First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew - Page 2

First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew

This is a discussion on First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RKM When I first disassembled my AR I was nervous. I paid so much money for it, I was afraid I'd put ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    When I first disassembled my AR I was nervous. I paid so much money for it, I was afraid I'd put it back together wrong, and when I go to shoot it, it'd blow up in my face. I was being so careful and had to refer the the manual numerous times. My brother in law boosted my confidence a bit after teaching me about it. He had it completely apart, buffer spring and all and back together, in what seemed like 5 seconds. It still takes me awhile to clean it, but it's just because I take my time. At least I'm comfortable with disassembly.

I just bought an AK and the disassembly was easier than I thought it'd be. Just as easier as an AR, just different.
    I had that thought about it blowing up on the next range trip. it really is not as hard as I thought,just very different from cleaning a Glock,XD,S&W.

Cleaning is fun but upgrading is even more fun! Usually you get to play the where is that damn spring game on the floor in the carpet while the cats all try to help!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    To get rid of any carbon build up, checkout using Shooters Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner. It works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    First time I cleaned my AR was sitting at my desk watching a youtube video on how to clean a AR :)
    Me too. Guess I picked the right video....it still goes bang.

I have been cleaning my M4 in basic for the past 6 weeks, they get so dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I have been cleaning my M4 in basic for the past 6 weeks, they get so dirty!
    This is the easiest way to learn. You'll even have top notch free supervision to make sure you do it right. Thank you SpencerB for serving and Merry Christmas.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    When I first disassembled my AR I was nervous.
    Oh, I felt the same way when I first bought my AR in 2009. Like I previously stated, I watched the instructional DVD on fieldstripping 6 times over and over prior to the first day I tried it on the range. No field manual is of any help to me as I was unfamiliar with the AR's internal parts. it seems I follow instructions better with DVD, which is more up to the point and makes it clearer for me. After that, I look at the field manual and then say to myself, "Oh, I got it now."(lol). Since then it's been clockwork.
    As for today, I shot about 120 rds. of 5.56 FMJ ammo at the outdoor range. As far as cleaning the AR, it took a total of about 2 hrs. As usual, the parts that take more time to clean are the barrel and bolt carrier/dissassembled bolt assembly. And, I had to load all 6 20-rd. mags too and that took time. Personally for me, shooting any gun is fun. Cleaning it, although I do it religiously, is not. A price to pay for a worthwhile training at the range.

One thing I do not like about this gun,the firing pin retainer.There appear to be different styles that can be purchased.Mine has a cotter pin that slides in a hole.What keeps it in?Seems like there would be a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    This is the easiest way to learn. You'll even have top notch free supervision to make sure you do it right. Thank you SpencerB for serving and Merry Christmas.
    Thank you Supertac45, it is good to be home for the holidays. Basic Training definitely puts into perspective a lot of things people take for granted! It is the little things that really matter!

Remember...the AR was designed for the 18-yr old PVT....you should be fine....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Went to the range today.I must have got it right.Worked like a champ.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    One thing I do not like about this gun,the firing pin retainer.There appear to be different styles that can be purchased.Mine has a cotter pin that slides in a hole.What keeps it in?Seems like there would be a better solution.
    Unless your cotter pin comes off inadvertantly, it shouldn't be a concern as long as you make sure you seat it all the way into the hole. I have a cotter pin too on the bolt of my RRA rifle and my "Entry Tactical LAR-15" has never had any issues.
    As far as a better solution, maybe there would be someday. For now, it is the way it was developed since the 60s, except more reliable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Unless your cotter pin comes off inadvertantly, it shouldn't be a concern as long as you make sure you seat it all the way into the hole. I have a cotter pin too on the bolt of my RRA rifle and my "Entry Tactical LAR-15" has never had any issues.
    As far as a better solution, maybe there would be someday. For now, it is the way it was developed since the 60s, except more reliable now.
    That is good to know,thanks

My AR is left handed, so when I called my brother for help, everything he said was right, but opposite.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

AR's don't require any cleaning. This must be true because that is what I was told in 1967.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links