Reloading Questions...

Reloading Questions...

This is a discussion on Reloading Questions... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello All, I just ordered a Lee deluxe 4 hole turret press and a set of carbide 9mm dies... I have never reloaded before, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Questions...

Reloading Questions...

Hello All,

I just ordered a Lee deluxe 4 hole turret press and a set of carbide 9mm dies... I have never reloaded before, and have been doing tons of research before I even think about actually starting to reload. However, I was wondering what brand of powder, bullets, primers, etc. do you like to use...? The reason I ask, is because I'm getting ready to purchase these items, and was wondering what you guys recommend! Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Get a couple of reloading Manuela and look at the type of loads you wish to assemble and choose those componets.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Get a couple of reloading Manuals and look at the type of loads you wish to assemble and choose those components.
    Exactly. With pistol caliber reloading, you'll be less strung out on components compared to rifle caliber reloading. Find one powder that will do best for a broad range of loads and bullet weights as listed in the manual(s), and the most available primer, then buy them in bulk. Reloading for pistol is more of a bulk process anyway.

Winchester 231 is a very good all-around handgun powder. That is the powder I started with, and I've tried lots others, but for most loads, I still keep coming back to it.

With Lee equipment, CCI, Wincester, or Remington primers are best. Cast bullets are a bit more dirty to shoot, but are the most economical.

If you are just getting started, I would HIGHLY recommend Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, (the red 1st ed. is ok too) it has lots of info for beginners. You can get all the reloading data you need, at the powder companies' websites for free. Lee's book also includes this same information, but organizes it so it's easy to use.

Good Luck! (you know--reloading can be as addictive as shooting)

PS: really watch your OAL on 9mm Luger. Don't go any shorter than recommended, as just a little bit can make a big difference in pressure. (as long as it will chamber, Longer is ok, as it will be less pressure) If you don't have a set of calipers, get some. (about $20 from HF or Midway)

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    really watch your OAL on 9mm Luger. Don't go any shorter than recommended, as just a little bit can make a big difference in pressure. (as long as it will chamber, Longer is ok, as it will be less pressure) If you don't have a set of calipers, get some. (about $20 from HF or Midway)
    Another good point. Calipers, gauges, and a good scale need to be part of your setup.

WW Power Pistol and WW primers work well in the 9MM from mild to wild with all bullet weights and brands. As recommended follow published data.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Berry's Bullets are good for pistol target practice. They're cheap and the only limiting factor is velocity has to stay below 1100/1200 fps, which is probably the velocity you'll be loading them at anyway. I think you get the most rounds assembled wrt powder for the least cost with Unique, but each round only takes about 4.5 - 5 grains and there's 7000 grains in a pound of powder (about 1400 rounds) so cost of powder isn't too big a deal. Instead of buying a bunch of manuals, get one and a video - some learn better visually.

Most important - just get started, trust me it's a whole new fun hobby to get into.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Use any small pistol primers you like. I've always mixed primers without issues. If you into ultra-precision target shooting or think loading to the max is important and the way to go, you might get picky enough to use one brand only. Low- to mid-range loads aren't going to be affected by brand name.

Choice of powders is up to you. Figure out what you intend to load for (mild paper-punching loads, heavy SD loads, etc.) and pick a powder that best suits that purpose. Many manuals are available, and most powder companies offer load data on thier websites.

I use Hodgdons HP-38 (which is the same as WW 231 and cheaper) for my .45 ACP and 9mm Makarov loads. It would probably be a good powder for 9mm Luger also. A box of .45 230 grain LRN reloads runs me about $9.50, less than half what retail prices run.

Start out with FMJ bullets. They tend to feed better, and it might take you a few tries to get the load you want working well. Once you've got the hang of it, introduce HPs or lead as you see fit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Berry's Bullets are good for pistol target practice. They're cheap and the only limiting factor is velocity has to stay below 1100/1200 fps, which is probably the velocity you'll be loading them at anyway. I think you get the most rounds assembled wrt powder for the least cost with Unique, but each round only takes about 4.5 - 5 grains and there's 7000 grains in a pound of powder (about 1400 rounds) so cost of powder isn't too big a deal. Instead of buying a bunch of manuals, get one and a video - some learn better visually.

Most important - just get started, trust me it's a whole new fun hobby to get into.
    A second vote for Berry's. I have not used them in 9 but my .45's work great on their 200 gr. FP's.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I use CCI primers and HP-38 (same as W-231). The reason for the CCI primers is that's what my local dealer carries. I have useed Remington/Winchester primers in the past, they have worked just as well. Point being use what you can find I haven't heard anything bad about anybody's primers. I use the HP-38/W231 because it works fine in all of my pistol calibres, I'm currently loading 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

As a beginner I'd start with a powder that's hard to double charge as someone stated Unique is versitile & inexspencive JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I use mostly Alliant powders, as far as bullets, if your ging to use the reloads as SD, you should practice with what you carry. I have looked at many brands of bullets both lead and jacketed, I buy Montanna Gold JHP in 4 different cals. they are slightly more than lead but easer to load and cleaner to shoot. With the scale you should also have check weights to verify your scale accuracy. I use a Lee 4 hole also, good machine, I have over 10k rounds loaded with no problems. Read a reloading manual 2 or 3 times before you start loading, go online and get loading data from powder and bullet manfs.. Load small batches and try them. Enjoy shooting

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Some good advice here. Read, read, read and then read some more. Personally, I started with Titegroup and use it for most pistol applications (.45 ACP, .357 mag.; .38). As the bottle states, "A little goes a long way." At 5.0 grains per round in .45 ACP, I get 1,400 rounds per pound. My primers have varied between Winchester, CCI and Remington and I've had no issues with any of them. As for projectiles, you'll have to experiment to find what feeds in YOUR pistol. Not all projectiles are created equal.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I also see that you have a Glock avatar. If you reloading for a Glock, and are using the original barrel, I personally wouldn't probably reload those cases more than a couple times, unless you are using very low loads. Maybe that's overly cautious, but there is a very large area of the case that the Glock barrel/chamber doesn't support. (that's why they feed so reliably) Add in the fact that 9mm Luger is a "high" pressure cartridge, and it can strain that brass at the base.

Just my opinion, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe others here would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I also see that you have a Glock avatar. If you reloading for a Glock, and are using the original barrel, I personally wouldn't probably reload those cases more than a couple times, unless you are using very low loads. Maybe that's overly cautious, but there is a very large area of the case that the Glock barrel/chamber doesn't support. (that's why they feed so reliably) Add in the fact that 9mm Luger is a "high" pressure cartridge, and it can strain that brass at the base.

Just my opinion, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe others here would disagree.
    Reloads are not recommended with OEM Glock pistols. Aftermarket barrels are another story. I've known of a few competitive shooters that shoot reloads in their 9mm factory Glock pistols, but they do load them lightly. As for whether or not their loads would test out for minimum power requirements may be questionable. Our local matches, although USPSA sanctioned seldom have a testing facility set up.
    Years ago, I had a blow out in my G17 using factory reloaded ammo (Enforcer). Ruptured case that blew the magazine out of the pistol and burned the top of my strong hand where the magazine release cut is.
    You'll find no disagreement here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links