Defensive Carry banner

FYI: SIG P290 SUB-COMPACT 9MM available soon.

15K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  claybreaker0 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Looks to be much the same size as the Kahr PM9, but a half-inch longer. Big, easy to manipulate slide stop/release and magazine release. Hm. IMO, if SIG can make it available at a street price no higher than ~$450, so long as it's absolutely reliable then it should do extremely well.

#7 ·
That new Sig is meant to compete with the Glock 26, the Kahr PM9 and the Walther PPS 9mm. Of all of these, I prefer the Walther PPS.

#8 ·
There have been a few threads on this gun already, but I definitely will be keeping an eye out to see how this gun is in the real world.

#12 ·
I believe that you are right skysoldier. I've seen multiple reports that those are the MSRP prices for the pistol. Which means street prices should be a bit lower than that.

It will definitely undercut the Kahr PM9 and Walther PPS in price.

The "nightsight" is lame, though, as only the front sight is a tritium sight.

Should hopefully make a good pocket carry gun.

#13 ·
I just called Sig to get some more info on the P290. The lady I spoke with said they were hoping that it would be available for the SHOT show in February. I asked if it would be for sale then, which she said yes to. Gun manufacturers usually don't release their guns to the public until a while later so I wouldn't expect it to be out then. She had no price on it and she said there was only one model (black), with an integrated laser as an accessory.

#14 ·
I am waiting to see how I like the trigger on it. I'm in the market for a PM9 size 9mm carry gun and this is certainly the right size and weight. I'm not real fond of the trigger on the Kahrs. I like the trigger on my Glock 26. Hopefully the SIG trigger will be more like the Glock and sell for something like the street price of a Glock 26. If it does, it will steal a bunch of market share from Kahr.

Fitch

#17 ·
That dude is not very knowledgeable, or even articulate. He complains that the gun is only 6+1, and then compares it to the Kahr PM-9, yet it has the exact same ammo capacity. And his entire biggest rant about the pistol being a lot thicker than the competition is totally off base too.

He does not appear to me to be experienced with smaller carry guns. Yes, the gun is heavier than the competition. But that is really the old valid point that he raises.

And if 20 oz makes a gun too heavy to carry, then a lot of us here are going to have to dump our current carry guns.

#18 ·
It was his opinion that it was heavy, and it wasn't really just that it was heavy. It was the combination of weight, thickness, and capacity that made him dislike them. Obviously if you are used to carry a full size 1911, then this won't be a problem. I think his point was that the specs weren't that impressive when there are other options out there, such as the Keltec, or the Kahr PM9 (quite a bit thinner than the 290) that I know he carries.

The video wasn't meant to be a pro review, and it was obviously done on the fly. I have seen a few of his videos on youtube, and I think he is pretty knowledgeable, at least compared to most of what's out there. He is ex millitary/LEO and has as of right now 760 videos with probably millions of views on youtube so he must be doing something right.

#21 ·
I think his point was that the specs weren't that impressive when there are other options out there, such as the Keltec, or the Kahr PM9 (quite a bit thinner than the 290) that I know he carries.

Both of these guns have an identical slide thickness of .9 inch. I fail to see how one could possibly argue that one is significantly thicker than the other. I carry a PM9, that this P290 doesn't look any thicker than my pistol. This point comes across as being an obvious exaggeration on his part.

And the 6+1 capacity is exactly the same as the PM9's capacity. And even weight is not that big of a factor, either. Kahr PM9 with magazine is 15.9 oz, compared to 20.5 oz for the Sig P290 with a mag. Dude, that is only a difference of 4.6 oz

So his arguments really fall apart when comparing the gun to a PM9. Capacity and thickness are identical, and while I admit that the gun is significantly heavier, another 4.6 oz is not necessarily a deal breaker.

So his review definitely comes across to me as being inaccurate and exaggerated.

The video wasn't meant to be a pro review, and it was obviously done on the fly.
He does need to buy a video camera with image stabilization built into it. Most decent video cameras now have that feature. The video was way too jerky.

#24 ·
After firing a awhile ago and carrying a Grendel P12 .380 I learned one thing, A gun can be too light. So honestly the weight issue isnt much of one. Dimension are the biggy, to thick it prints easier, to long and it jabs you all day, and prints at the smallest movements.
If you fire a .380 out of a firearm that is more aptly weighted for a .22lr then it will kick harder then a .357. (Got the sore hands and bruises to prove it).
So the weight issue is over blown, the thickness not so much.
A good rig makes carrying a dream, and sometimes the right grips can help too.

#25 ·
I agree that a gun can be "to light" but when the vast majority of the competition is weighing in between 12-16 ounces and your coming in at 20.5.... I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...

#27 ·
It's been a while since I have seen a PM9 myself, but when I saw it I got the impression that it was very slim. I know the specs for the slide is the same on the two guns, but the 290 seems a lot beefier, maybe it's because of the big slide release that makes it 1.1" thick.
For those that are interested, here is his review of the PM9

#31 ·
Sig P290 is too thick in my opinion. WAY too thick. I'm still waiting for someone to put something out that competes with my PPS. In fact, if they just shortened the PPS by .5"-.75" I'd be an even happier camper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.