Reload time, revolver vs semi-auto - Page 2

Reload time, revolver vs semi-auto

This is a discussion on Reload time, revolver vs semi-auto within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have not practiced tactical reloads with either of these weapons, which is why I chose them. These are range, field, home guns not CC ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reload time, revolver vs semi-auto

I have not practiced tactical reloads with either of these weapons, which is why I chose them. These are range, field, home guns not CC for me. They are also both full size versions of their respective platform. I was not going for record times or anything. I simply put six shots in each and without practicing with either I put the reload in my pocket to simulate how I would typically "run to wal mart right quick" because those are most likely the situations we would be in.

I was just trying to simulate an off the cuff reload with my reload in my pants pocket. The pocket carry of the reload really ate up a lot of time with both (orientation, etc.). But, that was the same with both. I believe belt carry of reload would shave time with either one. The revolver did necessitate more manual dexterity, so flubs under pressure would be more of a risk.

I'm right handed. My right thumb cannot reach the left side mag release on my semi-autos without manipulating the gun in my hand. Same with the mag release. I also kept both hands on the gun while firing, the same with both weapons. My thought is in a gun fight you probably will not be aware you are out until it goes click or locks back unless you can count rounds under stress (which means you aren't likely to anticipate being out and needing to have your reload ready). I must say with a`semi-auto it would be much quicker for me to reload before the slide locks back. On my XD40sc (carry weapon), it has ambi mag release and I can hit it with my right hand middle finger and reach the mag release with my thumb. My reloads with it are quicker as I have practiced with it and carry a spare mag already oriented with it on my belt. I wanted to keep the experiment fairly level, so I used two weapons I wasn't familiar with.

So with a semi, I hit the mag release with my left hand as I pulled it away, drew mag out and oriented it, inserted, released slide with left hand, gripped, and let it fly.

With a revolver, I hit the cylinder release with my right thumb and smacked the rod with my left as I lowered the gun, retrieved hks, put in (seemed to line up very easily with the rounds I was using) with slight twist, and pushed cylinder in and gripped while I raised the weapon and fired.

I'm sure I could whittle the time down for both, but the actual time from bang to bang wasn't as much my concern as the comparison between two guns that I had not practiced with. Now, if you happen to be shooting one handed with your reload in your other hand beside the gun ready to go, I'm sure the auto would be quicker. I was trying to simulate a realistic average guy situation not a range or timed tactical course simulation. I was really surprised. I also agree that the round count of most semis would not necessitate reloads as frequently. My personal belief is that 99.99% of civilians needing a gun in a justified self defense situation will never need a reload regardless of the capacity or platform they choose to carry. End the threat and get out of dodge. I could be wrong. Either way, I usually carry a S&W 442 in my left pocket regardless of which platform I carry as primary.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The vast majority of folks will reload a semi faster than they can accomplish the same task with a wheelie............UNLESS You Are.....this man.

In slow motion, he still loads and shoots 10 times faster than I could've!

Then again, I don't even have a wheel gun to practice with...

Reminds me of when I watched The Expendables with my friend.

He said there was no way anyone could shoot as fast as Stallone was in the movie. Then I showed him some Jerry Miculek clips...

BugDude thanks for an interesting and post. I can reload my revolver with speed strips pretty fast, and a speed loader quicker. I think that quick reloads are important, but sometimes over blown. Barring starting an arguement in gun fighting ideaology, My priority is to use my first round or two to help me put distance between my threat and I, and if he is DRT, then to reload in anticipation of his family members beating the police to the scene. Other than that, the reality is a cylinder full will do.

Gman,
    Not an ideology arguement, but one of circumstances. In some cases I would attempt to create distance, in others attempt to close distance.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Gman,
    Not an ideology arguement, but one of circumstances. In some cases I would attempt to create distance, in others attempt to close distance.
    Yes. You are absolutely correct. Circumstances dictate.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Plenty of time, in fact most of the time, when I carried a sixgun as a duty handgun, during the qual, I shot twice, reloaded, and fired the first of my next two shots before the auto shooters fired the first shot after their reloads. To be clear, this is fellow LEOs, not necessarily the most accomplished shooters in the world.

Notably, however, I reload an auto faster than I speed-load a revolver. To balance this, I generally shoot a revolver more accurately than autos.

I gravitate to the revolver but can fumble it a bit on reloading if rushing. I'm faster with an auto-pistol.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    An inertia slide release is slightly faster than a manual slide release.
    Could you elaborate on what an intertia slide release is? Maybe some examples of each of these in common guns. I've never heard this term.

Thanks.

(after googling it, I see it might be a verb rather than a noun...?? still can't figure out exactly what you mean)
    Last edited by cammo; December 18th, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Be happy to.
    I have heard different terms for it that I don't recall at the moment, but I call it an inertia release. It is the insertion of a new full mag with sufficient force that the insertion of the mag causes the slide to release. I call it an intertia release as the inertia of the mag hitting home causes the pistol to move up slightly, but faster than the slide release can maintain contact with the slide, thereby releasing the slide. The amount of force differs with the individual pistol and is not really that great.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Jerry does make a good case for moon clips. He is fast with speed loaders also.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

In timed competitive shooting (IPSC) events, I've used a revolver and found that my times were just slightly less than the semiauto guys'. About 2-3 seconds less. That's reloading under pressure and probably a reasonable expectation. Revolvers win the reliability argument, but semiautos get to take the honors in "speed of reloading."

These differences emerge in things like timed drills. In general defensive uses of a handgun, I think they're negligible. If you run out of bullets, the situation, whatever it is, is probably over. If you have time to reload - wheelie or auto - the situation is probably over. That is, you'll likely have plenty of time for reloading because you'll be over here and the BG will be running or horizontal over there.

You definitely do want to practice this skill, and your benchmark should be a smooth, quick reload with no wasted time or motion. Ayoob's "stressfire" reload for the revolver is where you want to be. Going for blur-fast speeds could be counterproductive, as a mistake could lead to slower performance (e.g., you drop the speedloader). What's that saying? "Slow is fast and fast is smooth"?
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

You can argue more shots with a semi all you want.... but it means nothing.

It's which are you more accurate shooting in the shortest time. If you weren't as accurate with a semi then the revolver would be the better choice.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    What's that saying? "Slow is fast and fast is smooth"?
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Meaning that, if you move slowly, you will perform your actions smoothly. And, as your actions become "smooth," speed will naturally increase.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Generally from my experience it all boils down to experience/training/comfort with the given firearm. I actually just switched because I've recently found that I am fumbling more and more with a semi-autos magazine, but not with the revolver. I am a bit slower with the revolver reload, but don't flub them nearly as often as I am with a semi-auto.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The vast majority of folks will reload a semi faster than they can accomplish the same task with a wheelie............UNLESS You Are.....this man.

That's just awesome and unreal, but excellent.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links