640 vs 649 - Page 2

640 vs 649

This is a discussion on 640 vs 649 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think when you get a better feel for it, and start pulling the trigger more aggressively, the cylinder will lock up on all 5. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 640 vs 649

I think when you get a better feel for it, and start pulling the trigger more aggressively, the cylinder will lock up on all 5. I can pull my back quick and hard, stoping it just before the hammer falls, and the enertia created by the cylinder being forced quickly and then stopped quickly, makes a very positive lock up. Like Guantes stated, it may be a bolt notch slightly off, and this is more noticable rotating it slowly.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Xader, for all the publicity and attention the j frames get, they are an experts weapon. I sometimes cringe when I hear them recommended to a first time shooter. The 1911 is one of the easiest guns to shoot. The small snub demands practice and skill to shoot effectively. If you can shoot a DA snub well, you are indeed a good shot.

The inherent accuracy of the snub is as good as any gun. But mastery of the trigger is vital to bringing this out.
    I do have quite a few hours on a wheel gun, a S&W K frame, though I don't know what model off the top of my head. I love that it can be fired either SA or DA.

So I am proficient with a revolver, it would just be a matter of mastering the snubby.

Xader, for all the publicity and attention the j frames get, they are an experts weapon. I sometimes cringe when I hear them recommended to a first time shooter. The 1911 is one of the easiest guns to shoot. The small snub demands practice and skill to shoot effectively. If you can shoot a DA snub well, you are indeed a good shot.

The inherent accuracy of the snub is as good as any gun. But mastery of the trigger is vital to bringing this out.
    Truer words have never been spoken. +1.

A lot of folks who don't like revolvers are ones that had never handled or shot one and their first experience was with a snubnosed airweight. The initial shock at the difference froma bottom feeder and their inability to just pick it up and hit anything with it turns them off immediately. Much like a person that's never touched a golf club and their first experience is with a really good foursome on a busy Saturday with tons of people watching. It is frustrating and turns them against it never to try it or practice ever again.

A snubnosed revolver is a very specialized instrument and is unique in the firearm world (especially a DAO airweight). It is unique even within the realm of revolvers. With about 30 minutes of reading on proper technique and a couple hundred rounds of focused practice, you can start to see real progress. Work at it and inside of 500 rounds you can develop great accuracy. With a DA/SA model, spend 95+% of your practice in DA mode and SA mode will be like a vacation...just for fun. My Dad gave me an H&R 922 snub revolver in .22lr. That thing has been tremendous for my snub training. I highly recommend one for developing snub techniques. I like shrouded hammer models (I have a 1960 S&W 49) and I think the steel versions feel better in hand and while shooting. The airweights are more versatile in carry methods.

If you commit to it and put forth the effort in practice and time, you will achieve proficiency and develop skills that will carry over into your overall shooting. You will also develop a tremendous respect and appreciation for revolvers and these specialized renditions. Keep practicing, and add speed loaders and reloads to your practice.

Once you go snub....I can't think of anything really cool that rhymes. But a tuning fork goes off in your heart and you're never the same after that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Once you go snub.....
    ...there's nothin' else, bub.

Not very good, but I have it a shot

Ex Member
    Each to his own but I own 3 of the Bodyguard types with the shrouded hammer, S&W 649, S&W 638 and Taurus 651ss. I prefer the ability of single action fire if I need it. The completely concealed hammer type, 640 and 340PD, just wasn't for me.

I agree. That's why everything that I carry has a single action capability.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I agree. That's why everything that I carry has a single action capability.
    Roger that.

Distinguished Member
    Roger that.
    That's kinda what I'm hoping to achieve. Which makes the 649 pretty attractive.

You don't always get to use it, but dang it, SA is a thing of beauty!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links