Defensive Carry banner

KEL-Tec P-3AT .380 Pics

3K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  RSSZ 
#1 ·
There sure are enough pics already around of this little pistol.
This is the Fugly one I just bought.
I had two to choose from - this one was the better one of the two.
A better trigger & just "gut feeling" slightly better fit & finish.

Observations:

Warning: This pistol looks cheap!

This little .380 with the magazine removed weighs almost NOTHING.

The factory mags are good quality...they are Mec Gar...too bad you only get one with the pistol. I just bought another one on Ebay.

You should NOT dry Fire this pistol for some unknown reason...but, it's in the manual.

The barrel is THIN...I mean it is the thinnest walled barrel I've ever seen in my life. It's VERY good quality though. :yup:

Did I say this pistol looks like it should have a price tag of $19.95 attached to it?

This pistol disappears in a in a pair of shorts pants pocket.
It for sure does not weigh down a pair of pants.
NO BELT NEEDED!

I'm surprised...the trigger pull is very smooth & even...long but, smooth traveling.

Why did Kel Tec BOTHER putting sights on this pistol at all?
The front sight is only like 1/16 of an inch in height. :confused:

OK I set this down on top of my Walther PPK/S .380. If I would have taker the photo from a greater distance away you would be able to see that it is actually SMALLER in comparison than it looks in my photo.
It is shorter in the rear and at the muzzle than it looks below...that does not show too well in my (below) photo.

It really does weigh nearly ZIP...you can grab it at the muzzle with the tip of your index finger & thumb & hold it that way all day long.

Here it is shown in my average sized but, extremely talented left hand. :biggrin:

So there you have it folks the KEL-TEC P-3AT

See less See more
#3 ·
I just Bought This One

I've not had a chance to shoot mine yet.
I'm best guessing that mine will function just fine.
I popped it apart & ran it through a function, feed, & eject check.
It did fine........I can't wait to shoot it.

The all Stainless PPK/S feels like a Heavy Weight - side by side. :biggrin2:

I think my frame color is really slightly goofy looking on a pistol but, not something that I really care about at all.

I'll run all of my older Gold Dot & Silvertips through it & wring it out.

I bought new, fresh .380 ammo. :yup:

#7 ·
Have to agree QK with the looks - hard to believe it ain't a toy!

Function however is of course what matters so hope you'll have a successful test run.

#10 ·
Although the one that I have looks greener than the one in your photo,they are probably the same color. On the box mine sez "blued/green grip".

My carry load is the Gold Dot's and my practice load is the Blazers. It shoots both to the same place. I have approx. 450rds. thru mine now,without a glitch.

Mine will put all shots into a 6" pie plate at 15yds(rested) and all into 3-4 inches at 7yds(rested). To me,that is fine for my purposes. During my slow fire drills,I find that I can "stage" the trigger fairly well for increased accuracy.

My use for the weapon is something that I can drop into the pocket of my elastic waistband shorts on them "emergency" trips to the gas station when I have my lawn half mowed. I do not use it for a primary or a BUG.

I carry mine in a Uncle Mikes Sidekick #2.(inside the pocket holster) These are cheap ($9.00) and seem to last well.

Hope you have as good of luck with yours as I have had with mine. ------

#12 ·
heck qk mine is black framed , good thing too cause with that barbi pastell green my daughter would never give it back LOL

#13 ·
i have a gen one P3at and love it. I bought a finger extension for the mags. if you would like the address of the company, you can PM me. I also put on a rubber boot on the grip. I little thing jumps in your hand. I find mine to shoot rather accurate for the size/type of firearm it is. I shoot federal hydrashok HP in mine. I have a pocket holster that I carry it in from RJ. Hedley. He has a website you can google.
I have found that mine is not a range gun, and it isn't all that fun to shoot. But it is reliable, and it is with me everyday in some capacity, as it ride in the center console of my truck most of the time. I can just toss it in my pocket when I go in somewhere.
congrats.
sorry for the lack of info in this post. I have all the websites and info at my office and I am at my home computer right now

#14 ·
I didn't buy this gun at my usual gun shop.
I have absolutely No Idea if I got it for a good price...or not.
I bought it "Spur Of The Moment" without even researching it first...since I had no idea I even wanted one...until I saw it.
I did some fast paperwork...pulled out the plastic...& I paid $269.00 - I have no idea if I got beat on the price or not.

#16 ·
I think I paid like $250 for my black one. I just put about 50 rounds through mine this past Sunday. No
problems at all. For what it's designed to do it works wonderfully. Try shooting the thing from retention as fast as you can. It's amazing, very fast and at the distances you'd use it (3 yards or less) very accurate. Watch for flying brass though, mine kicks that stuff out right! lol

I've been using 95 gr Speer Lawman ammo for practice. Think I'll try Gold Dots or Silvertips for carry.

And I use a DiSanti Nemesis holster for it. $20 but stays in the pocket very well.

#17 ·
soonerjh

It is ONE QKShooter finger on the front strap.
There is a Plus 1 magazine extension and replacement spring kit but, I think I'll keep mine as a One Finger Wonder. :biggrin2:

BTW I've heard that this pistol is very sensitive to limp wristing.
The word on the Web is that it needs a very firm grip & a good locked wrist. :yup:

#18 ·
heh...I picked up one of those this past week as well to keep my 1911s company..same color as well.
I'm going to try to get out to the range this week and try it out.

#19 ·
qk well all i can say is i got my p3at slightly used as boot on a trade , it is black , blued ( the cheap one ) and near as i can fugure i have 190 in it and a spare mag . but you know how them trade $$ are lol .

#20 ·
QKShooter said:
...I paid $269.00 - I have no idea if I got beat on the price or not.
In my experience - That's a fair price here in South FL.
I was shopping these about 6 months ago - they were hard to find - they would sell out so fast. Most shops were asking $300+ and you had to order them.
There was one shop that would order me one for the $269 proice, but at that point I was fed up and bought a Walther PPK instead.
They're easier to get here now, but I've lost interest.
I think I'll shop the kel-tec PF9 when it's released.

#22 ·
QK, I have the P32 and it just works. It will hit the target from a reasonable distance. I was shooting and hitting 1/2 gal. orange juice cartons at 25' Sunday afternoon.

For a holster be sure to check what Kevin makes at K&D. Here's a sample.

#25 ·
dr_cmg ~ Your Input/ Appreciated.

One of the nicest pocket holsters I've ever seen.

"QK, I have the P32 and it just works. It will hit the target from a reasonable distance. I was shooting and hitting 1/2 gal. orange juice cartons at 25' Sunday afternoon."

That is the practical accuracy that I'm looking for. :yup:

#26 ·
I've had my P3AT for 3 years, my wife for 2. Both are absolutely reliable and fill the bill for their intended purpose. Good accuracy on COM under 10 yards. I carry mine in right front pocket in a wallet type holster. I purchased both NIB at the gun show, mine for $224, my wife's for $218. Around $225 still seems to be about the norm. Gotta love gun shows!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.