Ruger SR40 Opinions

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40 Opinions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Considering a Ruger SR40. Thoughts, caveats andgeneral opinions? I've been looking for something in .40 and ran across a new SR40 for $389.00 NIB. Any ...

Thread: Ruger SR40 Opinions

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Ruger SR40 Opinions

Considering a Ruger SR40. Thoughts, caveats andgeneral opinions? I've been looking for something in .40 and ran across a new SR40 for $389.00 NIB.

Any and all input appreciated!

D~
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

ntg
    The new triggers on the SRs are fairly good. The reports are saying the SR40 is one of the softest recoils they've ever shot. Here's one of the reports: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR40.htm. I know I've read one other somewhere that I can't recall right now. That said, I've never shot it. I've shot the "improved" trigger on the SR9c and liked it quite a bit.

I think it would be an excellent choice. My two cents.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and love it.... I don't think you can go wrong buying one. Can't wait for the SR40c

I have not shot one, but I have handled one in my LGS and the ergos are great. Ruger is a top notch manufacturer with quality products and great CS. I have shot the SR9c and it's a smooth and accurate shooter. I have 3 Ruger handguns and my experience is they are reliable, durable, and a trustworthy company. I would be very confident in the product if it fits your hand, eye, and needs. All of the reviews I've read on it have been very favorable. I can't wait for one of my buddies to buy one so I can shoot it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds like a great price. I've only read reviews but look forward to having the opportunity to shoot one. I would be more interested in an SR40c though.

crap 389? Wish mine was that cheap mine was 429 when i bought it and that was on sale. I've put around 100 rounds through it and for having never owned a 40 I really was expecting more recoil from the gun. Half the time I think I'm shooting a 9mm. Last I checked no one had SR40 holsters listed but mine fits great in my don hume p345 holster so if you do decide to get it and want to carry it and can't find holsters for it yet it fits in the p345 ones. The only problems/gripes I have with the SR40, and sadly it seems most Rugers now a days, is the stupid magazine disconnect (although pretty easy to remove just go on youtube and it the videos that show how to do it on an SR9 work), the loaded chamber indicator (i'll figure out how to remove that one day), and all the warnings written all over the gun. Other than that it is a Ruger it'll go bang every time and I like it

I purchased a Ruger SR40 in early November. Since that time, I have put about 200 rounds downrange with it, with reasonable accuracy (for the 1st time out). I have had no problems... zilch... with the pistol. It just works. The fit and finish of the pistol is very good. I like the feel of the pistol in my hands, quite comfortable. I thought that the recoil was quite manageable, similar to a 9mm. There have been reports of "grittiness" in the trigger. I have not found that to be the case with mine, it is smooth.

I did a field strip, clean, lube on it (including the striker chamber assembly), before going to the range. I am looking forward to my next range trip.

OK... Bit the bullit. My SR40 should be here 12/27/2010. I looked at a lot of other pistols and decided on this.

Thanks for all your input and Happy Holidays
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

ntg
    Diddle, We want a report after you get it!

FWIW, I had a chance to fondle one last Thursday. The trigger was decent but felt a little gritty. Some say that it just needs cleaning, and I've heard they smooth out after some firing. You can't beat the price on these hardly.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I've handled a few of them, and generally felt they had quality fit and finish, excellent ergonomics. But the triggers were not to my liking. Could be they smooth out over time...I've never handled one that's seen some range time. Corners seemed a bit sharp for carry.

The trigger is infact a bit grity. The travel seems quiet short though. On the other hand, I have been shooting revolvers for the last 12 or so months where an inch of travel is normal. I have not had a chance to do some shooting - I'll get a range report in ASAP. The pistol came dripping with oil and needs more than the initial cleaning. I guess someone had a severe fear of rust...

024.jpg
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Nice Price... Bought mine between Thanksgiving & Christmas (2012) at gun show for 399.00 and i thought i had a bargain. Really, really like it. So far i have shot about 600 rnds through it. Last time out i was shooting Winchester bargain target ammo and got about 4-5 stove pipes.... eventually i will find the right ammo to use. right now 40 cal S&W is hard to find in my area.

Links