S&W 640: .357 or .38?

This is a discussion on S&W 640: .357 or .38? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the range yesterday, a guy told me I should never shoot 357mag in my 640 because it will "loosen it." What exactly did he ...

Thread: S&W 640: .357 or .38?

S&W 640: .357 or .38?

At the range yesterday, a guy told me I should never shoot 357mag in my 640 because it will "loosen it." What exactly did he mean and why would it say .357 on the barrel if it couldn't handle it? Part of what I like about revolvers is they seem like they will be around for grandchildren to shoot one day (30-40 yrs down the road). Is it wise to only shoot 38+p in the 640 and .38 in the 642?

2. Remove Ads

If it is marked for .357 shoot it. If it "loosens" Smith and Wesson warrants their product for life...dont listen to a gun range commando.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^
    Ditto. It's designed to shoot the .357 Mag. Let 'er rip.

You might want to shoot .38s for practice, but keep in mind that crud can build up the chamber in front of the shorter .38 case and make it difficult to seat the .357 cases in the chamber. A good scrubbing will take care of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    It will stand up to .357 use long after you are gone.

His opinion is a bargain at twice the price. Show up with a handgun, or a Harley, and the "ya know what you need to do?s" come slithering out. By his theory, my 640 should be junk.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I miss my 640.

It was a great BlackJack ...dam, you could hurt someone with that gun.

Oh, yeah. And it shot nice with .357 magnum too...but did I mention what a great impact weapon it was? Kinda like hitting someone with the head of an axe...

Sigh...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    That must be the dumbest thing I've heard. Don't shoot your revolver that is chambered for .357 Magnum because it will loosen up? HAHAHAHAHA!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I lost mind to a nagging friend that wore me down, enjoy your 640 JTM it's a keeper and when somebody starts liking it, put it away lol.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

There's always the "experts" that offer their "free" advice. We had a guy at the range once come up and show my husband how to shoot one of his large caliber safari rifles. I can't remember now but it was either the 458 Lott or the 505 Gibbs. He wanted him to (for a right handed shooter), stick the right elbow into your gut and openly cradle the fore-end of the rifle with the left hand. If the rifle hadn't had such pretty wood, he would have let the guy shoot the thing. It would have jumped right out of his hand and hit him in the head before hitting the ground.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    IMO, I would shoot .38s for practice and .357s for the real deal. I would also shoot .357s if I'm in training.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    IMO, I would shoot .38s for practice and .357s for the real deal. I would also shoot .357s if I'm in training.
    I agree with this. The gun is obviously designed to take the .357 load, but why go with the extra frame-wear, stress on your hand, expense, and potential of building bad recoil habits? I shoot the full-bore .357 loads in my 686 sometimes, but usually it's .38 specials that go to the range with me.

It will loosen it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That guy has no clue what he is talking about. Any magnum round puts more stress on the gun due to extreme pressure but a gun that is designed to shoot a certain caliber, should be built to handle it. The cylinder walls and several other parts are made thicker and with better(stronger blend) materials so they can handle the added pressure of the magnum rounds. I think shooting 38 when practicing is a good idea but it will hold up just fine with the use of the 357 rounds.

Links