Buying used guns

This is a discussion on Buying used guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It really frustrates me when i look at the used gun listings. Half the handguns I see listed are priced higher than my local store's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying used guns

Buying used guns

It really frustrates me when i look at the used gun listings. Half the handguns I see listed are priced higher than my local store's new price. Does anybody really think it benefits us as gun owners if we wring the last dollar in profit off a gun sale. Why would anyone want to buy a gun in a possibly unsafe environment for more than a retail store. I think the answer is obvious. I don't want any of us to face the business end of one of my sold guns just because I was more interested in a few more dollars profit than the proper vetting of a buyer.

I will never sell a gun to to a private owner unless they have a chl or do an ffl transaction. A drivers license is just not enough.

The more we act responsibly, the more likely it will be that our benevelont government stays out of our lives.

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    I am looking for a stainless K frame .357 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel locally. I got a P.M. from guy that had one. His asking price? EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS......................American money!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mreymann View Post
    It really frustrates me when i look at the used gun listings. Half the handguns I see listed are priced higher than my local store's new price. Does anybody really think it benefits us as gun owners if we wring the last dollar in profit off a gun sale. Why would anyone want to buy a gun in a possibly unsafe environment for more than a retail store. I think the answer is obvious. I don't want any of us to face the business end of one of my sold guns just because I was more interested in a few more dollars profit than the proper vetting of a buyer.

I will never sell a gun to to a private owner unless they have a chl or do an ffl transaction. A drivers license is just not enough.

The more we act responsibly, the more likely it will be that our benevelont government stays out of our lives.
    I don't need permission from the gov't to buy/sell my private property....and I've bought several guns from friends... What do you mean by "unsafe environment"? Are you new to guns? What's your point?

As to
    When has this ever happened in the past?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

my point sig guy is that the stranger that is willing to buy your gun off the trunk of a car for $50 more than a new one cost, is probably not the person you should sell your gun to. I have no problem selling a gun to a known friend. My experience with guns has nothing to do with my unwillingness to sell to anyone with a drivers license.

As far as a safe environment, I feel more secure in a gun shop than a Mcdonalds parking lot. I was not insulting the integrity of your home

I've bought, sold, and traded used guns without any issues. I figure I'll probably continue doing so at my own discretion, and legally. IMO.....overpriced guns might just be for the buyer who might want to pay extra in order to avoid the paperwork or the process on a brand new store-bought. No need getting frustrated over what others do or don't do. You don't have to buy overpriced guns, and you can stipulate who you will or won't sell to. Maybe I'm missing your point?

Congratulations...you've bought into the argument that the typical antigun elitists use often.

Its your choice to do as you choose. Assuming that a gun sold in private will be used for the worst and that just because someone owns a CHL or an FFL wont use it for wrongdoing is not only to assume a lot, but it is also degrading to me in particular.

I for one, dont think its any one else's business but that of the buyer/seller.

Do what you want up in Ohio. Dont expect us to like it down south.

My point Ramrod, is not that somebody couldn't pay more or less for a rarer gun that may be collectable. Many guns are so common, they have really become commodities like a quart of milk or a gallon of gas. They have a known value to most of us here. When a gun is sold for clearly more than it is worth to a buyer who you know nothing about. I think that is irresponsible.

If I took a gun into a restroom and walked out without it, everyone on this board would consider me to be irresponsible and I probably shouldn't own guns. now if i sold the same gun with no concern who gets it. Whats the difference?

I find that part unlikely. However, I'm with you on wanting to be very careful to whom a gun is privately sold.

The buyer that pays extra might be a sucker; mostly fine. They might be someone who wants to to avoid a paper trail should the government decide they want to collect guns; fine, I get that. They could be someone with a known criminal record or some sort documented major mental instability who can't buy a gun in a store; not fine.

So far I don't think there is any law that will get a a private seller in trouble in that last case. But it would be a bad thing, and it might at least land you civil court for wrongful death if something bad did happen. Since the CHL/CCW license requires a background check, checking that or knowing the person you are selling to, seems like a prudent measure in my opinion.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I don't need permission from the gov't to buy/sell my private property....and I've bought several guns from friends... What do you mean by "unsafe environment"? Are you new to guns? What's your point?

As to When has this ever happened in the past?
    I was so close to putting my two cents in but this says what I was pretty much going to
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

My point Ramrod, is not that somebody couldn't pay more or less for a rarer gun that may be collectable. Many guns are so common, they have really become commodities like a quart of milk or a gallon of gas. They have a known value to most of us here. When a gun is sold for clearly more than it is worth to a buyer who you know nothing about. I think that is irresponsible.

If I took a gun into a restroom and walked out without it, everyone on this board would consider me to be irresponsible and I probably shouldn't own guns. now if i sold the same gun with no concern who gets it. Whats the difference?
    I'm starting to get a feel now of your intents. Responsibility is something I myself depend on each and every day. If it's not concerning firearms or CC...it's on the job, Responsibility= accountability. Commodities? They ride with the market....supply and demand. Known values change every day just like that gallon of milk or the gallon of gasoline. What we have got to realize is there are folks who don't live and succumb to the common market like you and I would think. Those willing to pay more that might very well be more financially secure than we are. For those.....price is not a major concern for something they want right now. Any time you want to sell something....there's a market for it. Granted....the market we expect may not be to our liking at the time. You and I are interacting right now.....we know nothing about each other personally. Would you sell me a gun? Would I offer you a gun for sale? With a total of 16 posts thus far.....I'd question your credentials even if you've been a member since 2008.
    Thing is....we all depend on our own personal ideals. Responsibility lies within each and every one of us.

When a gun is sold for clearly more than it is worth to a buyer who you know nothing about. I think that is irresponsible.

Most of us here will hold ourselves accountable for our actions. If you sell a gun to someone you know nothing about that's clearly over the market price, I personally don't think that's irresponsible on your part. How could it be? None of us are here without sin.....I know this simply because we are all human. Any time you'd feel irresponsible for an action.......is the time you don't follow through with it. It's a personal matter that nobody can help you with at the time. While I might be still confused as to your intents, I feel I have done my best to help you in any way I can. My opinions might carry some weight, but if they don't help you, I'll need to dig deeper into my own mind and find out where I've come up short with my reply. I'm wishing you peace this holiday season. Take that for what it's worth.

VIP Member

It all comes down to supply and demand. If I have something you want, and you are willing to pay my asking price, why shouldn't I get the most that I can?

Also asking price isn't necessarily selling price. You ask high so you have room to bargain. Car dealers do it all the time.

The guns I have sold privately have been to someone with a valid CHP or in 1 case a man with a valid FFL. I have also sold to individuals who did not have a CHP. In those cases they signed a bill of sale that stated they were a legal resident of the state, as well as they were not prohibited by law from purchasing/owning a weapon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When a gun is sold for clearly more than it is worth to a buyer who you know nothing about. I think that is irresponsible.
    What is it worth? Who gets to decide that? Guns are much like precious metals or artwork. They are worth exactly what the buyer will pay for them. They have no real value other than that.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

What is the answer because it isn't obvious to me... maybe I'm just ignorant to some conspiracy going on?
    Not really sure where you shop for guns but it certainly isn't from a legal private sale... Or if it is you are complaining about older metal and wood firearm models VS new polymer firearm model price...

I don't know about you but it is nice to know that I can sell my own property to a law abiding Ohio resident without having to pay $30 - $50 in fees per transaction.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Moderator
    Thats not really how it works. Responsibility and Government don't usually go in the same sentence.

Most of our gun laws are useless and serve no real purpose other than to take away freedom.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This is only an opinion but dithering about legitimate private gun transfers is inventing things to worry about. Read the story of Chicken Little.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links