Feed Jams on H&K USPc .40 - Page 2

Feed Jams on H&K USPc .40

This is a discussion on Feed Jams on H&K USPc .40 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may be unrelated to your problem, but one of our officers was involved in a shooting incident where he used a USP Compact .40. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feed Jams on H&K USPc .40

USP Compacts

This may be unrelated to your problem, but one of our officers was involved in a shooting incident where he used a USP Compact .40. After the first or second round he fired, the weapon malfunctioned and he could not clear it.

Later investigation revealed that the "slide stop" had worked its way loose (just enough to slip inside the right side of the frame) and cause the gun to jam. Since it was dark, he could not visually tell that the slide stop had worked its way out. Further test on the weapon revealed that it was regularly doing this, most commonly when he had the weapon canted down to the left. (but also when perfectly vertical)

We checked and found that there have been numerous incident of the same nature with other shooters and departments. Our dept. banned the use of the Compact's until the issue is resolved with H & K. The company refuses to acknowledge the problem. The "Full Size" USP's do not have this problem, only the Compact's. Your problem could be nothing more than a faulty "slide stop", or possibly an incorrect recoil spring tension.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    +1 on the recoil spring.
    It sounds like it is jamming right at the point where the most tension is required to chamber the round, the transition from mag to chamber. Try the recoil spring change first, then check the slide stop.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Good call, guys. I'm gonna look at my gun and see.

popo22, I assume the officer was unharmed!!!! I'd hate to think an H&K's jamming would not contribute to the injury of an officer. That's weird that HK wouldn't even awknowledge the problem.

---------------------
    I've discovered the exact point where it seems to jam:
    When the slide comes back forward, the round seems to FTF when the hammer resets. But when the slide comes back the hammer drops further to allow the slide to travel across the flat plate of the hammer. Once the slide comes back forward, the gun seems to jam right at the point where the hammer resets to its "ready to fire" double-action position. I'm not sure if this is the spring, but it doesn't seem to be a function of the slide stop.

I appreciate the input either way. Its better to have a heads-up about this stuff than to never know. Anyone have any new ideas or have I established that this is definitely my problem.
    Last edited by SixBravo; July 22nd, 2006 at 03:03 PM.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    You might check out hkpro.com forums. Someone may have some info that could help diagnose and fix this problem.

Damned slick idea. Thanks.

-------------------

Just checked it out. LOL There's no technical support side. haha That says something. I'm gonna keep lookin anyhow.

Unharmed

SixBravo,...no, the officer was not harmed in the incident, fortunately the suspect was not a very good shot.

I had 2 H & K Compacts when I was in "OCU" and they worked like clockwork, never a single issue. Hope you get your running smoothly soon.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

When I was up at the range yesterday shootin the SKS, I took the HK. BAAAAAAD news. Got a FTF with my CARRY ammo (Speer Gold Dot). Looks like a new spring. Gonna be without a carry for awhile. :(
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links