Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub - Page 3

Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub

This is a discussion on Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If facing multiple opponents, I might deliver one or two shots to each, the perceived leader probably first, or I may pour fire into the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engaging multiple targets with a 5 shot snub

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If facing multiple opponents, I might deliver one or two shots to each, the perceived leader probably first, or I may pour fire into the one I perceive to be the leader, largely ignoring the others until the leader falls. It really depends on other things, such as how close each one is, and where and how I move. (I may shoot a "flanker" first, to try to keep them all within my field of view.) I will always try to move so that the bad guys will have to shoot through or closely past each other in order to hit me. This latter tactic is something I have been doing as an LEO for over a quarter of a century, anytime I am facing multiple persons, whether I know them to be armed or not. The closest person becomes a human shield, between me and the others.*

The NY reload is certainly a good idea, though Texas Rangers were carrying two handguns many years before NYPD LEOs widely adopted the idea, so I will feel free to call a second gun a Texas reload. When the biggest gun I am carrying is a 5-shot snubby, I usually have another one on my person, too. When I am carrying something bigger, I will still usually have a 5-shot second weapon.

Speaking of NYPD LEOs, Jim Cirillo, who is credited by some with coining the term "NY realod," won a gunfight against three armed robbers, using a 6-shot .38 Model 10 revolver, and the fight was over without his needing to reload, so it is not impossible to win a gunfight against multiple armed opponents.

*I believe this has kept from fights from starting in the first place. To be clear, I have actually only fired one shot in the line of duty, and it involved one opponent.

Boarder House Rules apply here...no one gets seconds until everyone has had his/her first...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I might also, from the comfort of my office chair, think it would be a good idea to try and get your first assailant in between you and your other assailants. It keeps you moving and forces the assailants you can't immediately pay attention to to move as well.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

VIP Member

Houston police: Store owner kills 3 robbery suspects Businessman says the men were trying to tie up his wife when he opened fire

The knuckledraggers around Houston should second guess going in his shop and yelling "stick'em up".

Wow. I wonder what training if any he had, Courses/military/other.

He definitely wasn't going down without a fight.

1 for Houston shopkeepers--- 0 for knuckledraggers.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Realistically, you might as well worry about lightning strikes. The chances of any of us ever needing to use our weapons in our lifetimes is extremely remote, being engaged by multiple attackers beyond that. Yes, it can happen, but at some level of probability an imaginable event becomes a moot point. Much better think about car accidents and fires for preparedness.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Realistically, you might as well worry about lightning strikes. The chances of any of us ever needing to use our weapons in our lifetimes is extremely remote, being engaged by multiple attackers beyond that. Yes, it can happen, but at some level of probability an imaginable event becomes a moot point. Much better think about car accidents and fires for preparedness.
    If that is how you feel.... Then why do you even carry?

Read up on Bernard Goetz. One 5 shot revolver = 4 muggers stopped.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    If that is how you feel.... Then why do you even carry?
    Because in certain areas under certain conditions the risk, though still remote, goes up a bit and there I feel safer carrying - if on foot at night. But I don't worry about multiple attackers; two attackers I've heard of in press and in each a ccw shot sends the other running. Beyond two .....................

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Read up on Bernard Goetz. One 5 shot revolver = 4 muggers stopped.
    Everything happens, but the "likelys" get my attention. The rest, dunno - but walking out of the house exposes one to hundreds of risks. There's more to life than the sum total of risk - so a few, like driving, the big one, I keep in awareness and the conditions mentioned for ccw another, pedestrian stuff crossing streets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    With a single oponent, why not 3 or 4 shots initially?
    With multiples of equal threat, boarding house rules. Everybody gets firsts befor anybody gets seconds.
    Agreed: 2 targets do 1-2-1, everyone has to get hit once before i start firing multiple rounds at one target
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links