Help Bringing a Gun Club into the Internet/Digital Age

This is a discussion on Help Bringing a Gun Club into the Internet/Digital Age within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I thought you all would be a great resource as many of you are members of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I thought you all would be a great resource as many of you are members of a gun club(s). I'm the unofficial communications guy for my gun club. We've got a current President that wants to move the board, etc ahead in part to attract more young members. The vast majority right now are folks that are 50 yrs plus, and there's nothing wrong with that btw. I really learn a lot from them. However, we need to have a diverse population for many reasons including long term existence.

Anyway, we need to get into the modern age as far as notifying our members of events, sending newsletters, posting scores, etc. What we do right now is a bit old fashion. So I want pointers, links of your websites, or whatever may help.

I want to see us have an updated website (our current one is embarrassing), with links to other social type sites (facebook, etc.) and a much easier way to communicate than the snail mail/emails we're using right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

If i was to start I would set up an organization gmail account. From here you got google calendar which you can make a calendar of events and open it to be viewed by all members. Then you go a member email list. Next I would make a FB page or group for the club. Here you can post photos, scores, newsletters ect. Next would be the website, remember to reference FB page to website and vice versa. You can make a website yourself or there is programs to make it, it all depends on what you want. Some of it is a you get what you pay for thing. It doesn't need to be like this, its located in Manhattan http://www.westsidepistolrange.com/hours.php
    Last edited by AlexHassin; December 8th, 2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

I agree with Alex, Google and Facebook are definitely the way to go. Google also offers Google Sites and allow you to register a domain name for around $10/yr. The rest is up to you to provide content, whether on FB or your G site.

You're welcome to take a look at our club's website, www.sirwaltergunclub.com, which, while it isn't the latest and greatest, incorporates Google Calendar and Maps.

Good luck in your endeavour and post a link to your website. I promise not to laugh and may be able to make some specific suggestions.

Let me be the first to say my own spelling is terrible. If you have a web site that allows posting by it members please have spell check.

Thanks for the info. I've used google for a personal account for years, but never looked in to it for group purposes. I'd be interested in knowing the how you get google calendar incorporated into website, NCgundude. I'm fairly green to website design, etc. and was looking at some of the online DYI type options. We have a domain name (cedarhillsgunclub.org), but I'm thinking we'll probably move it from it's current host once we get a new site as the one we have isn't great. The board is willing to pay to have it done, but think we don't have to go there to get what we need.

Thanks again...keep the ideas coming.

You should use Firefox HK, it has a spell-checker built in.

NTG, I work in the computer industry and have a lot of experience with websites. Alex has some good points for starters but if you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a private message and I'll see what I can do to help.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

You're fortunate that your board is interested in this.

I manage the FaceBook profile page for my gun club, the Palmetto Gun Club. I originally had a FanPage for PGC...but was continually frustrated by the lack of two key functions...the ability to send people a friend request and the ability to tag your organization in people's photos.

FanPages are linked to your personal profile...so the closest thing you have to friending people is sending those people a FanPage suggestion from your personal profile...which sucks.

And there is no ability to tag yourself...or even for other people to tag you...in photos.

It is those two key functions that provide me with the greatest marketing capability. I've read through so many FaceBook forum threads from people screaming at FaceBook to provide both of these functions to FanPages...hasn't happened yet.

I was reluctant to give up the PGC FanPage because I already had 59 Fans...and it took a while to get that up. But once I made the shift to a profile, I doubled that in no time.

Every time I tag people in pictures...I find I immediately get two or three friend requests because people see their friends getting tagged in my photos. And every time I run across pictures people have taken at the PGC range, I tag PGC somewhere in the picture and that always turns into a few friend requests...I love it.

You actually have to kind of trick the automated system to do it. Something like first name: Palmetto and last name: Gun Club...will trip the system. So you have to do something like combine words...Palmetto GunClub.

http://www.facebook.com/palmettogunclub843
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Does anyone have any experience with:

http://web.clubrunner.ca/Home

Just courious. Thanks.

Any recommendations for a good, free/lowcost webpage design software? A good number of years ago I used frontpage for basic stuff and did a little with dreamweaver, but I don't know HTML or some of the newer. Thanks for any help or suggestion.

I didn't catch if you already had a website. Little micro-sites of the type you are talking about can be cobbled together on http://wordpress.org/ which is an online tool for making little websites. There are some very gifted amateurs who specialize in making websites on WordPress and maybe a few of those will step forward. Facebook and stuff like that is cool but it really doesn't help you deliver a message or provide the information people are looking for; it can help with "buzz" for whatever that is worth.

Don't buy Dreamweaver unless you are going to quit your job and go pro. Don't buy Visual Studio unless you plan on making enterprise level web applications. Above all, don't buy the type of crappy "Web Publishing" software that you'll find at Best Buy - not only will you hate it, but if you do manage to make a basic web page with it, you'll have no idea how to get it out on the 'real' internet where it is publicly viewable.

The easiest way is to use WordPress, acquiring the services of a talented amateur.

My lowly opinion.

OK...lance. I appreciate it. I'll look into it.

You might be able to find a freewhere version of what you are looking for. I think apache makes something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    You might be able to find a freewhere version of what you are looking for. I think apache makes something along those lines.
    And that would presume that the person knows to only put his stuff on an Apache Server.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    And that would presume that the person knows to only put his stuff on an Apache Server.
    Good point. Forgot about that. just offering a cheap solution

Yea...I'm fairly novice in some reguards. I did do some simple updating via Front Page a few years ago, and I've seen others use Dreamweaver some, but never attempted to do anything on it myself. I've thought about doing the new club website myself, and I'd probably be best to find a good WYSIWYG software for that purpose. My goal in the end is to have a better web pressence that takes minimal time out of my life as it's full with many other things. The club could greatly benefit from easier, better communications. That is why I've looked at clubrunner and clubexpress as they seem to have many things streamlined. I'm not sure the board will bit off on those however.

Again any input and help is greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links