Salesperson at range / gun shop made statement expressing cc carry without permit

Salesperson at range / gun shop made statement expressing cc carry without permit

This is a discussion on Salesperson at range / gun shop made statement expressing cc carry without permit within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; MI requires permit to CC. I live in MI. This is not about open carry. I was at a firearm range / shop I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salesperson at range / gun shop made statement expressing cc carry without permit

MI requires permit to CC. I live in MI. This is not about open carry.

I was at a firearm range / shop I have had only top grade interaction from. Last Saturday, I overheard a newer salesperson express that when his friend comes to towm he gives his friend a revolver to cc, even though his friend does not have a cc permit, because they were going to detroit, and it would be stupid to go into detroit unarmed.

The interaction included the couple swinging and waving various firearms around, dry firing, and in general grabbing various pistols always placing their finger on the trigger. Sure unloaded, but still, just failure at every level with the interaction.

I've been thinking about saying something to one of the co-owners, but, the sales person is heavly armed and a few marbles short. I'm known enough at the range that access to my cr card # and address is fairly easy to access. Jobs are hard to find.

Maybe I'm a big coward, but I don't like drawing attention to myself.

I'm think about writing a letter anonymously, simply stating I overheard one of his sales people expressing that sometimes cc without a permit was against the law but an option that should be considered if going someplace dangerous, like detroit. That it was out of character with all the other experiences I had at his two shops, and various CCW instructors he has hired. That I was simply sharing this information because I think he has a good reputation, but an employee who was making statements that at the very least creating a poor image.

Thoughts? As at this point, I'm at the let sleeping dog's lie state, but I believe the shop owners are honorable people, and I don't want something to hurt their business.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I would be more concerned with their gun handlling than whether they cc without a permit. This might be worth mentioning, especially if observed again.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    IMO accusing a person (anonymously or not) is something very serious and it should not be done unless you are totally sure about it, and can/are willing to stand 100% behind what you say. Personally, I strongly dislike anonymous letters. Are you sure that the man was not just talking nonsense? Now about how he handled the firearms; if I considered that the way he did it was not safe then I perhaps should talk to the owner.
    Last edited by GM; December 4th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Do you have other gun stores/ranges you can go to?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Is this the same idiot that required you to show your CC permit in the other thread? Give me a break. By the sounds of this place, I'd be looking for another place to go shoot and leave this one in my dust.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    MI requires permit to CC. I live in MI. This is not about open carry.

I was at a firearm range / shop I have had only top grade interaction from. Last Saturday, I overheard a newer salesperson express that when his friend comes to towm he gives his friend a revolver to cc, even though his friend does not have a cc permit, because they were going to detroit, and it would be stupid to go into detroit unarmed.

The interaction included the couple swinging and waving various firearms around, dry firing, and in general grabbing various pistols always placing their finger on the trigger. Sure unloaded, but still, just failure at every level with the interaction.

I've been thinking about saying something to one of the co-owners, but, the sales person is heavly armed and a few marbles short. I'm known enough at the range that access to my cr card # and address is fairly easy to access. Jobs are hard to find.

Maybe I'm a big coward, but I don't like drawing attention to myself.

I'm think about writing a letter anonymously, simply stating I overheard one of his sales people expressing that sometimes cc without a permit was against the law but an option that should be considered if going someplace dangerous, like detroit. That it was out of character with all the other experiences I had at his two shops, and various CCW instructors he has hired. That I was simply sharing this information because I think he has a good reputation, but an employee who was making statements that at the very least creating a poor image.

Thoughts? As at this point, I'm at the let sleeping dog's lie state, but I believe the shop owners are honorable people, and I don't want something to hurt their business.
    You know? Good reasons I never like to get too far away from home. Every time I do....I seem to experience the things I don't like about society as a whole. Happens almost every day for me. I find solace here on the forum. I witness more idiots behind the wheel every day that I'll see in a lifetime or idiots at the range. Perspective. Do what you have to do and don't worry about what others will think when you're right. Had my fill of idgets myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I'm think about writing a letter anonymously, simply stating I overheard one of his sales people expressing that sometimes cc without a permit was against the law but an option that should be considered if going someplace dangerous, like detroit.
    Anonymous complaints or even simple observations will never get my attention. Stand up for what you believe in, or just take your business elsewhere. If nothing else, advise management that their staff should never, ever advocate any illegal behavior.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Any topics about Concealed Carry should be posted in the Concealed Carry Issues and Discussion forum.

This forum is for talking about firearms.

You should try to be more careful in the future, to post in a forum that is relevant to the topic that you are talking about.

I'd love to know which range, because I used to work at one in Michigan.

Not saying that giving someone bad legal advice is a good idea at all, but more than likely that person wasn't given any instruction before going out onto the sales floor. And you'd be surprised as to how many of my customers shared the same reasoning as the sales person you mentioned above. Sure it's illegal, but some of my customers would prefer to end up in jail rather than a box.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Anonymous complaints or even simple observations will never get my attention. Stand up for what you believe in, or just take your business elsewhere. If nothing else, advise management that their staff should never, ever advocate any illegal behavior.
    Exactly. Saved me the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would be more concerned with their gun handlling than whether they cc without a permit. This might be worth mentioning, especially if observed again.
    Ditto

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Any topics about Concealed Carry should be posted in the Concealed Carry Issues and Discussion forum.

You should try to be more careful in the future, to post in a forum that is relevant to the topic that you are talking about.

Please read the forum description:

General Firearm Discussion
    The place for general firearms and shooting discussions that may not fit well in the forums focusing on concealed carry.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

There is nothing wrong with violating an unjust law and I think having to buy a permit to exercise a basic right falls under that category. Don't be mad at him when he has the guts to do what most of us don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Anonymous complaints or even simple observations will never get my attention. Stand up for what you believe in, or just take your business elsewhere. If nothing else, advise management that their staff should never, ever advocate any illegal behavior."

Anonymous complaints reek of first-graders tattling via a note left on the teacher's desk. If you have an issue, tell the individual or bring it to the owner's/manager's attention.

If someone wishes to place themselves in legal jeopary by illegally CC'ing, and it has no direct effect on me, that's their business--not mine. Likewise, if someone wants to whiz past me at 90mph, I let the cops do the worrying and "advising." My plate is full enough without taking on someone else's leftovers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

The Op has the correct forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Please read the forum description:

General Firearm Discussion
    The place for general firearms and shooting discussions that may not fit well in the forums focusing on concealed carry.”
    +100

I would either take the employee to the side and explain that you over heard him taking last week about giving a firearm to somebody you was not licensed to do so. Does he realize how much he is stick his neck out for his friend? He is willing to lose his house, bank account and possible jail time so his friend can carry illegally. I wonder if the gun was one of his personal guns or did he give out a rental that the owner of the shop may not know is missing. That would be a major liability to the owner of the shop or I would speak to the owner on the employees day off it you are worried about the employee flying off the handle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links