First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew

This is a discussion on First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I took the new Olympic Arms to the range today.Arriving home,I cleaned a S&W revolver and a G26 in 10 minutes.The AR ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time To Clean The New AR,,whew

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

My wife and I took the new Olympic Arms to the range today.Arriving home,I cleaned a S&W revolver and a G26 in 10 minutes.The AR was a little scary since it was my first time,and these guns are new to me.I was armed with the full manual I downloaded and printed.I have also viewed many YouTube videos on the cleaning and breakdown.I am so accustomed to Glocks and revolvers I half expected springs would fly from the AR when I opened it.Taking apart the bolt was strange,a cotter pin that just sticks in a hole and retains the firing pin.I thought everything would be bolted together Everything ended well though.My wife said I looked so serious it appeared I was involved in surgery.On a side note,we were very impressed with this gun.It came with a red dot site which was very easy to adjust.

Upper goes in the upper rack
    Lower goes in the lower rack
    Bolt, carrier, charging handle go in the silverware basket.

Presto.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    My wife and I took the new Olympic Arms to the range today.Arriving home,I cleaned a S&W revolver and a G26 in 10 minutes.The AR was a little scary since it was my first time,and these guns are new to me.I was armed with the full manual I downloaded and printed.I have also viewed many YouTube videos on the cleaning and breakdown.I am so accustomed to Glocks and revolvers I half expected springs would fly from the AR when I opened it.Taking apart the bolt was strange,a cotter pin that just sticks in a hole and retains the firing pin.I thought everything would be bolted together Everything ended well though.My wife said I looked so serious it appeared I was involved in surgery.On a side note,we were very impressed with this gun.It came with a red dot site which was very easy to adjust.
    I know the feeling. I made absolutely sure that I bought an instructional DVD that taught field stripping and maintenence (Mastering the AR-15 from Lenny Magill) as well as field strip/reassemble it step by step before I shoot my AR after I bought the AR back in August 2009. The bolt and bolt carrier can be especially tricky if you don't pay attention. I made sure I ran the DVD 6 times before I did it hands on. Since then, it's just like clockwork. Also, make sure all the bolt parts are together and it never hurts to buy extra bolt/bolt carrier parts just in case some may need replacement. That way also, if an AR ban was in place from the Obamamessiah administration, at least you have those parts. Anyway, the AR, out of all the 4 guns I own, is the most pain in the derriere to clean as it has a lot of hard to reach places in it as well as taking apart the bolt/bolt carrier. And, with 11 mags I use on the range with it, cleaning all 11 of them also adds up to the already tedious task of just cleaning the AR-15 alone. That also explains why I prefer to shoot in the morning. The rest of the day is then spent cleaning, which is not always fun, although I always do it diligently and never gundeck it or skip it. Just my insights on the AR. Oh yeah, gonna shoot 120 rds. of my 5.56 from my RRA LAR-15 this coming Saturday or Sunday too. This time, I'll just use 6 of my 20-rd. mags.

LOL! Lots more parts eh? Don't let it be intimidating, but do maintain it well, and it should serve you well. Back in the 1980's, I used the butt stock cleaning kit on the M16A2, and broke it all down with the bullet tip of an unfired 5.56 cartridge. Not to mention that same bullet tip (live cartridge) was my windage and elevation tool as well. Those were the simple days I reckon. But now I also realize that I take care of my AR15 a lot better and more meticulously at home than I did the M16 in the field. Reasons being........home is the best place to clean your weapon...........cleaning supplies and equipment are more readily available at home....at home, you have more time to make your weapon ready for another range session......then again......the one at home is paid for, and I don't want to have to fix it in the field, and I can't just go down to the armory and get another with a simple swap. Take care of your gas operated carbine the best way you know how. Bolt and carrier, breech, barrel, gas tube. Blow the unburnt powder out of your lower with canned air. Glock might take ten minutes to clean to your satisfaction.......your AR15 will likely take around twice that once you know your way around the bases and where to focus. Again....don't be intimidated with the parts and take-down. There's only one way you'll put it back together right, otherwise it won't go together at all. The first time only means one thing........many more times down the road! LOL!

First time I cleaned my AR was sitting at my desk watching a youtube video on how to clean a AR :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

First time I cleaned my AR took some pics with my cell and went down the instruction booklet kept the parts in there piles, and just took my time.

http://www.marine-tactical-carbine.c...lean-AR15.html This is a good site
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I thank my wife for suggesting this gun.I was looking at something like the AK47.After looking at both guns ,and talking with my buddy who owns the gun store,she mentioned all the advantages to the AR,and the cool stuff we can add on.Glad I listened to her.

I thank my wife for suggesting this gun.I was looking at something like the AK47.After looking at both guns ,and talking with my buddy who owns the gun store,she mentioned all the advantages to the AR,and the cool stuff we can add on.Glad I listened to her.
    She sounds like a Keeper congrats on the new weapon
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

The AR is one of the easiest guns to clean and maintain I have ever had.Like Ram Rod I carried an M16-A1,cleaning kit in the buttstock and the rear sight only had windage the front sight post was the elevation,and everything was turned with the tip of a bullet.The M16-A2's have windage and elevation on the rear sight now,the M4's take optics.I had a round,last one in the mag jumped up and the bolt closed part way with the rear of the case on top of the bolt jamming the gun.I had to pull both receiver pins to remove the cartridge.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    She sounds like a Keeper congrats on the new weapon
    Sounds like my wife. We have his and hers AR15s!

Here is a very good video of how to field strip and clean an ar-15, courtesy of ShootingUSA.
    http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa

You mean you clean your AR? Kidding, of course. I clean mine every thousand rounds or so, I just make sure to keep the BCG wet. If you shoot often, no real need to clean that often. YMMV.

Here is the wife at the range yesterday.Big coat,covered up.I told her this photo looks sort of scary,lol. She likes this gun even more than me.The staple gun is her back-up piece.

I'm glad for you mr.stuart. I too was anxious when I cracked my Oly. Arms open for the fist time. Then, once I got it all apart. I was like "this is it? how neat".

Now when I opend mine up for the first time, I had no vids, no text for refrence....I just did it and paid attention to how eveything broke down with such ease. I was really baffled on how easy it was.

Looks like your model is a K3B? The A2 upper and the barrell looks like mine.

I really enjoy clean it, almost as fun as shooting it.....heck... I've shot 250-300rounds just to give me an excuse to clean it. heh.

RKM
    When I first disassembled my AR I was nervous. I paid so much money for it, I was afraid I'd put it back together wrong, and when I go to shoot it, it'd blow up in my face. I was being so careful and had to refer the the manual numerous times. My brother in law boosted my confidence a bit after teaching me about it. He had it completely apart, buffer spring and all and back together, in what seemed like 5 seconds. It still takes me awhile to clean it, but it's just because I take my time. At least I'm comfortable with disassembly.

I just bought an AK and the disassembly was easier than I thought it'd be. Just as easier as an AR, just different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links