Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub

This is a discussion on Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://snubtraining.com/blog/?cat=288 Coincidence that I just read this bog post a couple days ago. Originally Posted by Michael de Bethencourt Answer 3: But if you are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub

http://snubtraining.com/blog/?cat=288
    Coincidence that I just read this bog post a couple days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael de Bethencourt
    Answer 3: But if you are asked me (Michael de Bethencourt) if I think the snub is enough gun for multiple attackers (define “multiple”) coming against me (Alone, with neither friends nor family in tow) I would say (drum roll please ….) “It’s a nonsense question. Right up there with “Do you still beat your wife?”

Here’ are my thoughts, valid only for me but I’ll share them anyway.

1 – No one can win a gunfight against multiple shooters so I pre-reject the concept of facing multiple shooters. Faced with multiple attackers, I plan to pick the one guy that I am reasonable certain I can stop (We don’t kill – we shoot to stop, right? … rrrright) and I make it VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE FOR HIM to try and kill me. If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule – Start one job and see it through – The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn’t work in business or in gunfighting.

2 – Cull the herd, divide and conquer, call it what you will. In a real fight … most of the time … groups are only tough because they are anonymous. If you survive the gunfight with the one (1) guy God himself assigned to you then look around. IF there are still bag guys and IF they are still trying to kill you and IF you’re are still alive go back for “seconds.” But that is a lot of “IF’s.”

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry a 5 shot snubby exclusively. I would shoot 2-1-1

I carry Two Five shot 357 Rugers. I also carry reloads.

Had an IDPA BUG match like this. 5 BGs across a 10 yard spread, varying distances from 2-5 yards, and I was confined to a 6' x 6' x 6' triangle.

Grab the gun, all shots on the move, 1 shot each to the head.

Closest threat first. After the first shot everybody (including you) will be moving. More than one BG, limited rounds...Yeah, share equally. Everybody gets one before anybody gets a second. Relocate, reload, access & act if the threat is still present, check your shorts, holster if safe, call 911.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Had an IDPA BUG match like this. 5 BGs across a 10 yard spread, varying distances from 2-5 yards, and I was confined to a 6' x 6' x 6' triangle.

Grab the gun, all shots on the move, 1 shot each to the head.

Closest threat first. After the first shot everybody (including you) will be moving. More than one BG, limited rounds...Yeah, share equally. Everybody gets one before anybody gets a second. Relocate, reload, access & act if the threat is still present, check your shorts, holster if safe, call 911.
    First you say it, then you do it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

New York Reload....................................

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    With a single oponent, why not 3 or 4 shots initially?
    With multiples of equal threat, boarding house rules. Everybody gets firsts befor anybody gets seconds.

^^^^^^^I'm in this camp on this^^^^^^^^

Hopefully you are loaded for bear, and will have .357 loads in there.

And it it just me, but does it seem as though you are making a good point for BikerRN's strategy of having a BUG or two???
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I carry Two Five shot 357 Rugers. I also carry reloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Fire and maneuver! Engage the deadliest threat first, and then maybe the second threat as well. But don't just stand there and be static while trying to engage everyone. Fire and maneuver.

Also, it would be a good time to be employing your BUG.

It is highly unlikely everyone is going to want to stick around to try and catch your bullets. You engage one or two and then make a bee-line towards cover, or anywhere besides where you are standing, you'll likely not have many of the remainder want to pursue you. And if they do... well maybe you should have kept that hi-cap semi-auto.

Also when your gun starts to bark, most people are not going to focus on whether you have a 5 shot SP-101 or a 6 shot Speed Six, and some may not even know whether the bullets are coming from a revolver or an automatic. Identifying your weapon, just isn't a high priority of survival at that point. At least for most thugs.
    [QUOTE=xXxplosive;1829022]New York Reload....................................[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=oneshot;1829041]^^^^^^^I'm in this camp on this^^^^^^^^

Hopefully you are loaded for bear, and will have .357 loads in there.

And it it just me, but does it seem as though you are making a good point for BikerRN's strategy of having a BUG or two???[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^I guess it wasn't only me.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes I jump the gun a little!!!.......<------No pun intended!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Identify the meanest SOB who is the biggest threat and put one in him/her while moving then move to the next..... If the rest aren't running when the little .357 goes boom and are still actively engaging you..... then you probably should have thought it out better and been carrying a rifle in that AO or at least a hicap handgun. Carry to your AO, don't rely on one defensive weapon as the end all be all for every AO. I have multiples. If I am down by the border it is my 15+1 10mm plus my AK and a 8 mag load + 1 in the weapon. Around town and work, my LCR .357 with a speedstrip or two and an AK always in the truck. In the city, the G17 and a happy stick or two in the backpack. Deep conceal ao... my keltec p3at hidden deep on my person with an extra mag. If I know I am going into a high crime area, gang area, or an area that is a potential terrorist target, I carry up to the G17 or G29. If not my LCR and a couple reloads should be able to handle your a-typical street mugger/methhead that I may encounter on my day to day activities Because I live rural, I also have my AK in the truck with a total of 9 full mags at all times. Carry to your AO.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Identify the meanest SOB who is the biggest threat and put one in him/her while moving then move to the next..... If the rest aren't running when the little .357 goes boom and are still actively engaging you..... then you probably should have thought it out better and been carrying a rifle in that AO or at least a hicap handgun. Carry to your AO, don't rely on one defensive weapon as the end all be all for every AO. I have multiples. If I am down by the border it is my 15+1 10mm plus my AK and a 8 mag load + 1 in the weapon. Around town and work, my LCR .357 with a speedstrip or two and an AK always in the truck. In the city, the G17 and a happy stick or two in the backpack. Deep conceal ao... my keltec p3at hidden deep on my person with an extra mag. If I know I am going into a high crime area, gang area, or an area that is a potential terrorist target, I carry up to the G17 or G29. If not my LCR and a couple reloads should be able to handle your a-typical street mugger/methhead that I may encounter on my day to day activities Because I live rural, I also have my AK in the truck with a total of 9 full mags at all times. Carry to your AO.
    That's a interesting point about carrying a rifle in the car. I would feel a heck of a lot better if I could carry my 870 in my vehicle. I may have to look into the legality of that...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    http://snubtraining.com/blog/?cat=288
    Coincidence that I just read this bog post a couple days ago.

1 – No one can win a gunfight against multiple shooters so I pre-reject the concept of facing multiple shooters.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40707386...ws-houston_tx/
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    With a gun with only 5 shots, I would say go with shooting a hot load to help make every shot as effective as possible.

This is what I have loaded in my Model 66. Although this loading was designed for use in carbines, it works great in revolvers too.

It is quite a scary sight seeing a revolver aimed at you with this ammo, as those big bright red tips really stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    With a gun with only 5 shots, I would say go with shooting a hot load to help make every shot as effective as possible.

This is what I have loaded in my Model 66. Although this loading was designed for use in carbines, it works great in revolvers too.

It is quite a scary sight seeing a revolver aimed at you with this ammo, as those big bright red tips really stand out.

I have a lot of this ammo since I have a lever rifle .357. I have noticed that with this in my speed loader, it is quicker to reload as the rounds seem to be easier to line up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have no intention of engaging multiple targets with my 5 shot LCR. That being said, I will in a heartbeat defend myself with my 5 shot LCR. IMO, all I really need to do is use my revolver to fight my way to either evade and find secure cover, or to the trunk of my car; from there I can easily change for prey to hunter with the help from my 12 gauge. Given the choice, I'll evade and assist the LEO's with any information I can.

As for the revolver itself. IMO, 5 rounds of .357 magnum is nothing to scoff at. A .357 JHP to the COM is a awesome fight stopping round. These will most likely be punks not Marines, big difference in there tactics and will to finish what they started, IMO anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

+4 on the NY reload...

It might not hurt to throw a prayer in there

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links