Today's mystery question - Pistol serial number becoming illegible.

This is a discussion on Today's mystery question - Pistol serial number becoming illegible. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After nearly 4 years of daily carrying (15x7) and sporting competition shooting, the serial number on the frame is becoming illegible. The first 2 digits ...

Thread: Today's mystery question - Pistol serial number becoming illegible.

Today's mystery question - Pistol serial number becoming illegible.

After nearly 4 years of daily carrying (15x7) and sporting competition shooting, the serial number on the frame is becoming illegible. The first 2 digits you have to have the light just right to read.

I was planning on having the pistol re-finished as a winter project, but I have a valid concern that the S/N will be completely illegible when completed, which will put me in violation of Federal Law for altering/obscuring the S/N.

Anybody here "Been There, Done That"?

What do I need to do to get the number officially verified and re-stamped?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Easiest way to do it is to get it restamped while you can still make it out.

I just sent a short barrelled shotgun to the crime lab in Little Rock so that they could "lift" the number. The number had been marked over by an electro etching pen. When I get it back and they confirm the number, I'll gring off the area where the number was and restamp it.

The refinisher cannot alter or hide the serial number due to refinishing or he will be in violation.

If you can find an 07 FFL, this wouldn't be an issue. They can simply removed the serial number and restamp it and it is legal for them to do so. Technically, anyone else that removes a serial number would be quilty of defacing a serial number on the firearm, so you would have to be careful with that.It'd be a simple thing for a Manufacturer (07) and definatly easier than trying to deal with the police as most of them dont have a clue as to what is legal and what it not when it comes to firearms and I can say that because I deal with them occasionaly on these issues.

If the 07 can make out the number at all, he can just restamp or engrave it. It must be at least .003 deep and 1/16" tall. Plus, if he has to keep it for awhile to get it done, he can legally do that too.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, that is a better start than going through the BATFE as my local FFL suggested.

I shot off an e-mail to Magnum Research to inquire. They make their own line of firearms, as well as the original importer of my Baby Eagle.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's illegal to intentionally alter or obliterate the s/n. It wearing off isn't a crime. I've noticed that laser-etched marking don't wear as well as stamped ones.

Do you happen to have a sales receipt, etc. with the s/n listed? Probably the safest route is to return the firearm to the manufacturer and have them restamp/re-engrave/re-etch. Then there shouldn't be any questions raised as to who did it or why.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, I finally heard back from Magnum Research. They clam that they can and will re-cut the serial number, I just need to send it in. I'll need to call them to get more details like $$$ and if I need to send the whole pistol or just the frame.

This is a good thing, unless the price is stupid high.

Thanks for your assistance everyone...well the two of you.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Links