just hasn't been around them or shot them. In college I have a couple friends that are from Chicago, so they've never handled a gun. They had pretty much absorbed the anti-gun bologna they spew in Chicago. I've worked with them a bit, showing them my gun, how it operates, talking about self defense, etc.. Over the past few months, they've went from believing the whole "guns are evil" thing to considering purchasing their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    But I have to tell you, you've got the spikes placed wrong on that claymore!
    Well, I think the problem is that my claymore isn't labeled "Toward Enemy". I wanted the shanks to have as much "grip" as possible, so I used long ones, then just snapped the parts sticking out off.

This thread has deviated a bit from general firearms discussion :)

And even more off topic. Isn't it amazing how one small project can turn into a huge one? I was trying to surprise my mom by installing a new garbage disposal before she got home. Usually not too bad of a project. I had the old one out when she got home, and she asked if we could put the new sink in too, while I was working on it. (My mom and dad found a brand new Kohler sink at a rummage sale that the beginning of summer for $15. We checked and they retail for about $300.)

Well, I measured, and the hole for it was the perfect size, so I ended up taking out the old sink, and putting in the new one. The sink only had 2 holes punched, so we ended up finding a new faucet to install too. The old setup didn't have valves to shut off the water, so I ended up having to turn the water off to the hole house so I could install some new valves. So now I got a new sink installed, new faucet installed and I'm waiting for the caulk to dry (holding the sink in place), so I can finish hooking up the garbage disposal.

We almost ended up with new kitchen counter-tops today too, but unless I piece it together, we would have to wait for a custom order.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Good choice! I love my XD9sc and it should serve her well.

If you need an extra place for her to put it, try one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mPlW6au9c

There's similar videos on youtube.

GM
    That was very, very nice of you sir
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links