FFL to FFL without change of ownership

FFL to FFL without change of ownership

This is a discussion on FFL to FFL without change of ownership within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do realize that legal advice over the internet is worth what I paid for it, and if I had a good gun store to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFL to FFL without change of ownership

Question FFL to FFL without change of ownership

I do realize that legal advice over the internet is worth what I paid for it, and if I had a good gun store to ask in Hawaii they could probably answer me. But my question is this, could I have a FFL transfer one of my weapons to another FFL, so that I could pick it up from them at a future date.

I'm not planning anything diabolical here, but if this is possible I may be doing it in the future.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Uh, have you asked your FFL? Theoretically I think you could. The only thing that comes to mind is, that the FFL's have to log them in/out I believe for specific reasons. I don't know if the FFL you're sending it to will be able to just let you pick it up without paperwork or something to get it off their books. But of course I'm only guess at this. Best thing to do would be to ask an FFL.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Tkruf, no, I haven't, due to geographic and time zone differences. I am just trying to see if this is even feasible, I'd have no problem doing paperwork for the second FFL.

I may be doing a cross-country road trip sometime in the next year, and don't want to do it unarmed, and my starting point is not my home, where my firearms are, so I'm looking into ways to get the firearm to my starting point.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

If you are talking about a handgun, I believe you must be a resident of the state where the 2nd FFL will be transfering. Assuming you are (and you will need ID to prove it) a 4473 and background check would be required, but should not be a problem.

If you aren't a resident, and no way to ship it to yourself, I don't know. Long guns would be different, as it depends on the state you are in, and a resident of. Some interstate transfers are allowed for long guns, again, it depends on the states involved. The 2nd FFL cannot just hand over the firearms to you, you must be legal to take possession in that state. (actually any FFL cannot just transfer the gun to you, even if you own it, are a resident, etc. He must do the 4473 and background check, unless it is C&R, then I THINK it's only a 4473, again depending on state or local laws)

Or, you could just buy blackpowder arms at your destination, and depending on the states you are going to, possibly solve that problem. Or use a firearm that was manufactured in 1898 or earlier.

It would probably be much easier, to just take the guns with you, unless you a traveling on a carrier that prohibits it. Military maybe?

IANAL, but my understanding is that you can ship the handgun to yourself at the desired destination via UPS/Fedex since there is no transfer involved. Long guns also apply but can be shipped by the USPS. The way it was explained to me, is that you can ship it to say, a friend or family members house, as long as its addressed to YOU and only opened by YOU.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

From what I have found on the BAFTE's website, I'm gonna say that this doesn't look possible. If I bought a handgun in another state and shipped it to Ohio, I'd be ok, but no shipping of the handgun to another state, and then me picking it up. Too bad.

Due to my current employer and their policies, taking the firearm with me is not a possibility, unless I add in a couple of extra flights.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    dstringf, it is a federal offense to ship a firearm to someone who is not a FFL dealer
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    IANAL, but my understanding is that you can ship the handgun to yourself at the desired destination via UPS/Fedex since there is no transfer involved.
    That is correct.

You can ship it to yourself.

it is a federal offense to ship a firearm to someone who is not a FFL dealer
    Unless you ship a gun that you own to yourself at a different location.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

So, unless you know somebody on the other end that would/could accept shipment, it won't work. (I think the FFLs have their own regs regarding accepting firearms, in that they must "log them in")

You havent' told us where you are going, but places to think about: A small sheriff's office, NRA connections, hunting club/outfitters, range that isn't an FFL, VFW, etc.

Or......find a Bass Pro, Cableas or similar sporting outlet and just go purchase an 1858 Remington replica if you absolutely must have some protection. Wild Bill carried 2 (his were Navys), and he went to some purty salty places!

Safe journey to you sir!

I've got an 1851 Navy replica (Which is what Wild Bill Carried), don't think I want to depend on percussion caps for self protection.

Hotguns, if I understand what you are saying, say I have family in the state I am starting my trek at (I do), I could ship it to myself in care of them? As long as I am the one who opens the package.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Yep.

It's legal because no transfer is taking place. Since you've alread done the 4473 form and its not changing hands, the law allows this as an exemption.

Dont take my word for it though. Just google "Can I ship my firearm to myself" or lookup ATF regulations. Be advised, it can be confusing. Most people are working off of assumptions, go to the ATF regs for the actual law..just to cover your butt.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You can ship it to yourself.

Unless you ship a gun that you own to yourself at a different location.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10

Thank you for clearing that up, saves me doing it.

To the OP, can you rearrange your road trip timing or is this going to be a one time opportunity? Have you looked into less than lethal options like OC, knife, taser, etc.? That patchwork of laws is just as bad, but the info is out there if you hunt for it and want to try to make that work. I'm pretty sure handgunlaws.us has a reference for less than lethals. Keep your SA up, be smart about where you are and what you do and you'll keep your risk at a relative minimum.

Glock Certified Armorer

Hotguns, I still have a while before this happens, this thread was to start trying to find sources from people more knowledgeable than me, so I'll be researching it for the next few months, but thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Canav, I always have the non-firearm stuff covered pretty well, and will be able to at least have the weapon in my vehicle under peaceable journey laws, and then with me when I stop for nights. This is a one time opportunity, it will be during a transition between jobs, and I have almost no control over the timing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Anything to help a major league infidel.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Anything to help a major league infidel.
    I get paid for it, and travel for it, that means its like the major leagues, right?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links