Another to the fold perhaps

This is a discussion on Another to the fold perhaps within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. My sister and brother in-law came into town for Thanksgiving. My sister has been on and off about getting ...

Thread: Another to the fold perhaps

Another to the fold perhaps

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

My sister and brother in-law came into town for Thanksgiving. My sister has been on and off about getting a CCW for a while, today more or less out of the blue she just spoke up and said show me your "little black pistol". That really doesn't narrow it down a lot at my house so we went to the safe and started to look. It turns out that my mother had told her about my Ruger LCP and that is what she wanted to see, however today the LCP was parked beside the G26 in the safe. She looked over the LCP felt of it etc then she asked if she could look at the 26. She liked the 26 a lot. As I was getting ready to put things back where they go she said what's that one and pointed. She'd zeroed in on my Glock 36. We have a winner! I think she lost all interest in the 26 and the LCP when she got the 36 in her hand. She's never fired a .45 and they will be in town through Sunday. We're going to take both Glocks and the LCP out and she's going to try them. I don't want to scare her off before she gets started with the .45 so I was thinking some 185 and for the 9 some 115. I hope she likes one of the Glocks she'll likely not have a second gun for a long time if ever and personally I think the 26 or 36 would server her better than the LCP. I intend to take a few others as well so she can try out some she might not even consider otherwise. If she's interested I want to do all I can to get her over to our side.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

2. Remove Ads

Glad you all had a good Thanksgiving with family.
    Your sister will be at home with the Glock. That's just my take on things.

You may have found yet another Glock-36 lover? If she was sold on the feel, she'll love the way it shoots.
    Congrats on making a new convert via the dark side.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thanks for sharing. I hope she is able to handle the 36. It is a great carry gun.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm betting she can handle the .45. It's not that vicious. Show her how to use a firm grip and she might surprise you!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Good luck, I agree with RamRod she'll fall for that G36.

Just a thought ... whenever I take a new shooter, that is someone totally new to shooting, to the range, I always take Skeeter, my Sig .22, to start them off. Let them watch me shoot it, then shoot it themselves, just so they can feel a gun go off in their hands before moving them up to something that will protect and defend them. But .... that's just me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Has she shot before,or is this her first time? I actually like starting people people off on the highest caliber (with the exception of the .500),and letting them go down to smaller ones.Then they see that it bad at all to shoot .45 instead of 9mm.

Good for you! It's nice when your spouse/girlfriend, whoever, takes an interest in firearms.

We were both 18 when I married my wife 48 years ago. She's now 66 and never took an interest at all in shooting. This spring I was target shooting my Kel-Tec 9 MM P-11 and she was watching. Out of the blue, she says, "May I try that?" I though Oh, no!!!! Wish this was a .22! After firing two magazines, (20 shots) she says "Hey, this is fun!!!!" Today, she is the owner of two handguns, both stainless. A Ruger SP101 .357 that she shoots .38 +Ps in and a Ruger Mark III .22. She's taking her CCW class December 11th. She now owns better weapons than I do! You just never know when the mood will hit a person!
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

She's actually shot before, we grew up with guns of all types. I'd forgot until I talked with her again today, (we're going out tomorrow, she had to shop today ), but she told me "don't you remember I used to shoot Dads .44 magnum". OK I forgot, she'll do fine with the 36.

Way cool - sounds like she'll go a long way with the right encouragement.

Went out today and let my sister fire the LCP, G26, G36, PPK 380, LCR 38, and just for a bit of comparison Ruger Security Six with some .357 in it. She pretty well liked all of them with the exception of the LCR. She did well with them, I think she actually shot the PPK or the Security Six most accurately, but she did well enough with any of them to pick it up easily. She liked the G36 better than the G26 even after firing it. I started her with some 185s but we did progress to some 230 +P, while she admitted she wouldn't want to shoot the 230 alot she did fine with it too. Bottom line at the end of the day she asked if she could get a G36 AND a PPK both new for 1k or less, nope not likely. She wanted to know at that point if she could get the G36 and an LCP. Quite possible. I'm not sure which route she intends to take but it seems the G36 and a 380 of somesort are in the cards. Just to give a bit more of a brotherly gentle nudge I offered to give her a couple of magazines and some ammo for the G36 if she got one.

Way to take care of Sis,
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Its great that you show an interest that is the same as your sisters... maybe you can both start shooting IDPA together... as long as you let her win once in awhile, lol. Bunker

Great story. Look slike she will be in the fold in no time.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links