New Scope great and Old scope problems

This is a discussion on New Scope great and Old scope problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some may have remembered seeing my new 10/22 build here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=gemtech If not, well, you can see it there Anyway, I had originally purchased a: ...

Some may have remembered seeing my new 10/22 build here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=gemtech
    If not, well, you can see it there

Anyway, I had originally purchased a:
    Mueller Tactical Rifle Scope 8.5-25x 44mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte Black
    which I found at midwayusa. Reviews looked good and I didn't want to spend a fortune on a 10/22 scope.

I was disappointed to say the least when after mounting, remounting, and remounting again I was consistantly getting shot patterns 1' below target at 50yrds. That was with the elevation knob cranked to full height!

So I slapped that little old cheapie airgun red dot I had on it and sure enough it shot straight and true. Not to be outdone and my curiousity piqued, I ordered another scope for further comparison.

I ordered a:
    BSA 30mm 3X Mag. Tactical Red, Green, Blue Dot Sight
    which I found at Natchez.

As of this week I have tested:
    1. old cheapie red dot from an old airgun(model maker unknown),
    2. The Meuller listed above,
    3. The BSA Red 3x Red Dot listed above,
    4. and I pulled the BSA Holosight I had on my AR and tried it as well

Out of all 4 of those, the only one consistantly off is the Meuller. The BSA Red Dot took 4 elev clicks up and 2 elev clicks right and it's now dead on at 50yrds. The BSA Holosight I didn't even have to rezero, it was dead on from the start. The cheapie old airgun red dot needed readjustment after the first 5 shots, but was holding at zero without any major adjustments up/down/left/right or otherwise.

So I guess this leaves me with sending the Meuller back to the manufacturer. Anyone else every have this kind of problem with that brand/model scope before? Or am I just missing some basic scope troubleshooting step besides basic 50yrd zeroing?

I guess I should post pics of the scopes, but I'm not at home(visiting fam). I'll try to remember to upload the pics of the various scope/sighting options tried when I get home at some point this weekend.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I don't know your level of experience but... you did adjust the scope according to the manufacturer instruction? Some refer "UP" as moving the reticle up, while others may refer to moving the shot pattern "UP"... if it is shooting low you want the reticle to move down.

Also many scopes have an MOA adjustment that should compensate for a rather large variety of mounting configurations... unless that scope was defective? If you say it was cranked enough to be maxed out it may already be damaged.

If you can borrow a bore laser or bore sighting kit, you can play with bore sighting the scope before live fire... this saves head aches later.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    28 power scope on a .22? Sounds like overkill. Expecting to shoot the eyes out of a fly at 1000 yds?

Did you borescope the Mueller before making any adjustments? That should have pointed out any gross mounting issues. Without pics it's hard to say what is wrong. Hope you get it figured out without having to send it back.

P.S. Aim between the fly's eyes. They can be fairly dangerous when wounded!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    28 power scope on a .22? Sounds like overkill. Expecting to shoot the eyes out of a fly at 1000 yds?

Did you borescope the Mueller before making any adjustments? That should have pointed out any gross mounting issues. Without pics it's hard to say what is wrong. Hope you get it figured out without having to send it back.

P.S. Aim between the fly's eyes. They can be fairly dangerous when wounded!
    wow I didn't even look at the size of that scope
    I have a 3-9X on my 270 win
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Could be a couple of things going on here. The obvious thing is that you may have a defective scope, but fortunately you bought it from Midway. I would contact them for guidance, first.

What you could try in the interim is to swap your rings front-to-back, to see if they are perhaps not identical.

Beyond that, your rings and the goodness of their attachment to the receiver are "drivers" in the scope equation. Skip the cheesy Ruger mount and get the B-Square mount for Weaver rings, and the appropriate Burris 'Signature' rings - about $20 and $15 respectively. That's a proven solid arrangement.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links