anyone know how to polish a stainless steel gun?

This is a discussion on anyone know how to polish a stainless steel gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a couple stainless steel revolvers, and have heard that they can be polished with something like Fitz stainless steel polish, has anyone ever ...

Thread: anyone know how to polish a stainless steel gun?

anyone know how to polish a stainless steel gun?

I have a couple stainless steel revolvers, and have heard that they can be polished with something like Fitz stainless steel polish, has anyone ever done this?

2. Remove Ads

sorry, I posted that in the wrong location

After cleaning, try one of the silicone rags like Rusty's Rag.

They'll shine up like new money,
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Flitz is great. Google it, I couldn't find it locally but got it on line from a True-Value in NY state.

GM
    I use Fitz and a Dremel tool.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Ex Member
    I have done 10-12. You can use Flitz, SemiChrome, or Mothers Mag Wheel Polish. I have used them all, and Mothers gives the best results. I have done ALL of mine by hand, without drills, or Dremils. Start by pulling the cylinder off, one screw with Taurus, and S&W's. Get two soft cotton cloths, an old T-shirt cut in half works great. Pot a pea size glob on one of the cloths and rub a 2-3 inch area till the rag turns black. Wipe remaining off with other rag and buff lightly. Don't let it cake up, or fill the screw holes and dry. Keep some q-tips handy or if need be spray off with brake clean. Sometimes I will leave the top of the barrel, and the cylinder flutes, the duller finish. Sometimes I will do the whole pistol.

You can get a stainless pistol looking like it's nickel plated in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I get bonus points when my GF wants me to watch some crap on Lifetime. I sit in the room, AND get a wheel gun looking good. Still a little nervous? Pull the grips and experiment on a hidden area. You will LOVE the results.

Check my avatar. These are 2 I did by hand with Mothers.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    flitz!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

The more patient you are, the happier you'll be with the results. You can also use Brownell's "555" polish either warmed up or dissolved.

There is one downside, although it looks great, it shows every fingerprint and smear.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

thanks for the info, I'll have to give it a try, I have one taurus semi auto that's about 5 months old, wonder how it would work on that?

jyo
    I have used two different products to achieve two different finishes---a product called "Lead away cloth" (for removing lead from inside barrels and the front of revolver cylinders) will shine stainless to look like a chrome finish---very bright. Another product is "Scotchbrite" pads (green---not with soap---used for scubbing pots and pans)---this will produce a "satin" finish like most new guns come with---this is great for removing scratches from stainless guns and also watches. Good luck with your project.

When all cleaned and polished, use Renaissance Wax (google it ) and you'll have a good look , good shine, and protection on it that will do no harm either .... and it won't show every finger print on it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would advise against it. Both for the time involved to get it perfect, fingerprints, etc. I tried it on my Ruger and could not get an even mirror shine. Gave up and scuffed it back to brushed finish. Why not mirror polish a few areas as accents? Maybe the grooves in the cylinder, or the whole cylinder, etc.

And DO NOT fall into the Dremel trap. Those are evil little machines when it comes to firearms. One little moment of inattention, the wheel grabs and now you have some nice divots/scratches from the hardened collar. DAMYHIKT!

Links