My Amazing Brand New 42 year old .22 rimfire Rifle

This is a discussion on My Amazing Brand New 42 year old .22 rimfire Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased a rifle that I lusted after as a young teenager back in the 1960's. My Dad had bought me one of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Amazing Brand New 42 year old .22 rimfire Rifle

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

My Amazing Brand New 42 year old .22 rimfire Rifle

I just purchased a rifle that I lusted after as a young teenager back in the 1960's. My Dad had bought me one of the Browning takedown .22 semiauto rifles as a kid to shoot. I used to get the Browning catalogs from our local sporting good store every year, and I would lust after the Browning T-Bolt every year when the new catalog would come out. However, I never got up the nerve to even ask my Dad if he would consider buying one. Sure was a big mistake on my part.

Well, now that I am old, I thought why not see if I can find a T-Bolt in great shape to buy. After all, doesn't a old saying indicate "Better Late Than Never"??

So I've been keeping my eye out this year for one of the original Browning T-Bolts to buy. I've been tempted several times, but kept holding out to see if could find something really special. Well, after a long search, I finally did!

I stumbled on an auction on Gunbroker.com from a dealer that specializes in selling high end Browning and Weatherby firearms. An avid Browning gun collector had recently past away, and his family placed his collection with this dealer.

Wow, was that man ever a serious Browning collector!! He had so many awesome guns, including several absolutely gorgeous 60's era Browning Medallion Grade Hi Power bolt action rifles. They were way out of sight in price, though, so I did not even consider bidding on them.

But there, mingled in with all of these other Brownings, was an absolutely drop dead gorgeous T-Bolt. In fact, I've never seen any T-Bolt with as handsome a stock as this rifle has. The figuring in the French Walnut is unbelievable. What was just as amazing, was the fact that the gun appeared to be in like new condition, as if it had just been taken out of the box for the first time.

Well, I won the bidding for the rifle, after out-biding one competitor who did not want it as badly as I did. Today the rifle arrived, and I could not be more impressed. The chamber is still blued! The rifle appears to be unfired! In addition, I see no indications at all that a scope has ever been mounted on it. No marks of any kind! This rifle I got is a T-2 Deluxe, with no iron sights. Most T-Bolt's shipped with nice peep style iron sights. However, I am a scope man, and I thus wanted this no sights configuration, which is actually rather hard to find, making this rifle even more rare.

The trigger on the gun is so light too. Far better than I had anticipated.

Should I despoil this gun, and put a scope on it, and enjoy shooting it, fullfilling my boyhood dream? Or should I leave this 42 year old rifle in its current virgin state, for my heirs to perhaps shoot one day?

What would you do? I did not anticipate that it would be in quite such pristine condition. Should I go ahead and shoot it and find out how accurate it is? Should I even take it out into the field and kill a few squirrels with it next year?

It is dark tonight and I took these photos just using my Nikon SB-900 flash for lighting. I think that the gun might look even more impressive in natural lighting. It is really something to behold and handle in person.

What would you do, if you owned this .22 ??

Here it is:

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, now that I am old......
    OLD!? You can't be more than 25 years old. Right?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    OLD!? You can't be more than 25 years old. Right?
    My hair is completely white, what is left of it. My son is 25 years old, though.

My Dad and both of my uncles ( all past on now ) served in WWII. Two of my cousins ( 2nd and 3rd cousins ) have won national shooting titles at Camp Perry, back in the 40's and 60's.

I'll be. Welcome to the old man club, tho mine ain't completely white.

Sorry about the hijack...

Beautiful rifle.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I posted a photo once with my son with both of us showing off our matching SIG .45 pistols at a range together. My pot belly, suspenders, and white hair were all readily visible.

However, I had my finger on the trigger of my SIG, so I got roasted pretty bad. I'm sure that some on this website will remember the post.

No way that I will post a link to it again, though, after getting so harshly lambasted for my naughty finger.

Beautiful rifle. Tough call. I'm not much on safe queens, but depending on how much you had to give for it and the fact that I've got other 22s to shoot it would be tough to crack the seal on it. Since it doesn't have any sights, accuracy without a scope may be difficult. I'd probably just leave it as it is for a while...the itch may get to me over time though. Nice buy!!!

This summer I bought a rifle just like my boyhood 22, it's a 1948 Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 in very good condition (not like new) and I got it for half the price I'd seen them going for anywhere. Snatched it up, sighted in the old iron sights, and have been having a ton of fun with it. Here it is:

DSC01079.JPGDSC01078.JPG

I sold mine in my 20s like an idiot and regretted it ever since...there's something really cool about these things coming to fruition with time and age. Congratulations on your realization.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    Very nice. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Very nice! Beautiful stock on that rifle, congrats.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Very nice rifle. Congrats.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Congratulations on finding a mint gun and finally fulfiling your "lust".

When I was a kid I remember drooling over a gun magazine that listed M1 Carbines for about $25 bucks each. $25 was BIG money back then and I never got one. Several years ago I bought one (more than $25 !!!), and since then I've bought two more.

I too finally fulfilled that desire I had. Those desires are apparently deeply embedded somewhow.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have always thought that if you are going to have a fancy rifle it should be a 22. Scope it. Shoot it. Enjoy it. You bought the gun to enjoy, not as an investment. If you don't use it and it goes up in value $200 in ten years, so what. You will get way more enjoyment out of that sweet little gun if you use it. Yes it is looker. Awesome wood!
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    beautiful wood on that peice...congratulations...

Treat it good and take care to not abuse it, but I would mount a scope and shoot that little beauty. You have waited too long to get your "dream" gun. Fulifill your childhood dream, life is too short. Then pass it on to your heirs. Congrats on finding the gun. It is beautiful. Just not made like that anymore.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Shoot it!! That's what it was made for and will make it more desirable as a hand me down than some safe queen. I inherited a Winchester model 61 that was my grandfathers "tractor gun". Beat up pretty good and the stock was missing. The only thing I did was put a stock on it. This gun would have been worth somewhere around $800 in excellent condition, but in the condition it's in as a collector is worth a small fraction of that now. To me it's priceless because it belonged to my grandfather and went everywhere with him on the tractor around our farm. Moral of the story is shoot and it enjoy it and maybe some day after your long gone someone will appreciate it for the fact that you did also by using it as it was inteneded to be used.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Senior Moderator
    Thats a beautiful rifle and I am glad for you.

Dont let it go to waste. Scope it, treat it well and enjoy every minute of it.

Life is too short to not enjoy the finer things, and this seems to be one of them. Congrats on a fine purchase.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links