Quick question about buying guns

This is a discussion on Quick question about buying guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't knowif this is the right place to put this question, but here goes. If I buy a gun from an individual (who is ...

Thread: Quick question about buying guns

Arrow Quick question about buying guns

I don't knowif this is the right place to put this question, but here goes. If I buy a gun from an individual (who is not an FFL dealer) as opposed to a gun shop, what extra procedures do I need to take. I only ask because I know when you buy a gun, they run your background and all that, but I've got a buddy who wants to get rid of his Glock 23 cheaper than I can get it anywhere else. If anyone has any guidance on this it would be much appreciated.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

2. Remove Ads

Eddie:

IIRC, Texas does not have any "private sale" (citizen to citizen or individual to individual) registration requirements or NCIC checks, etc. I would write up a "Bill of Purchase/Sale" for you both to sign, however. I'll take a quick peak elsewhere and let you know........

See:

SECONDARY SALES

Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales? No

No state requirement that criminal background checks be done on people buying firearms at gun shows, swap meets or through newspaper or internet advertisements. Criminal background checks are only required if the buyer goes to a federally-licensed gun store - all other sales are not subject to the background check.

Also:

LICENSE OR PERMIT TO PURCHASE

Is a license/permit required to buy handguns? No

No state requirement that handgun buyers obtain a handgun license or undergo any type of safety training prior to buying a handgun.

And:

GUN SHOW CHECKS
    Are background checks required at gun shows? No

No state requirement that a Brady criminal background check be done on people buying guns at gun shows if they are sold by "private" individuals or gun "collectors." Gun shows can operate on a "no questions asked, cash-and-carry" basis, making it easy for criminals and even juveniles to buy as many guns as they want at gun shows, including assault weapons. No records are required to be kept on gun show sales by private individuals or gun collectors, making it almost impossible for police to trace such weapons if they are used in a crime.

As well as:

REGISTRATION
    Are all guns registered with law enforcement? No

No state requirement that gun owners register their firearms. Police do not know how many guns are in the state or where they are. The lack of registration data makes it more difficult for police to trace guns used in crime, identify illegal gun traffickers or hold gun owners accountable for their weapons. There is no state system to automatically identify and disarm felons and other prohibited people who bought guns legally in the past, but later committed a crime or otherwise became ineligible to keep possession of their firearms.

Excerpts from:

http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=TX
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 9th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1286747.html

Summit Gun Broker has G23's for $330 for Fixed sites, $350 for Night Sights...

Mark is the owner/operator of the business. He is on vacation for the month of July but if your not in a rush I'd give him a call at the end of the month...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    One qualifier that I did not see mentioned above.

Fed Law dictates that any FTF firearms sale can ONLY take place between 2 residents of the same state. So, if you live in TX, and your friend lives in TX too you are "good to go". If one lives in a different state, you will need to involve an FFL (in your state for a handgun, either state for long guns) in a FTF deal to make the sale legal.

Thanks guys
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Links