Is the sig p229 high maintenance?

This is a discussion on Is the sig p229 high maintenance? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am seriously looking at the sig p229 e2 in .40 as my next pistol and and I hear they are an extremly reliable pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am seriously looking at the sig p229 e2 in .40 as my next pistol and and I hear they are an extremly reliable pistol but do they require a lot of continuous cleaning and maintenance to keep it reliable much like the beretta, or are they more like a glock which is pretty much reliable regardless the condition of the gun? And second question, which trigger is best for combat shooting DAO or SA/DA and why. p.s. because I just don't want a glock so don't ask, thank you.

Administrator
    No, they are no more high maintenance than any other gun. While it might be true that Glocks can be abused a little more, the Sig is a combat pistol too. As far as the trigger mech, thats up to you and your personal preference. But if you must ask, then I'd suggest the DOA for the same consistent trigger every time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Ditto. My Agency runs P229s, and they see some very serious round counts during some courses/training events. They don't require meticulous cleaning to continue running, and are extremely reliable. And also ditto SIXTO on the trigger style - I am extremely used to the traditional DA set up, so it doesn't bother me going from DA to SA, but it does bother some folks. It is really your personal preference.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I don't know if Sig is offering the P229 in DAO right now. They do have it in "DAK" which is functionally the same but mechanically different, and some say better. If you are not sure of the system you want, and dont mind spending a few extra bucks, you could get the traditional DA/SA and order a DAO hammer from Top Gun Supply. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but I can do the swap in about twenty minutes with basic hand tools. I don't imagine a smith would charge much to convert from DA/SA to DAO.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Also, the P226, P229, and P239 can all be switched from DA/SA to DAK and back, but the parts to do so are about $200.

No....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't think Sigs take substantially more or less maintenance than most other semi-automatic pistols. If you neglect any pistol, eventually it will fail you. But, if you look at the lists of Fed LEO Agencies, Military groups, and State Police Agencies that carry Sigs, you will see that you are in good company. Navy Seals and the like don't choose a pistol because it looks cool, they choose it because it works for them.

As far as the trigger, both of my Sigs are traditional DA/SA, I don't really have any problems with that set up. But either A.) try to shoot one of each type before you buy, or B.) go with what you find the best deal on, and if you don't like it, do what mcp suggested.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a 229 40 equinox,I have put close to 1000 rounds thru it without cleaning it with no malfunctions,Before I would carry it it would get cleaned and lubed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I have over 3200 rounds through my 228R and I haven't had any issues with it. The most I've shot in one session w/o cleaning was 350 rounds with a mix of ammo and it ran flawlessly. I clean it after every session, grease on the rails and oil everywhere else. If I don't shoot it, I'll relube every 2 weeks and get the lint out.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    SIGs like to be run "wetter" than Glocks, in that the type of lubes that go on wet, and then become a dry film, are NOT the best for SIGs. There are plenty of lubes that work fine for SIGs. I have used the runnier of the two Wilson Ultima Lubes with great success.

When I tried Eezox, a type of lube that dries, on one of my P229's, I started getting minor failures to feed, the ONLY malfs I have ever had with any of my several P229s.

My 2004 P229R has been subjected to extremely filthy conditions, but kept well-lubed, and it has worked fine. 100% reliable, with all bullet weights from 135 to 180 grains. Well-lubed does not meaning dripping/leaking all over the place, just a thin film of lube in the right places.

How hard is it to occasionally field strip a pistol, run a clean paper towel with a little oil on it over inside and outside of the slide, outside of the barrel and in the mag well, throw a drop of oil on each frame rail and a bit on the barrel, then push a little wad of rolled up paper towel through the barrel with a meat thermometer or other handy object?

Maintenance intensive?

Good L0RD...

I guess my 226 was special. I shot it. I didn't keep it uber clean but I made sure that it wasn't caked with holster grime or powder residue, and for some reason, it worked.

Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    How hard is it to occasionally field strip a pistol, run a clean paper towel with a little oil on it over inside and outside of the slide, outside of the barrel and in the mag well, throw a drop of oil on each frame rail and a bit on the barrel, then push a little wad of rolled up paper towel through the barrel with a meat thermometer or other handy object?

Maintenance intensive?

Good L0RD...

I guess my 226 was special. I shot it. I didn't keep it uber clean but I made sure that it wasn't caked with holster grime or powder residue, and for some reason, it worked.

Go figure...

Yep
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I clean my P228 with about the same maintenance routine as my Glock. I do use Hoppe's Gun Grease n the rails in stead of a regular oil I oil everything else. I have shot a 200 plus rounds at one time with out cleaning and had no issues. They are not finicky at all. Basic field strip and cleaning and some common sense will carry you far with them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My P229DAK doesn't require any more care than anything else I've ever owned. I'm more than happy with it!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I use a P226 for my duty weapon and it has been put through some harsh training conditions. I have shot a few hundred rounds at a time on several occasions without any malfunctions. Sometimes it would be raining and we would be dropping our magazines on the ground, reloading without cleaning, and firing again without a single malfunction. After each range session, I clean my gun thoroughly and lube it with Mil-Comm TW25B which is what Sig recommends. For the SA/DA or DAO debate, I prefer SA/DA. I think for law enforcement carry, it is a good option to have in case I need to make a long distance hostage type scenario shot. However, I think for a civilian just using the weapon for defense purposes, a DAO is a good option. It provides a constant trigger pull that can be mastered with some good range time and snap cap practice sessions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links