AK-47 Drum mags?

AK-47 Drum mags?

This is a discussion on AK-47 Drum mags? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't really want one for defensive use, unless the Chinese invade, but I have always though getting a 75 round drum form my WASR ...

Thread: AK-47 Drum mags?

AK-47 Drum mags?

I don't really want one for defensive use, unless the Chinese invade, but I have always though getting a 75 round drum form my WASR would be cool. Anybody with some knowledge of them? Which ones tend to be well made, which ones should I stay away from? Any issues to look out for if I am going to buy one? I just think it could make for some fun at the range, and lets face it, they look cool.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't have any experience with them myself, but generally speaking drum magazines are not very reliable. Even the Tommy sub machine gun was usually outfitted with a stick magazine and not the drum that is often shown in gangster pics.

What are considered the best are the Chinese or the European copies of them. I can't speak to the reliability of the European copies.

The difference between them and the European drums is that the Chinese can be fully loaded, but not "wound" up allowing them to be stored in a relaxed position. They are also easier to load as the durms open and the rounds are inserted, then the drum is closed. A couple turns if the spring handle sets the spring tension and they are ready to go.

The European ones, other than the copies of the Chinese, must be loaded through the feed chute and are more difficult to looad and are under full tension from the time they are loaded.

The drums that I have are the original Chinese and they have been reliable and easy to load and charge.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thanks Guantes, that is the kind of info I am looking for. I certainly would not want to destroy my thumbs feeding 75 rounds into a drum through the feed chute.

Most of what I am seeing look to be Romanian or Korean Chinese copies. I'll look around and try to find some prices for Chinese ones, but I would expect them to be higher.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

BLCPL,
    Do some shopping around as the prices vary considerably.
    I have recently seen: Chinese $250-$560, Euro copy $70-$300, Korean/asian copy $130 ish.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47K75 Korean 75 rounders for about $55
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...les&groupid=15 Romy 75 rounders for $65

My prices sound much better than yours...

Once again, I'm looking mostly at this from a cool/fun perspective, if I was gonna use my AK for HD (thats why I have an M-4gery), it certainly wouldn't be with a drum, except for when the zombies come knocking.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

For your use I can see getting as economical as possible with functionality. If the design specs were followed and the materials decent they should be fine.

I agree the , generally, they have limited use. I see them as good for fixed position support, such as neighborhood roadblocks, against the "zombies".

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Might have a few? anyone need one I will sell??? never know when you need a lot of rounds.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Administrator
    "AK-47 Drum mags?
    I don't really want one for defensive use, unless the Chinese invade,"

Wait UNTIL the Chinese invade and ambush a Chinese soldier...slit his throat or garrote him from behind and get one for free.
    Why pay for one now?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "AK-47 Drum mags?

Wait UNTIL the Chinese invade and ambush a Chinese soldier...slit his throat or garrote him from behind and get one for free.
    Why pay for one now?
    Well, I gotta familiarize myself with them first, obviously

That's why this one is in the General Firearms forum QK, not defensive rifles.

And in all my training and experience, I am nowhere close to Gecko45's ability to pull something like that off, I need more than some tactical yarn and a combat spork.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'm betting that the zombies/scoietal misfits will get here long befor the Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I'm betting that the zombies/scoietal misfits will get here long befor the Chinese.
    I'm just going to say "the unruly hordes", I think that has me covered on all bases.

Moving back on topic, I think the idea for using it in a support capability is a good one, and would be even better if I had a semi-auto RPK clone, with the longer and heavier barrel, and bipod. Honestly, for suppressing fire, you can achieve a high enough rate of fire with a semi-auto, we never really used out M-16's on burst. Although a M-240B can be a comforting sound. But I can definately see how in a SHTF situation, the extra ammo sans reload could come in handy.

But really, if I find one to get, it will probably be limited to dumping the whole thing into old cars or something as fast as I can, just because I can.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I agree re the RPK clone, but sometimes you just have to make due.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "AK-47 Drum mags?

Why pay for one now?
    This could be the single most violent post I've ever seen here. Hats off to you sir.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Sponsored Links