Tell me about black powder rifles

This is a discussion on Tell me about black powder rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My black power expertise is rather limited. I have shot a black powder rifle once in my life. I do own a replica 1851 Navy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about black powder rifles

My black power expertise is rather limited. I have shot a black powder rifle once in my life. I do own a replica 1851 Navy revolver, so I have a little bit of experience with black powder from that. But I know very little about the rifles. But it seems that Traditions, CVA and TC all make rifles that are really affordable, and could provide me a new way to get some more deer hunting time.

So, what kind of features are desireable these days? As much as I would love a Kentucky long rifle replica, I think I would rather start with something simpler and more modern. Thanks for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    You can't beat a "rock" gun if you are going to play with black powder. The bad news is the good flintlocks are expensive! I do RevWar reenacting and own 3, one cheap one and two good ones.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Try to get an inline that either breaks open or opens easily to access the breech plug. If there are lots of moving parts, they will be a real hassle to remove when cleaning. If you can swing the money go for stainless steel. It does not corrode the barrel as easily. However, even with SS I made the mistake of letting it sit after shooting on during ML season. By the time I got to cleaning it there were some pits starting. GRRR. I have a Remington Genesis that I am happy with. When you start shooting, go with the pyrodex pellets or similar. I'm getting ready to move away from sabots and use the Powerbelt bullets that mount on the plastic belts.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    You can't beat a "rock" gun if you are going to play with black powder. The bad news is the good flintlocks are expensive! I do RevWar reenacting and own 3, one cheap one and two good ones.
    I think for a start I'm going to go with something more modern. But I am a huge military history guy, and eventually would like at least replicas of early American arms, like the Kentucky long rifle.

I use the Pyrodex pellets when I take the 1851 out, I like it, a lot less for me to screw up that with the actual powder. I guess I am looking more at like the Traditions Buckstalker, or CVA Optima lines, since they seem reasonably priced in my gun store's ad this month.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Why bother with BP if you are going modern? Of course each his own, but the modern inlines that use optics and have accuracy capabilities at 200 yards hardly seem to be in keeping with the BP season, which was started to allow hunters to experience hunting within the limitations of the early pioneers. Might as well use a regular firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Why bother with BP if you are going modern? Of course each his own, but the modern inlines that use optics and have accuracy capabilities at 200 yards hardly seem to be in keeping with the BP season, which was started to allow hunters to experience hunting within the limitations of the early pioneers. Might as well use a regular firearm.
    Part of it is because it would give me a longer deer season for when I can finally start doing that again after the service. It just seems like it could be a little bit more of a challenge as well. I have plenty of rifles and shotguns I could use in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. But I like trying new things.

And guns are kind of like ice cream flavors, usually you want to try out just about all of them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lol, just look over me. I seem to do everything the hard way. Open sighted revolvers for deer, recurve for archery, and caplock hawkens and patched ball for BP. I'm not sure if I'm all there or not, but definately have alot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Lol, just look over me. I seem to do everything the hard way. Open sighted revolvers for deer, recurve for archery, and caplock hawkens and patched ball for BP. I'm not sure if I'm all there or not, but definately have alot of fun!
    To each his own, nothing wrong with adding more of a challenge. Like I said, I've missed the past few years, but want to try for deer with some of my more unusual firearms, like my Stoeger Coachgun, or some of my revolvers. (And making sure I am still ethical of course). Just because I would sit a few hundred meters away with a scoped .308 doesn't mean I'd have the most fun like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your choice, whatever it is, I just like doing things the hard way.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My CVA frontier .50 uses BP, cap, ball and patch. What a pain to shoot. But that cloud of stinky smoke is a blast! I'm not impressed with the "modern" BP guns. I don't see any challenge to them. Might as well but a Rem 700 and hunt.

But if one wants that type, there's a whole bunch out there from which to select. Pellet powder, shotgun primer, sabot projectile, and mega-scope. Just can't get anymore primitive than that!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I can't remember the nomenclature, but Savage came out with one that uses BP, or smokeless. If I was goin modern, that one would be cool. Best of both worlds!

Whatever floats your boat. I've got an Investarms (Cabelas) .50 cal Hawken cap lock and its a hoot.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cap and ball is the way to go in my book. CVA Hawken is a great start. My dad started using the in-lines this year. They are nice and are very accurate, but it's not the same as a round ball and the pride of harvesting a deer with one. 100 yard shot with open sights gets your heart pumping again. I'm with Glockman, I do things the hard way as well. Still shoot a recurve during bow season and hunt geese with a 20 gauge. I like flint lock, but after missing deer because my flash pan got wet in the corn, I went back to cap and ball. I still hunt rifle season with a Remington
    700, but I do it from 300 yds (+) so there is some challenge.

Have fun and be safe.

"[Cap and ball is the way to go in my book]"
    Agree 100% they are accurate and I harvested a slough of deer with a T/C New Englander I had sence '92, Deffently a good gun IMO ; )PS Took a nice Cow Horn Spike 11" good curves
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...3ef0f3d36cf1c5

I'd really like one of those, I think it would be cool to stalk through the woods with one.

For years I have wanted to get one of these: http://www.basspro.com/Traditions%E2...94879/-1329267

And build it myself, however, liking in a barracks is not conducive to such an undertaking, nor do I have a fireplace in my barracks room to put it over as a show off piece.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links